Next Thread
Print Thread
#1761822 05/09/20 10:56 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I have been wanting to make this thread for a long, long time. As an athlete, most of my friends were black dudes. We would play sports, work out, and listen to music. Interesting enough, my parents were also into soul music, especially my mother. Music was always blaring from our ornate mahogany counsel

Anyway, I hope we don't argue what constitutes smooth soul. My generic definition is there was that time period right after the height of Motown, where Disco got big and then there was the more romantic off-shoot of Motown that some of us call Smooth Soul.

I'll start w/just two. And keep adding. I really, really hope this thread gets legs. I love this music and I wouldn't mind weaving in some social discussions that go w/the music.

This first song is the definition of "cool." You can rock this song anywhere. I love blasting it from my convertible when cruising in the city. I think it was from 1973 or thereabouts, but it still rocks w/young folks today.

My second edition is another cool song. It has a great beat and makes you wanna strut. It's part soul, part funk......pure genius.

Yo Dawgs...........please don't post more than one or two vids at a time. People tend to not watch them if there are too may entries.

Let's hear your groove w/smooth soul songs.

Btw.............I'll post a couple of more soon in case some aren't sure what smooth soul is like. After about 4 or so, most of you will get it.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This song somehow reminds me of a peacock strut. Oh, and here is a clue on how to jam along, y'all. When you dance w/the blues, your head bobs up and down. When you jam w/soul, your head moves side to side and lowers as you get to the outside of each beat.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
And bros from Canton, Ohio.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Alright, one more for now. Unlike Al Green and some of the other male artists, Teddy Pendegrass had a deep, more masculine voice. It worked equally well, as this song by Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes demonstrates:

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Albeit a cover, maybe a bit more uptempo in the end rather than smooth, but there's a lot going on here.

TIna's cover is very much in that soulful groove. You can really make out the modifications with the b3 interval all throughout her rendition.

I'll also add Otis Redding as another example to what Tina made popular with her CCR cover. Redding's got some great renditions of popular songs.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
And of course "don't ever be sad..."

P
Legend
Legend
P
When I read the thread title, one name popped into my mind first. Barry White.

And of course Marvin Gaye

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

Dave #1762095 05/11/20 01:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Man, I haven't heard that one in a couple of decades either.

Good stuff.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The Spinners were kind of an underrated group. They had some very nice songs, such as Working My Way Back to You, Could it Be I'm Falling in Love, and this one:

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I've always loved this music. maybe because they played all genre's on the same radio station when I was growing up. that's what I miss about AM radio.
my youtube is not displaying like it should so i'll just drop a few names of my favorites.
I guess my all time favorite belly rubber would be she's a lady by skylark. the same would be me and mrs jones by billy paul. al green is nothing but smooth.

stepping up the BPM spiral staircase with I love you more today than yesterday. stevie recorded that one also along with Bruno mars and hundreds of others.
one more thing before I shut up. imo Bruno is the most gifted singer on the planet. he doesn't need any gimmicks or ride a bands shirt tail he can just walk out by himself and bring down the house.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Smooth Soul

Link Copied to Clipboard