Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The NFL fined three head coaches for not wearing masks on the sidelines during the game in Week 2.

Denver's Vic Fangio, Seattle's Pete Carroll and San Francisco's Kyle Shanahan were each fined $100,000 for not wearing masks on the sidelines according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Their teams were fined another $250,000 according to the report.

The league sent a memo to every team after Week 1 reminding coaches that they needed to wear a face covering — either a mask or a shield — while on the sidelines.

"I think you have to consider everything. It’s your livelihood," Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said last week. "We live off the communication in a critical moment and you want to be able to speak clearly. We gotta continue to work on the best way to make that happen."

This is clearly a rule that the league is going to enforce. They issued $1.05 million in total fines.

That doesn't include Monday night's matchup between the Raiders and Saints.

Taylor wore a neck sleeve face covering on Thursday against the Browns. Other coaches like Kansas City's Andy Reid have opted to wear a face shield.

Every NFL coach is in the same COVID-19 protocol as the players, but the league wants every coach to wear a face covering for the duration of the game.

Taylor and the other 31 head coaches need to be diligent. If they don't abide by the rules, then they're going to have to pay a hefty price.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/nfl-fines-head-coaches-masks

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Does anyone else find this rule bizarre? What's the point in coaches wearing masks on the sideline when 1) everybody is being tested all the time and 2) none of the players are wearing them?

Is this to protect the "older" coaches? I thought masks prevented spread, not the other way around.

This feels like doing something for show.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I agree. Especially when you see the players aren't wearing them but the officials on the field are.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I like Andy Reids face shield type, it looks easier to wear, I don't mind the windshield wiper need game 1 either, I think all the Head Coaches should go with this, find a version that works and move on.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 09/22/20 05:33 PM. Reason: name spelling

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Why is some people only care about accountability sometimes? The NFL rules on this were established before the season began and these coaches chose to ignore them. When you refuse to follow the rules you pay the price. Isn't that what rules and laws were established for?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Why is some people only care about accountability sometimes? The NFL rules on this were established before the season began and these coaches chose to ignore them. When you refuse to follow the rules you pay the price. Isn't that what rules and laws were established for?

Totally agree.

If they had voiced concern or were protesting an unfair rule starting before the games I'd be on the side of the coaches.

As it is, they know the rules, and really it's not asking much to wear a face shield.

Heck look at Bill Bellichek the genius, he has a mask that is clearly too small for his face and his nose and half his mouth is exposed but still satisfies the rule haha, he's even good at masks!

Legend
Legend
I can agree. Was this rule/penalty set up with players union or handed down. If you break it, you have the right to move on after paying your fine. Free will is alive and well and you can embrace all the consequences you choose.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This does not seem like "Pure Football." It fits better in the EE forum or even the Political forum, considering who posted it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Does anyone else find this rule bizarre? What's the point in coaches wearing masks on the sideline when 1) everybody is being tested all the time and 2) none of the players are wearing them?

Is this to protect the "older" coaches? I thought masks prevented spread, not the other way around.

This feels like doing something for show.

The $100k per coach and $250k fines for the team is for show no doubt. That's a lot of zeroes for violating a small cog in the machine. BUT one of the analysts on the Monday night game mentioned that play callers are allowed to move it when calling plays so.. the rules are the rules.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
I would think that would be incredibly uncomfortable... I find it interesting that he wears a full head/face covering during cold months but wears this kiddie mask currently that barely covers his mouth

<><

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: myka
Heck look at Bill Bellichek the genius, he has a mask that is clearly too small for his face and his nose and half his mouth is exposed but still satisfies the rule haha, he's even good at masks!

That was a hilarious and big middle finger at the NFL.

It kinda looked like a beak. Lol

D
Legend
Legend
D
For months we've been told masks were to protect others from us, in case we were asymptomatic carriers, but that masks wouldn't protect us from being infected. So now these coaches are on the sideline with people who (along with themselves) are tested daily and are virus-free. But never-the-less His Highness, King Roger, gets to bigfoot his way into their wallets anyway? Goodell and the NFL are a freaking joke.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dave
For months we've been told masks were to protect others from us, in case we were asymptomatic carriers, but that masks wouldn't protect us from being infected. So now these coaches are on the sideline with people who (along with themselves) are tested daily and are virus-free. But never-the-less His Highness, King Roger, gets to bigfoot his way into their wallets anyway? Goodell and the NFL are a freaking joke.

This.

Do things because it's the right thing to do and it makes sense. Nothing about the coaches wearing masks makes sense.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I think it’s mostly for show. I doubt the NFL really thinks it makes anyone safer ... they’re already as safe as it probably gets. The stupid stuff like “no handshakes” or whatever is just for PR

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
It is completely for show. With all of the other protocols they have in place, it is nothing more than a completely useless prop that makes for good TV.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
It is completely for show. With all of the other protocols they have in place, it is nothing more than a completely useless prop that makes for good TV.

If your a player and you grab a guy by the face mask it's penalty right?

You've broken a rule that you were aware of.

So, the rule is wear a mask..

If you don't, you have broken a rule you are aware of..

What's the difference.

Not commenting on if it's needed or not, just commenting on the rules.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So, you quoted something commenting on it not being needed that doesn't mention the rules, lol wink smile

Yes, it is absolutely the rules. And yes, the coaches know the rules and because of that they absolutely earned their fines.

That doesn't change the fact that the rules exist purely for show and are totally pointless except that it makes for good TV.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:

So, you quoted something commenting on it not being needed that doesn't mention the rules, lol wink smile

Yes, it is absolutely the rules. And yes, the coaches know the rules and because of that they absolutely earned their fines.

That doesn't change the fact that the rules exist purely for show and are totally pointless except that it makes for good TV.

You are saying that it doesn't change why the rules exist.. That's probably a discussion best suited for the political thread.

And while that is true, it doesn't change the rules...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
j/c

Here's what I think the point is. Some people understand that setting an example is important. That being a leader and showing the public the right thing to do matters. The NFL is a corporation. As such they have an image to protect. They make choices as to what they feel best suits that image. Some agree with those decisions and some don't. But it is their prerogative to do so.

So I guess one could call that for show. From a differing perspective it is a corporation that feels setting the right example to the public matters. Whether that decision is based upon principal or simply for image is certainly debatable.

These coaches knew these rules. They should be treated no differently than the players in regards to breaking the rules or the protocol. Let's face it, players even have uniform rules that dictate what type of socks they can wear. And nobody is dying because they're wearing the wrong socks. So there's that. I don't hear fans complaining when a player gets fined for uniform infractions and this isn't any different.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
No one is saying the coaches didn't break the rules or shouldn't be fined for that.

Mostly the comments have been on the absurdity of the rule. If the NFL wanted to set an example, as you say, why not just cancel the season? Isn't that the ultimate example?

Instead they decided to move forward with the season. They put testing protocols in place. They test frequently. Coaches and players. Then they go out and play a game where no players where masks, bump into each other, spit and breathe in each other's faces, all for the enjoyment of us.

But their coaches who are on the sidelines who are also being tested and are not engaging in any physical activity at all have to wear masks. It's absurd.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And if that's your opinion so be it. However, your opinion seems to be an all or nothing proposition on the matter. Either no games or no rules for people who aren't actually "in the game". You see, it would be impossible to play while wearing a mask. So it seems to me for those who are not engaging in the physical activity, wearing a mask would not be difficult.

I really do not disagree with you about setting an example by not playing games. That would be the ultimate way to set an example. However, as I stated in my previous post, the NFL is a corporation. Volunteering to lose billions of dollars is not a reasonable expectation for entities that are solely in place for the purpose to make money.

I simply don't see those who are not engaged in physical activity being expected to wear masks as some "absurd" expectation.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I simply don't see those who are not engaged in physical activity being expected to wear masks as some "absurd" expectation.

Why not? They are all around the same people who are constantly being tested. If you think that's not true or there are some gaps in the system, then you are putting the players at risk because they are not required to wear masks at all.

There is no good reason for coaches to wear masks. And if you can think of one, then that same reason would apply to the players, who are not required to wear masks.

I'm struggling to find the logic with requiring the coaches to wear masks. If it is "to set a good example", that would be somewhat comical considering the guys who are closest together and engaging in activities more likely to cause spread aren't required to wear them.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I've made my points and they do hold some validity. They simply aren't good enough for you and that's fine.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Why not? They are all around the same people who are constantly being tested. If you think that's not true or there are some gaps in the system, then you are putting the players at risk because they are not required to wear masks at all.

There is no good reason for coaches to wear masks. And if you can think of one, then that same reason would apply to the players, who are not required to wear masks.

I'm struggling to find the logic with requiring the coaches to wear masks. If it is "to set a good example", that would be somewhat comical considering the guys who are closest together and engaging in activities more likely to cause spread aren't required to wear them.

With so many coaches that are in a high profile position (we're not talking the ball boys here) purposefully not wearing them, perhaps they realize there's a point where 'setting a good example' bleeds in to perpetuating the hype an exaggeration that covers the whole topic. Not being honest about the size and scope of a problem is counter productive to managing and even solving that problem.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

R
Legend
Legend
R
Not quite sure what you are trying to say, but the only reason this is even a topic is because of the silly rule requiring coaches to wear them to begin with. Now all of a sudden if they don't it's setting a bad example. When if common sense was exercised to begin with the whole world would have known why the coaches weren't wearing them...because they are adhering to protocols and constantly being tested as part of the deal to come back and play.

If the rule had never been implemented no one would have said "why aren't the coaches wearing masks on the sidelines?"...while 250 lb men run around breathing hard just yards from them with no masks.

Idiocy.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Not quite sure what you are trying to say, but the only reason this is even a topic is because of the silly rule requiring coaches to wear them to begin with. Now all of a sudden if they don't it's setting a bad example. When if common sense was exercised to begin with the whole world would have known why the coaches weren't wearing them...because they are adhering to protocols and constantly being tested as part of the deal to come back and play.

If the rule had never been implemented no one would have said "why aren't the coaches wearing masks on the sidelines?"...while 250 lb men run around breathing hard just yards from them with no masks.

Idiocy.

I guess my point was that it appears that not everyone in the NFL is in lock step with the Covid hype and paranoia as some would like us to believe. Clearly I don't know for certain what their motivations for such a blatant violation is, but it appears to me that they are possibly more reflective of that group of people who are willing to do their part, but "their part" is going to be defined by reasonableness and common sense, not grand standing and hype.

Given the protocols in place, making them wear masks on the sidelines is like those people who wear masks in the car when its just themselves.

Having said that, although the amount of the fines is more reflective of virtue signaling over public safety, the rules are the rules.

-Jack Burton

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
If they can fine players for wearing the wrong socks, they can fine coaches for not wearing masks. Wearing the wrong socks has never killed anyone.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL fines three head coaches $100K each for not wearing masks on sidelines

Link Copied to Clipboard