Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Just throwing these out there. Interested to dig into these topics for my own football education.

1. Browns Identity + Complementary Football
At various points over the last few games, the talking heads talked about complementary football (the offense and defense of a team synergistically making plays that help each other). If we're a running team (can we even say that, at this point?), does that mean we should look to build a more well-rounded, smothering defense? It seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that the recent ground-and-pound offenses have had stout, elite defenses while the high-scoring passing offenses have done well with weaker but opportunistic defenses (ones that probably won't win a game on their own, but give the offenses the ball a couple times each game).

2. Hunt
Has he looked a little off over the past couple (2-3) games? He looks less like the violent battering ram and more like a Chubb impersonator.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
1. I don't think you can say that we are running team or a passing team. We are a dynamic team. We will be whomever we need to be to beat you, and we can do that because we have the personnel and the coaching to make that happen. A smothering defense that doesn't give much ground will rarely give up many points and in turn it complements any offense. Whether you are in a shootout or a slugfest, it will give you at least a one possession advantage.

2. I'm sure he's fine. Maybe a little extra dancing in the hole lately as we've played some stout run defenses and room to run has been hard to come by.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I actually think that Stefanski WANTS us to be versatile and not labeled as “this kind of team.” (In fact, we KNOW that’s what he wants)

And I think that he looks past this week, or this year even ... every game is looked at as setting up other games as well. I think we are THAT detailed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
1. I think we "are who we need to be" against any given opponent. I've said it before. If your opponent has a stout run D and a weak secondary, you throw against them. If they have a stout secondary and a weak front seven, you run against them. That's what I've seen.

I liken it to being a chameleon rather than try and force a square peg into a round hole. That's the best identity a team can have. One where your opponent has no idea what's coming next and taking advantage of their weaknesses. We have the QB, WR's, OL and RB's to make those things happen. We weren't built with only one dimension in mind.

2. I'm not sure what to make of the production decline of Hunt. I like him working out of the backfield as a pass catcher but his rushing seems to have suffered a bit. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I haven't looked at his stats or anything, or would even say he's 'declined'. Just that he looks different getting the ball in his hands. Where before he looked like a cannon ball just after ignition, now I see some dancing.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
This is what the Patriots had been doing for years under BB and Brady. Identify the weakness of a particular D and attack it accordingly.

In fact, for this week, I hope our staff looks at tape of those games between Steelers (same D all these years) and the Patriots. Spread them out, short ball control passing, then run it down there throats. Always susceptible to a nice trick play as well. Think Jarvis and deep pass downfield - timing of said play must be right.

Legend
Legend
The Browns have proven they can run with anybody or they can throw with anybody, depending on what the defense tries to take away. We just need to work on being able to do them consistently and get to the point where we can run or throw even if that's what they know you are going to do. And I don't think either type of offense determines the defense. Everybody wants an elite, smothering defense, regardless of what type of offense you have.

Not sure on Hunt, I think he has looked ok. I just wish we would be more inclined to go with whichever one has had the hot hand when it gets late in the game. Follow the plan for 3 quarters but if one is being noticeably more productive than the other, he should get the bulk of the carries in crunch time.

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2 Topics I Thought of During the Pitt Game

Link Copied to Clipboard