Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

Just adding this, Braden Smith is their RT (I think he was drafted the same year they took LG Nelson early) He's a good-very good RT, I recall he had a superb rookie year with him...Weakness on their Oline is RG, obviously IF LT Castonzo doesn't play...LT will be worrisome for them as well....C Ryan Kelly is underrated imho he's tough...Nelson is the best LG in the league.

Luckily they are missing their weapons with Paris and Pittman are out...Hilton and Pascal are their tops, and last weak Marcus Johnson got called up and played well...TE Doyle was hurt to start the season...But their TE core is pretty deep (Doyle, Trey Burton, and Mo Allie)

RB core is nice...We all know Jonathan Taylor, strong kid-runs really hard....Hines is used a lot as their pass back, and he is smooth as well....Wilkins gets a few looks, he is tiny but has some gear(s) to him...That's a nice core despite Marlon Mack being on IR.

We obviously have to force QB Rivers into mistakes...as he is not mobile, and is a gun slinger...Pressure is a must imho, and odd looks.

Their D is talented...Everyone says how strong they are...I don't see that...I see how quick and sound they are...They set wide, which is different but they steer their gaps flawlessly.

Buckner looks so good in there, Autry is tough with a high motor...I know the past couple years they've been drafting talent here (Lewis and Banogu) whom are their "wave" players as of now....They have a nice rotation. I won't lie, I don't know their Nose tackle at all.

LBs are sound and quick to get downhill...Remember when a lot of us questioned the Leonard pick? Man I was wrong there...He is a phenom, be huge is he is out...But I think he plays.

I think we need to get the safeties off, trickery or off looks...as they are both super young (Blackmon is a rookie, and Khari Willis was a rookie last year) But they seem to doing a great job back there. Rhodes and TJ Carrie seem to be playing well (after both were considered poor last year) Ya-Sin seems to be coming along for them.

Should be a good game, however what scares me most....our defense is just flat out awful...I just see them being able to stop us a lot more than we can dream of stopping them (even though they don't have a flying offense, I just see our D giving room for easy points)

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good news!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not worried about Cleveland's offense. But the shoddy defense has me worried. They need to do MUCH better if the team is going to contend this year.

-Allowed 6th most points in the league (126 vs. Indy's league-best 56)
-Allowed 3rd most passing yards in the league (1242 vs. Indy's league-best 637)
-Allowed 8th most yards/game in the league (310.5 vs. Indy's league-best 236.2)

Cleveland's defensive strengths have been against the run and takeaways. They've been 5th best against the run with 367 yards vs. Indy's 4th best of 308 yards. They lead the league with 2.5 takeaways/game vs. Indy's third best of 1.8 takeaways/game. Cleveland also leads the league in turnover differential with +6 while Indy is third with +4.

Don't forget that Cleveland's stats are against opponents with a combined record of 6-9-1 with half of those wins from the Ravens alone and the others from 1-win teams. Not really beacons of excellence for those saying Indy hasn't had great competition against their opponents with a combined record of 6-11. We can't keep relying on the Browns offense to score 30+ points every game. It's only a matter of time until the Browns offense will have a bad game and need to rely on the defense to carry them to a win. The defense has to get its act together very soon.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T&sort=totyds

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/turnovers.html

All Pro
All Pro
It's going to be an interesting litmus test.

After losing their 1st game to Jacksonville (who have since not won another game), Indy beat Chicago (who have otherwise somehow, inexplicably not lost a game).

Not sure how much credit I can give them for the Jets game, but much like Cincinnati started playing real football after we beat them, the Vikings started playing after the Colts beat them.

Not sure how much credit I can give us for beating Washington either, so this game will give both teams' fan bases a much better idea of whether their team is playoff ready in my opinion.

Should be fun.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Agree w/most of that.

Excluding fans of the Browns and Colts, I think a lot of followers are a bit skeptical of both teams due their schedules, last year's disappointing records, and that both qbs threw a ton of picks last year.

Right or wrong, I think the national perception will be that the winner will started to be taken seriously and the loser will be receive the "they are who we thought they were" label.

It's a "swing" game for both teams when it comes to national respect.

All Pro
All Pro
Not saying the loser can't or won't make the playoffs, just that this game should go a long way to establishing the team that does win (confidence wise). Then again, if the media starts taking Cleveland more seriously, we'll probably lose the rest of our games. smile

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
I'll buy most of that, especially since it's early in the season... 4-1 raises eyebrows, 3-2 means, well, just about average.

With that said, it will depend on what kind of win it is. If both teams go out and play well and the game is decided late, it may not taint the view of the loser much.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Legend
Legend
T
We are juggernaut, they can't stop us. Eve dog.

The key is the defense, the Browns defense, if the Browns defense can make plays, get turnovers,
I mean Phillip Rivers throws turnovers too,

if the Browns defense and team, forces the colts into must pass situations, and then intercepts those passes, that would be a good time for the Browns.

I'm not sure what kind of running attacks the Colts have faced so far,
maybe I'll look into it.

A lot of the argument of not facing good teams, doesn't hold much water with me in week 5, because in 4 games,
everyone you faced is good or bad based 25% with how they played the day you were playing them, so if you are a good team and win, then 25% of all of your opponents through 4 weeks were teams that lost to you that day.

We are juggernaut, they can't stop us. Eve dog.

The recipe hasn't changed.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
All the Tight Ends for the Browns are going to have to get involved.

Hunt is going to have to have a big game.

Landry, and OBJ are going to have to get involved and have a big game.

The Browns defense is going to have to hang on to and create turnovers.

Baker is going to have to have a good day.

Browns running game is going to have a lot of combined yards.

And the Browns are going to come away with a Win, a Big Win.

And the Browns Defense may be the Catalyst.

Myles Garrett, do we even have to say it, Wrecking Machine.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Agree w/most of that.

Excluding fans of the Browns and Colts, I think a lot of followers are a bit skeptical of both teams due their schedules, last year's disappointing records, and that both qbs threw a ton of picks last year.

Right or wrong, I think the national perception will be that the winner will started to be taken seriously and the loser will be receive the "they are who we thought they were" label.

It's a "swing" game for both teams when it comes to national respect.

This is 100% spot on except for...

I will say all the talking heads pregame are going on and on and on about how Indy is for real and the Browns are only 3-1 because of their work schedule. Meanwhile, no mention of Indy's schedule.

Please, please Browns...I hope you are listening and using this as motivation. Go and take the victory. Baker, have the light switch come on and put on a show.

Let's go. Sick of losing. Keep reading "oh we'll probably lose at least one of the next two if not both". Screw that. Win them both. Indy is beatable. Pitt is beatable. Go and win. Tired of being losers. And this fanbase has the biggest loser mentality. I get it. It's ingrained in us. But screw that. Let's make sure times are changing.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Some positive press.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We're going against a number one defense with the unfortunate truth that their #1 ranking is hung on the backs of teams (Jags, Jets, Vikes, & Bears) middle of the pack to bottom third in rushing and points scored, while we are #1 in rushing and #4 in points scored. I'm not saying the Colt's D isn't good, just that there are mitigating factors. That D may not look as good 7:30 Sunday if our run game gets going and crisp, confident Baker shows up. I do wish Chubb could play, but Hunt will have to carry the load. He's pretty damn good at it. The Colts haven't yet faced a run game like ours.

I'll be the first to admit after the opening game I was certain it was SSDY, but I'm starting to believe. I see discipline, execution, and success. I also see Stafanski having success scheming against other teams, exploiting weaknesses and tempering strengths. Right now, he has the offense playing at a high level. I expect a lot of the FB, TEs and OBJ. Landry is always involved. I don't know much about the Colts secondary, but I'm looking forward to seeing Rashad and getting a look at DPJ at WR.

In the past, Rivers has carved us up. He has a 5-2 record against us. But in the past we didn't have Myles Garrett. Or an offense. Or a coach. Or very much talent. Or the will to win. Or very much of anything. All that has changed. Rivers is a crafty vet, but he's only scoring middle of the pack. The best defense against him is keep him off the field. Second best is disrupt him as much as possible. We are well suited to do both. The reality is, our high powered offense doesn't have to score staggering numbers. It just needs to outscore Rivers. Very doable, IMO.

I recognize this as a pivotal game. A win would be an excellent momentum builder going into the games against pitt, cincy, and the Raiders. I also believe we need to win games like this if we are to be taken seriously as contenders. I think it's possible. I didn't a few weeks ago, but I do now. That's a good feeling. Browns by ten.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Tonight against a pretty good D we will find out if our O is really that good.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I just have to say I think the deciding factor will be Phillip Rivers. He's completing 72% of his passes and has the ability to pick a secondary apart. We have given up a lot in the passing game against lesser QB's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I just have to say I think the deciding factor will be Phillip Rivers. He's completing 72% of his passes and has the ability to pick a secondary apart. We have given up a lot in the passing game against lesser QB's.

This is true, we have to force him to turn that ball over today.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Tonight against a pretty good D we will find out if our O is really that good.

I think they are,

The Browns Defense is going to have to win this game.

Cowher and Esiason-I believe it was him,
Just picked the Browns to win on pregame.

If you asked me to pick this game, I'm picking the Colts to win, and hoping I'm wrong.

Just...

Browns Defense from 3 or 3 and a half years ago, ...
Plus, if the Browns were regularly getting the ball to 3 WR's ... they're not even getting it to 2.

I hope I'm wrong.

My brain can't let my heart overlook the points per allowed by both defenses, 14 Colts, 31 Browns and think all of a sudden... ... frown

Browns Run defense = a key to this game, Believe that!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

This is true, we have to force him to turn that ball over today.

That percentage is a little inflated, it's been mostly a short passing game as his arm strength has deterioated. With that said, I just hope we're tackling well and hold them to FG's.

T
Legend
Legend
T
One of two things is going to happen in the Browns game today.

The Browns are going to run all over the Colts, and get them in a shoot out, from on the Ground, A boot out, so to speak, and the Colts won't be able to keep up.

or, it's not pretty for the Browns.

The Recipe hasn't changed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 32 Colts 23 Colts at Browns Matchup.

Link Copied to Clipboard