Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Bro that post was uglier than a 100 mph 3 yard pass by Derick Anderson.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Bro that post was uglier than a 100 mph 3 yard pass (that one-hopped to the receiver) by Derick Anderson.

sorry.
just couldn't help piling on.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
O
Legend
Legend
O
Kinda along the same lines, aside from Tavierre Thomas and Sendejo, who was the third DB that was regularly getting roasted in coverage? I'm getting my depth DBs mixed up. Was it KJ that was getting picked on regularly?

I know the DB situation was messed up from the get-go with Greedy being out, but if we've essentially swapped KJ for Hill... an upgrade is an upgrade.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Was it Robert Jackson?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Was it Robert Jackson?
Thank you. I definitely was getting my depth DBs mixed up.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Was it Robert Jackson?

Hope he can replace T. Thomas on special teams since we resigned Jackson and didnt resign Thomas. Not a complaint. Just saying Thomas was valuable on ST and his contribution on those units has to be made up for by somebody.

Legend
Legend
That's what UDFA's are for.

Some kid in camp who recognizes that his best way of making the roster is Special Teams will step up and take that role.

As for the secondary, just the fact that we won't be putting a 3rd stringer out there just to be able to go Nickle is a massive upgrade. We have starter-quality across the board for the three CB spots... and for the three Safeties, too.

Now, we just need to groom/elevate our backups a little so in the event of injury the drop-off isn't so huge.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's what I think people sometimes miss in FA signings. Not all of them are signed as an upgrade to the starting roster. Some are simply signed to upgrade your depth chart. If after your third CB or S you fall off a cliff, upgrading that fourth guy at S and CB are critical to success as well. Injuries will happen. At that point the quality of your depth means everything.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
That's what UDFA's are for.

Some kid in camp who recognizes that his best way of making the roster is Special Teams will step up and take that role.

As for the secondary, just the fact that we won't be putting a 3rd stringer out there just to be able to go Nickle is a massive upgrade. We have starter-quality across the board for the three CB spots... and for the three Safeties, too.

Now, we just need to groom/elevate our backups a little so in the event of injury the drop-off isn't so huge.

Ok, since UDFA's are for special teams can you explain what Jackson's role is likely to be? It sure isn't pass coverage if his production last season is any indication.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

When Freddie was hired all was unknown.

My comment isn't about Freddie's tenure itself, but Freddie was (what looks to be) the end of a long line of huge gambles the Browns have FO's have made over the years. We've gambled on coaches, we've gambled on over priced players past their prime, we've gambled on drafted players with incomplete profiles...

To be fair, hiring Stefanski was a gamble, but that gamble to me felt a little more calculated and trying to play the lotto.

I think bone is right in that we can get excited for next season. And for those not quite there yet, they too are right because no one disagrees that consistency is the next step for this team.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Malik?
Man, I hope his role isn't in coverage!

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

We are for real.

I know what it has taken to get here. Lots of pain.

We are no longer the team we have been.

The Bucs went from 7 wins to winning the Super Bowl.

We have a lot of good things going on.

Buckle up.

We are where we have wanted to be since the return. We have our coach. We have our qb. We were talented beyond a one and done playoff team before this offseason, and we have plugged the last of our gaping holes BEFORE the draft. We are still better off financially than most other teams in the league. We have a GM that has yet to make a move that leaves me scratching my head. This team is now ready to compete at the highest level for the foreseeable future. I seriously doubted whether we'd ever get to this place.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

A recommendation from Money Mitch...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Great story.

T
Legend
Legend
T
In General a team needs something reliable in the Db's or it gets very ugly when they get torched.
(I'm remembering a game against Indianapolis around 2017 where Indy put up 21 points in the 2nd quarter on about 3-5 passing plays, and quickly had 35 on their side of the score board.)

(Flashback! That was one of the times a Backup or 2nd string quarterback beat the Browns under Coach Hue.,
First: The fact the Browns faced about 7+ backup Qb's in a year or two is unbelieveable in it's own right,
Second: The abysmisal record of going almost winless against all of them is almost at unbelieveable.
third: This supersedes Hue Jackson as even before and after he was coach the Browns still have an abysmal record against backup quarterbacks.
If you'd take the last 16 times the Browns faced a backup quarterback, I wonder if they have won 3 of them.
May hold true if you counted from prior to the 2020 year, because in 2020 they beat the Redskins and 2nd steelers game against backups.
End of flashback.)

The Browns, I think got a LOT of Overachieved Success from their secondary last year, that goes unheralded and refusal to see from this message boards posters, and there is a propensity to mock the former Browns players.

But the bottom line, in my opinion and view of observation, is the reliable members of the Browns secondary from last year,
while not statistically super heros, were able to play as a group that understands what to do.

So Now! The Browns have largely jettisoned the entire group, and brought in a new set of individuals,

It could get Very Ugla, <-- I did miss spell that but it looks like a Cajun word. You know, Ugly and Ugla, it's even worse wink
It could be an improvement, we've seen both occur in years past.

It is a total rebuild.

I'm really going to miss Terrance Mitchell. I don't know how this team wins a game without Terrance Mitchell on the field.
He was a Trunk of a plant or tree.
Every other DB was a branch, that exceled in its role apart from that trunk,
Now, there are a bunch of branches floating in the wind, Who will become the new trunk?

I really think it's going to be a down year for the Browns secondary,
"They could have kept the team together",

But they can't ever seem to,

In January, when your asking why did the Browns regress so far from 2020-2021, it's because they couldn't keep the team together,

Or maybe not, Maybe taking what works and rebuilding what isn't broken,
12 wins

and choosing a full on rebuild, is going to result in "even better"

There is a first time for everything.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I'm hoping Hill in the slot , not the #2 outside guy ..

Either way he is a dynamic CB, and if Greedy returns healthy wow just wow ...

By this point, I'm starting to think they took Greedy to Wright Patterson Air Force Base.

Get on the field.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He's such a smart signing. The Browns desperately needed a factor at the nickel position and he can be that. When you consider the rotating issues which occurred last season with Tav Thomas, Kevin Johnson and M.J Stewart, adding a guy who fill that position was a must. I could point out a vast array of failures at that position - most notably the final first down of the season which sealed the loss against KC.

Troy Hill thrives in that role, but he's also someone who is excited to be a Cleveland Brown and is throwing his heart and soul in to the job. That never goes wrong.

The DB list is starting to become quite intimidating:

Denzel Ward
Greedy Williams
Troy Hill
Ronnie Harrison
John Johnson
Grant Delpit

That's a fearsome secondary. That's loaded with size, talent and production while also being boosted by a fantastic defensive front.

Legend
Legend
well, it is a defensive front with a ton of potential.... it still needs some help because, as-is, it won't hold up and get pressure all year. We just aren't deep enough. Our talent on the DLine is very superficial and as soon as we start rotating or get hit by the injury bug, our entire D's effectiveness will drop off a cliff.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Best sideline secondary in the NFL. I respect the injuries, but some of these folks need to be on the field or make way on our roster. And I DO love what we have, every one of them. But it is time to play this year. fingerscrossed

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BDU

Denzel Ward
Greedy Williams
Troy Hill
Ronnie Harrison
John Johnson
Grant Delpit

That's a fearsome secondary. That's loaded with size, talent and production while also being boosted by a fantastic defensive front.

We know about 4 of them. Delpit has yet to take an NFL snap. Granny hasn't played in close to half of possible games and what little he showed was meh.

I am not writing either of them off yet, but we can't write them on yet, either. Both drafted high (and not considered reaches) so the potential is there. But they need to perform on the field before they can be seen as fearsome or intimidating.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. We can't be 100% sure about our secondary yet. That's why getting another pass rusher opposite Myles is imperative.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I feel you, but that's why I'm so excited. That's also what she said.

Imagine talent like Grant Delpit and Greedy Williams being the guys we're unsure about. Like, damn. That's wild. We're a long way from hoping Leon McFadden does anything or wondering why Tramon Williams is still suiting up.

Delpit is less of a concern because JJ3 and Ronnie Harrison are, at worst, an exciting duo at safety. Delpit just needs to be a guy in that mix who can shake things up, but there is no pressure on him to carry too much of a load. We'll be able to find a role for him at worst.

Personally, I love Greedy. Dude was phenomenal in his first two games, then suffered a niggling hamstring injury, then returned when Chad Thomas and Porter Gustin were our pass rushers. Let's point out EVERYONE in the secondary sucked that year, even Denzel Ward. We were a mess. And Greedy was dealing with that as a rookie - corners don't exactly tend to set the league on fire in year one as it is.

Then coming in to year two, he was said to be looking good before the injury. I think the guy has just had rotten luck far more than being justifiably meh.

Again, I'll take those two as a weakest link. They'd both probably be the strongest link for more than a few teams around the league.

Write them on. Just based on the talent and the four we know we've got, it's hard to imagine this secondary not being a big improvement over any we've had in a while.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Hill is better than Greedy. I wouldn't mind seeing Hill out there with Ward.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I also wouldn't mind seeing Hill in the slot with Greedy on the outside for obvious passing downs.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
At this point, I think proof of life (on the field) from Greedy would light up the Browns fandom.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, I think that goes without saying.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Greedy was not drafted by the current regime. Also, he has not played defense for Joe Woods.

First he needs to get on the field.

Last season the defense was not addressed because the offense needed help. This year the defense has been addressed in free agency and will be emphasized in the draft.

So, with the additions of JJ3, and Hill along with the return of Greedy and Delpit.

Roles will be better defined. Greedy will more than likely will be used differently than before.

Training camp will clarify things.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm lazy, but I thought one of the reports on Greedy when he was drafted was that he was strictly an outside corner type.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

In college he was used mostly a press man corner. When he did play under Freddie and staff they played a lot of zone.

He has very good coverage skills. Excellent in man.

Last year under Woods the team was forced because of lack of personnel to play mostly zone.

That could change. Because of the upgrades. We now have legit safety's. I expect us to add a corner in the draft maybe in the first round. Ward is excellent in both press, and off man, as well as zone.

Woods will be able to do way more in confusing quarterbacks by mixing coverages.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I'm lazy, but I thought one of the reports on Greedy when he was drafted was that he was strictly an outside corner type.

I remember a few years ago when Bengal Fan, was talking trash to me that Adam Jones was going to return from an injury.

In my mind I was like, "I hope he comes back, we've been torching him for 6 years."

If Ahem' is that good, maybe the Browns can trade him to Cincinnati, and hope plays a long time.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I also wouldn't mind seeing Hill in the slot with Greedy on the outside for obvious passing downs.

When we see 3 WRs that is exactly what we would do...bring Hill to cover the slot and have Ward and Greedy on the outside.

But my point was to say with just basic 2 WR Defense to have Hill in the game on the outside not sit him.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign corner Troy Hill

Link Copied to Clipboard