Next Thread
Print Thread
#1705971 12/13/19 01:45 PM
M
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
M
I went to the mailbox this morning and got my Sports Illustrated and saw that Megan Rapinoe is the Sports Person of the year.

Looking at the cover, I thought to myself why? I can think of numerous other athletes that I would have chose for this award who are truly giving back to there communities.

Thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss who you would nominate if you had a vote.

Not trying to make this political at all and taking anything away from what Megan accomplished this year.

Legend
Legend
She is probably the best player on a team that dominates on the international stage.

Is there politics in play behind her selection? I have no idea...

But what she does on the field is absolutely worthy of recognition all on its own.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
She is probably the best player on a team that dominates on the international stage.

Is there politics in play behind her selection? I have no idea...

But what she does on the field is absolutely worthy of recognition all on its own.

And she spoke out on the policy of fair pay. Now some take issue with that part of it and I'm not here to either advocate nor detract from that message.

But it does seem these days that having the credentials as both an athlete and an activist are deciding factors in the Sports Person of The Year award.

To that measure, I think she qualifies on both counts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
What is the basis for the award? Is it strictly for excellence in your sport, or does it entail other things like charitable works, community service, or being an inspirational individual?

If its just for excellence in your sport, I suppose she's as good a choice as any other champion. If its intended as a "big picture" type award, I would nominate our own Carlos Carrasco.

Legend
Legend
The best part is that she then ripped SI for choosing her as the 4th woman to win the award (she thinks that number is too low). Also, she called SI racist and sexist for not having a diverse enough staff.

https://www.thewrap.com/megan-rapinoe-ca...pting-si-award/

I guess that's one way of saying thanks.

As far as her selection, I'd be lying if I think she was truly the "sports person of the year". However, she did excel in her sport, bring home the title and also ride the wave of speaking out against certain things in politics. I don't agree with what she said, but hey, that's not what we're here to talk about. Ultimately, she moved the needle and SI wanted to reward her for it. Good for her (even though I think there's a small sliver of SI attempting to be "woke" by selecting her, but there's always a sub reason for every other selection they've made too).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
M
I completely agree with all of your comments and only reason I asked is I really don't know what the requirements are. If it is for just excellence in a sport and on the field, then I completely agree she is deserving.

My understanding was that it was for excellence in a sport as well as giving back to the community etc.

To me someone like Cookie Carrasco is who I would vote for and I agree with you Dave.

Hell, as much as some of us might not like Lebron, in my mind he could win this award every year for what he does with the I Promise school etc.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Sports person of the year

Link Copied to Clipboard