Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
My fellow Shocker has been named Manager of the Year. Great job to him and the tribe! Pretty good job for a guy that fans have been calling for his head now for a few years!!!

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=290147

SN awards: A-Rod is player of the year
E-MAIL Print Comment 28

Posted: October 15, 2007
Sporting News

The ballots are in from 488 major league baseball players and 30 managers -- it's time to unveil Sporting News' 2007 baseball awards. Both managers of the year and the player of the year helped push their teams into the postseason, and a few of the All-Stars selected by their peers played into October, as well.

Player of the year

Alex Rodriguez, Yankees: The numbers Alex Rodriguez put up in the 2007 regular season are straight out of a video game: 54 home runs, 156 RBIs and 143 runs, all tops in the majors. He hit .314 and posted a career-best .422 on-base percentage. Even the one stat that declined significantly was a good thing: A-Rod's errors dropped from 24 in 2006 to 13 in '07. Here's one other A-Rod number: 72.3. That's the percent of major league players -- 353 out of the 488 who participated -- who voted for A-Rod as Sporting News player of the year.

AL manager of the year

Eric Wedge, Indians: Based on 14 A.L. managers' ballots, Wedge received six votes, two more than the Angels' Mike Scosia.

NL manager of the year

Bob Melvin, Diamondbacks: Based on the 16 N.L. managers' ballots, Melvin got six votes. The Phillies' Charlie Manuel received five.

Other AL awards

Rookie of the year: Dustin Pedroia, 2B, Red Sox: After hitting .182 in April, he hit .333 the rest of the way and supplied strong defense.

Comeback player of the year: Carlos Pena, 1B, Devil Rays: A year after hitting one homer in 33 big league at-bats, Pena swatted 46.

All-Stars:
C.C. Sabathia, P, Indians
Carlos Pena, 1B, Devil Rays
Placido Polanco, 2B, Tigers
Derek Jeter, SS, Yankees
Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees
Jorge Posada, C, Yankees
Magglio Ordonez, OF, Tigers
Ichiro Suzuki, OF, Mariners
Vladimir Guerrero, OF, Angels
David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox
*Joe Borowski, RP, Indians

Other NL awards

Rookie of the year: Ryan Braun, 3B, Brewers: He hit 34 homers and drove in 97 runs -- and batted .324 -- in roughly four months.

Comeback player of the year: Dmitri Young, 1B, Nationals: A season after he was released, Young finished eighth in the N.L. batting race.

All-Stars:
Jake Peavy, P, Padres
Prince Fielder, 1B, Brewers
Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies
Hanley Ramirez, SS, Marlins
David Wright, 3B, Mets
Matt Holliday, OF, Rockies
Carlos Lee, OF, Astros
Aaron Rowand, OF, Phillies
Russell Martin, C, Dodgers
*Jose Valverde, RP, Diamondbacks

*Relief pitchers determined by saves plus wins.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
Legend
Legend
Well deserved.

This team is a reflection of its manager .... and they're pretty damn good.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
That is hilarious as the local afternoon sports talk guy has been calling for Wedge to be fired all season long.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

Way to go..Well Deserved......

Legend
Legend
Would you look at that. Two of the guys I have defended all year long win Just more proof that some of the posters around here are

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
...not trying to pick this thread apart too muchj.

I revised the title a bit. Wedge isn't the "manager of the year for MLB". This is from the Sporting News. While meaningful, it's not the real award. The title is a bit misleading.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Yeah, the Sporting News is just sort of a news magazine award ... nothing really THAT prestigious. Kind of like getting a Nobel Peace Prize these days.

Legend
Legend
Sporting News may have run it, but if I read it correctly, the other AL managers are the ones that voted... so that's a bit more legit than a dozen know-nothings at the magazine deciding on it....

And excl, I use both of my noble peace prizes to hold open the double doors to my study... what do you do with yours?

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum EWedge...manager of the year!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard