Next Thread
Print Thread
#1847730 02/11/21 05:31 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
As I grew into my early adult years, I learned a great lesson from my mom. It was the year I started working at Geauga Lake and finally had my own money to spend that I earned. I asked my mom a few days before Mother’s Day “Mom, what do you want for Mother’s Day ?” She told me “That’s nice that you want to get me something with your own money this year, and I’ll tell you what I’d like. However, I want you to know a single day isn’t that big of a deal to me. What matters is how you and your sister always show your love to me even in the days when it’s not Mother’s Day.” I’ve taken that lesson and applied it ever since. One gesture doesn’t define how much someone cares; what matters is the overall comprehensive effort.

So as we think about what Mark Cuban has done, I ask that you consider the lesson from my mother. Are we lesser or greater Americans based on playing the anthem before a sporting event?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Probably not. But we continue to celebrate Mothers Day out of respect and tradition.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, I don't get it.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
As I grew into my early adult years, I learned a great lesson from my mom. It was the year I started working at Geauga Lake and finally had my own money to spend that I earned. I asked my mom a few days before Mother’s Day “Mom, what do you want for Mother’s Day ?” She told me “That’s nice that you want to get me something with your own money this year, and I’ll tell you what I’d like. However, I want you to know a single day isn’t that big of a deal to me. What matters is how you and your sister always show your love to me even in the days when it’s not Mother’s Day.” I’ve taken that lesson and applied it ever since. One gesture doesn’t define how much someone cares; what matters is the overall comprehensive effort.

So as we think about what Mark Cuban has done, I ask that you consider the lesson from my mother. Are we lesser or greater Americans based on playing the anthem before a sporting event?

I'd say this is a bit like the majority of folks that go to Church on Sunday and the other days of the week they have a tendency to be absolute selfish buttholes and spread hate and constantly judge others ... while not living a moment expressing the values their religion allegedly promotes.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I think not playing the anthem at the games was a dumb idea to even try to Implement to begin with.

It literally does nothing to further the discussion of what the inequality topics are suppose to be about.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd agree with you if I thought Cuban's intentions were good. IMO, this reeks of stirring up drama for its own sake.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Cuban can be pompous, but it wasn’t even him who made a point to say “hey, we aren’t doing this anymore!”

It was someone on the outside who said something.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Are we lesser or greater Americans based on playing the anthem before a sporting event?

That can go both ways. Are we supporting a righteous cause and somehow are better humans by thumbing our nose at tradition and not playing it?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I'd say this is a bit like the majority of folks that go to Church on Sunday and the other days of the week they have a tendency to be absolute selfish buttholes and spread hate and constantly judge others ... while not living a moment expressing the values their religion allegedly promotes.

I don't know what church you're referring to, but the vast majority of people that go to my church are good people and don't fit that description at all. Of course there are a few that go to church to serve their own purposes, like some local politicians that only seem to show up at all the church gatherings when they're coming due for re-election.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
I think not playing the anthem at the games was a dumb idea to even try to Implement to begin with.

It literally does nothing to further the discussion of what the inequality topics are suppose to be about.

I agree. Dumb and counter productive. But somewhat expected. The cancel culture.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I don't know what church you're referring to, but the vast majority of people that go to my church are good people and don't fit that description at all.

Those people seldom make the news.

As for the topic at hand, playing the national anthem at sporting events goes back a long time and I certainly don't have a problem with it. I also don't think it's completely necessary for me to enjoy the game.

The bigger thing for me would be WHY they stopped playing it rather than IF they stopped playing it..

yebat' Putin
L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m glad I don’t have to listen to the star spangled banner every Sunday when I watch the Browns. No offence, guys.

National anthems before an NHL game bore me, too. I’ve heard them all before, many freaking times. I say we should just drop the puck and get the game Goin’.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I’m glad I don’t have to listen to the star spangled banner every Sunday when I watch the Browns. No offence, guys.

National anthems before an NHL game bore me, too. I’ve heard them all before, many freaking times. I say we should just drop the puck and get the game Goin’.

I do agree the NHL should drop playing both anthems. I don't think the players really care. Heck, half the league is from Finland or some other country.

When in Canada, play "O Canada". When in the states, play the "Star Spangled Banner". I agree, drop the puck already.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
I say reserve the anthem for major games, playoffs/championships.

Like anything else, when you see/hear it too often, it loses meaning, and just becomes part of the process.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Like anything else, when you see/hear it too often, it loses meaning, and just becomes part of the process.

Tell that to the guy who has probably played it more than 300 times...

rolleyes

#soverit

"too many notes, not enough music-"
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

Tell that to the guy who has probably played it more than 300 times...

rolleyes

#soverit

Little different when your part of it, versus just standing in a crowd listening to a rendition over a horrible PA system inside a concrete structure with the reverb acoustics of a bear cave. tongue

P
Legend
Legend
P
You just insulted every bear who has invested in a good sound system.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oh, trust me-it's much worse, up-close and personal:

"Oh say, can you BOOM/CRASH,
By the dawn's early BOOM/CRASH
What so proudly we BOOM/CRASH
At the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright BOOM/CRASH
Through the perilous BOOM/CRASH
O'er the ramparts we BOOM/CRASH
Were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red BOOM/CRASH
The bombs bursting in BOOM/CRASH
Gave proof through the BOOM/CRASH
That our flag was still rrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Oh, CRASHCRASHCRASHCRASHCRASHCRASH
CRASHCRASHCRASHCRASH....
O'er the CRASH, CRASHCRASH....
And the CRASH, CRASH CRAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!! "

rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
F
Legend
Legend
F
I can't even count the number of times I've played Rock-n-Roll All Night, Born To Be Wild, Sweet Home Alabama. I can't listen to them on the radio, but they're still fun to play. smile

P
Legend
Legend
P
If I had a dollar for every time I sang Give Me Three Steps in bands I sang in I could buy a new car with it. That song makes me want to puke!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
The next time somebody complains about the US National anthem,
I'd like to hear of a venue that changes it,

to Bobby McFarin, "don't worry be happy", Now, first thought,

funny, free spirited, laughing, Then!

realize it's 4 minutes and 54 seconds, a little long, so making everyone stand a full minute longer than normal as a little bit of punishment,

then, just to get the point across, repeat a couple verses in the middle, stretch it out to almost a full 7 minutes,

7 full minutes of Don't worry be happy will have you so cringing, you'll be begging for a return to the normal Anthem within 1 week!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
They go to play the National Anthem, and the Theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" plays and for 2 minutes and 50 seconds everyone wonders what happened.
But at least there are no words, to the song. (talk about a song that can be stretched to 7 minutes.)

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Mavericks and The Anthem

Link Copied to Clipboard