Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

BernieKosar
268 subscribers
Iconic NFL Cleveland Browns Quarterback Bernie Kosar never won any points for doing things by the book. The six-foot-five, 200-pound QB had a messy stance, awkward throw, and was never the fastest guy on the field. But that didn't stop Bernie from being one of the most successful QBs ever to play the game, earning him a national championship with Miami University during his rookie season, and pass completion records with his beloved hometown team, the Cleveland Browns. In this special NFL Films interview with Steve Sabol about Bernie's peculiar yet effective playing style, top career moments highlight his ability to turn negatives into positives—and win games.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Can't tell you how many times, watching him live, or watching youtube videos I just think...................how on earth do he throw it there, when it looked like ???? There was nothing - zero - in his throwing motion that was normal.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’ve watched a few old Browns games lately, my buddy has YouTube TV.

Lol, we’re hardcore tech geeks. I watched the Drive from the start until Brennan’s TD - I knew what was coming. Also watched the 2002 game versus Atlanta and the playoff win over Buffalo in January 1990.

Anyway, my point was that Bernie made quick decisions and had excellent accuracy - those games were a pleasure, watching him run the O. He was my first Browns QB and I hope we return to prominence, so it can be like that again.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I dont remember Bernie for anything besides what my family would say ... and now that Ive watched all the old games, he was just so smart and aware. Ugly as hell, but effective

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Ugly as hell, but effective

Hey my wife says that about me all the time wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Processed info maybe faster than any QB in my days. Never tire of hearing him pre snap analyze things.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This is what being able to read and react post snap looks like in real terms. Bernie can tell you exactly what an opposing D is doing almost quicker than they can do it.

While he may lack in style points, his ability to shred a defense was a thing of beauty.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I still remember his game vs. the Dolphins in November '86.

He finally got some due respect from Marino after that.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
This is what being able to read and react post snap looks like in real terms. Bernie can tell you exactly what an opposing D is doing almost quicker than they can do it.

While he may lack in style points, his ability to shred a defense was a thing of beauty.

When I’d listen to him as a colour-man on TV, watching Browns pre-season games, his ability to predict the play call was uncanny.
I suppose he could teach a young QB some things about reading a D, but a lot of if it was just in him.
Innate.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
just watched the 85 playoff game against Miami.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: shotty66
just watched the 85 playoff game against Miami.

Glad to see we are still both kicking around, my friend.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
you too my friend hope all is well?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Bernie was my first sports hero and one of the main reasons I love the Cleveland Browns.

I'd seen that video before but it never gets old.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I watched the 1986 overtime game versus the Jets again last night and I was with a neighbor of mine who is much younger than me and was only 4 years old when the game was played.

He was in awe of how good Bernie really was as he had never seen the game before and he said to me holy crap look at how crazy the crowd is going.

I said to him yep as I was at the game and it was a blast back in the days. Hopefully we will get back to those days sooner than later.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bernie will always be my favorite Browns quarterback.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
This old Dawg has been around to see all of the QBs on the active rosters of our Browns game day time play. My top are: Otto,Bernie,Brian,Bill Nelson,Frank Ryan,Milt Plum. A backup who went on to have a big career elsewhere was Len Dawson. Bernie and Otto are my 1 A,1 B. Of the aforementioned only Milt Plum did not have 2 or more big play recievers (Ray Renfro) and was not permitted to audible at line.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I remember him for being incredibly accurate.

I recall him doing play by play and calling the play and alternative too many times. He could just look and click/click. Very impressive and I wonder why he was not used more by the Browns in some capacity.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Next to binging Ozark, that was the most fun watch during the lockdown...LOL Thanks That was Great.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

It is so ironic that I saw this thread.

Last night I was watching "some the the NFL greatest games." It was the Browns vs Jets playoff double overtime game.

No sports on TV. So I thought "well why not watch a game we win?"

So there is Bernie and I am watching.

I am a person who has spent countless hours teaching mechanics. Specifically baseball and in particular hitting and pitching. I am also a lifetime fly fisherman. I understand mechanics and their role in execution of efficiency.

Then there is Bernie. Not like I didn't know Bernie and his methods.

Still it is crazy to watch how fundamentally bad Bernie's was mechanics were.

And I am a huge fan of his. He is living proof that end results are what matter forget the road on how to get there.

So, I go to dawgtalkers ready to start a thread about Bernie. And Bam there it is.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Bernie Kosar: Master of the Unorthodox

Link Copied to Clipboard