Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
I’m not a huge fan of this particular incentive, but I dont know all of the particulars. It seems to me that franchises should want to hire the best individuals, but clearly that isn’t the case.

We’ll see if this helps

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To paraphrase Clay Travis, I don't care if the coach is a 3 foot tall, pink and purple, polka dotted, transexual dwarf, as long as he wins games.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Tony Dungy fears “unintended consequences” of proposed Rooney Rule expansion:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...rule-expansion/

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I haven't read the new rules on this. is this on a trial basis? if everyone from the owner on down is a minority will this rule end?

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It isn't a rule. It's a proposal.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: KNOXDAWG
I haven't read the new rules on this. is this on a trial basis? if everyone from the owner on down is a minority will this rule end?

It was tabled.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
What is this? Some kind of half assed affirmative action? I already disagree with the Rooney rule.

Last edited by tastybrownies; 05/26/20 09:08 AM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm glad that they are looking at the Rooney Rule, just disappointed that this idea was the result.

Honestly, I'm tempted to believe that this idea was just to check a box so they can say they're trying to do something about it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
What is this? Some kind of half assed affirmative action? I already disagree with the Rooney rule.

A policy created and designed to seek equality that ironically creates more inequality.

Seems about right for 2020.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The Rooney rule is counter intuitive. If there's a person who is racist inside the team organization get rid of them. Otherwise just hire the best person for the job whatever color or gender they may be. I don't care if they give the offensive coordinator position to a kid as long as that person produces good results!

Last edited by tastybrownies; 05/26/20 03:36 PM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Legend
Legend
T
Gc.

I Glanced Over and read the Title of the thread.

In theory it seems like a Really Good idea and if only it would make a real difference, then you might have something.
Sadly nothing can ever be easy.

Rookie
Rookie
I realize I should stick to the pure football area, but I really do feel an obligation to try to post some thought provoking perspective when browns fans start talking racial equality...

My father lost his dad at 6. Grew up poor as a dog in Fremont Ohio. Worked in a mill cutting steel pipes at 16 to support his mom and little brother. Worked his ass off, becoming a naval officer during Vietnam, and then a college professor. He's retired now, wealthy, honest, hard working, amazing guy.

But despite his humble start, he was still way ahead of 99% of blacks just by being born white. He didn't have to contend with systematic racism, childhood friends pushing him into a gang, cops kneeling on his neck, or all the other garbage blacks deal with to this day.

These rules that encourage minority hires, while unfathomable to many of you, are designed to help offset the massive disparity in how things are in this world between a white person and a minority. You say things like "just hire the best candidate" as if the playing field were level, but it isn't.

Two guys race, and we hire the winner. But one guy has had his shoes taken away, and been punched in the gut.
So the other guy will win. But is the winner really the fastest runner?

Anyway, think about it, or troll some racist garbage, or ignore it. Whatever floats your boats. I just want to put this perspective out there for consideration, because I see so much naivite in the "just hire the best guy" narritive.

Last edited by Groundawg; 05/30/20 04:28 AM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I get that there are problems w/trying to implement rules when it comes to hiring minorities in the NFL, but something needs to be done.

Minorities account for 70+ percent of the players in the NFL. Meanwhile, I think there are only four minority head coaches. Tomlin, Flores, Lynn, and Rivera. What's that? 12.5 percent. These percentages seem out of whack. Thus, when a group of individuals refuse to practice equal and fair hiring policies, others must step-in and help protect the rights of those being unfairly treated.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Your percentages argument presumes players want to be coaches.

I don't know how many, but I Bet it's less than 100%.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think many here agree with you in principal. I know that I do. It makes for a very difficult situation. In this case I think the rule being proposed can be manipulated to help the teams while it may do little or nothing to actually help in establish long term goals for minority hiring.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Your percentages argument presumes players want to be coaches.

I don't know how many, but I Bet it's less than 100%.

O Click here if you are not a bot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NFL: Minortiy Hiring to Improve Draft Position?

Link Copied to Clipboard