Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1861061 04/30/21 11:56 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

The Browns pick of Newsome was predictable.

They addressed a need and it came at a value.

The Ravens will be our main problem. They made a trade of Orlando Brown to get an additional first rounder at pick 31. They filled a need at receiver. And then added major speed on the outside that fits their scheme.

There was no mystery that the Steeler's would pick a running back. It's the Steeler's they have to be able to run the ball. It is part of who they are.

The Bengals? Look Chase maybe a great receiver. However, their quarterback is Burrow. He is coming off an injury. He is not the most mobile guy. This draft is deep in receivers. Sewell was right there. A top notch LT prospect who went 7th and Slater who went 13th. Two highly rated OL and they take a receiver??

I don't understand that pick.

The Ravens are the team we have to learn how to beat. They are well coached and well organized. Ozzie left the template on how to draft. The Ravens draft well and they will be tough to beat.

The Steelers will not be a cake walk but they are in decline.

The Bengals?? I like Burrow. He is damn good. They have some talent. But they are not a team I worry about.
====================================================

Andrew Berry will not make moves that are illogical. I am not worried that some bonehead move will happen.

He will do what he has done. Make strategic decisions.

bonefish #1861063 04/30/21 11:59 AM
Legend
Legend
If Cincy can get an OL they’ll make our division scary good.

They will most likely target interior OL in 2 of their next 3 picks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #1861067 04/30/21 12:01 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don’t mind any of the moves the teams in our division made. The Steelers taking a running back in the first round when they can’t run block is perfect.

bonefish #1861069 04/30/21 12:04 PM
Legend
Legend
The Bengals are the Bengals. They took precisely the right player to get their QB killed, again.

The Ravens got a talented WR and an Edge guy, but I think we counter both of those rather well. In fact, I view it as them trying to counter what we have because without them getting better at those positions, they'll go nowhere. Their defense lost a lot of DLine talent, and we have enough secondary to cover half their roster at once, and we added a CB right before they went WR. They're trying to Keep Up with the Jones'.

The Steelers HAD to go RB because they cannot replace Ben where they were picking, and Ben can't throw. Their only hope & strategy is ball control running offense with minimal throwing by Ben and a healthy defense. Their D will still be pretty good once they get guys back, but a quality RB was their only hope for any sort of offense.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Chase is a special WR - and clearly Bengals (and my Bengals Fan friends) believe

Chase & A.N.Other 2nd Round OL help > Sewell & A.N. Other 2nd Round WR.

I tend to agree. Especially if they use 2 out of the next 3 picks for OL.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1861076 04/30/21 12:19 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Chase is a special WR - and clearly Bengals (and my Bengals Fan friends) believe

Chase & A.N.Other 2nd Round OL help > Sewell & A.N. Other 2nd Round WR.

I tend to agree. Especially if they use 2 out of the next 3 picks for OL.

I agree with that take. That would make for a very scary offense. But, their defense is bad. Real Bad.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

I agree with that take. That would make for a very scary offense. But, their defense is bad. Real Bad.

Yep... their D is going to be bad again, if they are smart they will only try to fix the O this season. Their LB situation is / was as bad our worse than ours. They have lost key personnel on the DL. It might be ugly.

But they have a great WR core now. They have a good RB. They have a "franchise QB" ... they need to add to the OL and add OL depth for when they get injuries! . . . Next year will be the time to fix the D if they are smart.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1861082 04/30/21 12:30 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Maybe I am all wrong.

But the way I see it is this. Players like Sewell are hard to find. Once the first round is over the good tackles are gone. The decline is fast.

Receivers? There are just way more receivers with talent. Maybe not as good as Chase but the drop off is not as steep.

We got DPJ in the 7th. He had a good year for a rookie 7th rounder.

A young quarterback needs protection. What did Berry do for Baker?

In free agency he went and got the best RT out there. A former 1st rounder who was a pro-bowler. Then took Wills at the top of the first round.

It just seems the priority was wrong.

mgh888 #1861083 04/30/21 12:30 PM
Legend
Legend
It's a gamble, and it's definitely way too early to totally poo-poo them, for sure, but Reiff is old and on his last legs, and Williams has only played 10 games in two seasons (labrum and then knee). They have a Guard playing at Center and then question marks.... and no depth. Our DLine is going to feast on them.

It can definitely work for them, eventually, but I think I'd have invested more in the OLine if I were them. Quality, young OLine - especially at the tackle positions - are harder to come across than capable WR's.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
It's a gamble, and it's definitely way too early to totally poo-poo them, for sure, but Reiff is old and on his last legs, and Williams has only played 10 games in two seasons (labrum and then knee). They have a Guard playing at Center and then question marks.... and no depth. Our DLine is going to feast on them.

It can definitely work for them, eventually, but I think I'd have invested more in the OLine if I were them. Quality, young OLine - especially at the tackle positions - are harder to come across than capable WR's.

And they already had a pretty good receiver group. They were always going to be able to score points. Now they will be able to score points and test Burrow's durability again.

bonefish #1861094 04/30/21 01:14 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Before his injury I thought Borrow was pretty mobile but in my opinion he needs to lose the attitude that he can shake tacklers like he did at LSU.

I remember one of our games last year, either Richardson or Clayborn had a clear shot at him, I think our guy was unblocked on a naked rollout and instead of throwing it away or just hitting the turf he tried to spin out of a the tackle and he was thrown down like a rag doll. He is big and strong for a QB but he shouldn't try to take on DL.

My hope is his inconsistency in hitting open deep receivers stays. That is a huge weakness if not corrected. Time will tell.

bonefish #1861096 04/30/21 01:20 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If Burrow Goes down again we can revisit that #6 pick ...

If Rothlesburger gets beat up week after week we can revisit that #24 Pick ...

If Oweh shows he can sack a QB and if any WR can shine in baltimore?

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Richardson. I remember that play.

I also remember Garrett stripping the ball out while Gustin absolutely demolished him.

They need two interior OL in the next 3 round IMO, or they are going to risk turning him into Luck 2.0.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
bonefish #1861171 04/30/21 04:30 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Man, I hope they don't take Landon Dickerson. Billy Price at center always makes me smile.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
bonefish #1861185 04/30/21 05:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I liked the Bengals pick. In Chase I see a guy who can be one of the best WRs to play the game, with Sewell I see a guy who can be pretty good but nothing more. I thought Slater was the better OT prospect.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #1861197 04/30/21 05:28 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

You may be right. We all have an opinion.

PastorMarc #1861214 04/30/21 06:41 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
If Burrow Goes down again we can revisit that #6 pick ...

If Rothlesburger gets beat up week after week we can revisit that #24 Pick ...

If Oweh shows he can sack a QB and if any WR can shine in baltimore?

Cincy has starting OT (imho), they lack IOL more than anything - and depth at tackle. I fully expect them to draft Dickerson (or other G/C) the 2nd. I can see Jalen Mayfield in the 3rd (or other backup RT).

Regarding Pittsburgh, I don't want them to take OT smile Nothing but punters and kickers and long snappers. For the record, I think Harris was a great pick and I hate it.

Regarding Baltimore, I think they should draft (stop me if you heard this before) punters and kickers and long snappers. I'm not sure how I think about their draft. I hope Oweh is a bust in Baltimore, then shines in the NFC after his first contract is up - and hopefully Bateman is negated by Newsome smile

bonefish #1862250 05/02/21 09:54 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I thought the Browns add some spice on offense with Schwartz. Fastest player in draft. But I always have doubts with Auburn WRs.anybody recall Ricardo Louis. ? They just dont produce NFL quality WRs.
JOK might be the steal of the draft.
But we have heard that tagline with at least
1-Browns draft pick since 99
I think Newsome can be Pro Bowl sooner than later. Super smart IQ character

The Steelers draft just looks underwhelming
Najee Harris looks the part. But how many Bama
RBs pan out?
Trent Richardson bust. Mark Ingram, he was ok
The Cowboys drafted a RB 3 yrs ago. What has he done?
Friermuth gives Ben a middle of field option
But TEs take awhile to come into.form.
I just dont see any potential game changers
In.their draft.

The Ravens added some length and depth at WR
I think.Bateman will be really good or bad.
No middle ground.
Onawah just reminds me of Barkevious Mingo
Looks the part but is lacks that desire to take
A game over.

The Bengals draft is the most debateable
Everyone acts like Sewell was the only OT
In the draft capable of coming in and starting
The fact of the matter is the OT/OG positions
Were deep in the draft
But JaMarr Chase was clearly the best WR
In the draft and the talent dropoff was greater
At WR. The Bengals needed a playmaker that
Could open up.The deep.game.Burrow struggled with his deep.game last year.
CHASE WAS ONLY 19 years old and put up
20 TDs.
The Bengals oline issues was a combination
Of Burrows style of play,injuries and looks like
Bad position coach and Burrow just being a rookie.
The Bengals added what, 3 lineman in the
The draft.....Jackson Carmen aint no joke

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Schwartz has the tools. It doesn't matter that he went to Auburn. We have OBJ and Jarvis to help him and it sounds like he is willing to work to be good. He can be used in many different ways because of his speed/ He can take a 5 yard slant and run 80 yards with it. He'll be quite a weapon when he learns the O.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstipper
The cowboys drafted a RB 3 years ago what has he done?

Played better behind C Travis Frederick, for 1 year, more than any other time.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawgs4Life #1864473 05/16/21 09:11 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
If Cincy can get an OL they’ll make our division scary good.

They will most likely target interior OL in 2 of their next 3 picks

The Bengals did take 3 total OL in the draft, A tackle in the 3rd, center late.

Being ignorant I did some reading, one article said they had 4+ dudes fail at RG for them last year.
And they are satisfied with their OT starters, 2, with really no depth.
Have gone back to a previous OL coach.

Good news, The Bengals, in typical Bungle fashion, IMO, used 3 OL picks and didn't fix their OL,

A real fix would have netted them at least 1 legit off the bench OT even by keeping a previous starter.

They will be hopelessly outmatched against any kind of real Pass Rush the Browns would put on them as their OT's consisting entirely of 2 50% avg. starters, and swinging doors as backups, they'll have little options to reinforce anything.

(I couldn't believe it myself, after the fix, I think, 2003 Browns OL, at worst, nothing to be scared of.) (young also)

Now, Facing the Browns, the Bengals, and any team facing the Browns front 7 should realistically think there will be times to go 6 man line, and keep 2 TE's in on protection, Max protect, just to keep the QB upright.
They appear to be unable to.

Their strongest vet OL appears to be the RT, (of course, why would they put him on the left, it's Cincy) (Maybe Burros' a lefty, I didn't look.)
Their 2nd is probably going to be the rookie at RG.
Followed by the Center coming back from a knee himself.

They present more of an obstacle with their upgrades at #2 #3, and #4 CB. and their new Safety. As they really didn't have a strong secondary last year.

Would you want to face the Browns front 7 with (1) option at each OT spot? Browns should feast on this group like it's feline thanksgiving.

Hope they don't get forced into a must pass situation.

No team started more combinatons of the front 5, 14, in 2020, < a memory from one article.
To that I say, Long Keep Zac Jackson.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #1864497 05/17/21 06:22 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Good post TL.

THROW LONG #1864564 05/17/21 03:27 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The AFC North is the strongest divison
Each team has proven arms at QB.
Its very easy to say the Bengals will be the
4th place team.
Burrow got hit alot and eventually missed games
But someone pointed out they did draft 3 olineman
And changed coaches......
Didnt the Browns do that last year with Callahan?
So whos to.say that cant work in Cincinnati?
The Browns bar none are the best team in the
North. Most complete.
But I.dont think they are that good where they can just past teams.
Look even Cincy gave the Browns all they wanted
Last year garbage oline and all.

I think.Pittsburgh is the team on the decline.
Now thats a that didnt address their oline.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Proven arms? I dunno about that.

Ben's once-proven arm looked shot last year...maybe another year past surgery and he will get somewhat back to form. He's old....they have no one in the wings.

LJ has proven that his arm isn't sufficient when he must play NFL-QB. When the best way to beat a QB is to keep him in the pocket and make him throw the ball...well...you know. Their most-proven "arm(s)" is their defense.

I do not get the Burrow infatuation...he hasn't proven a thing in the NFL outside of the physical measurables. His arm talent is not in Baker's orbit. Lofting a ball 40 yards downfield to the fastest guy in the stadium does not = arm talent (ie most every throwing highlight of Justin Fields). Accurate? I think I've seen that. Arm talent? No...not like our guy. He has been given the benefit of the doubt right out of the bucket. Odd to me.

Baker? I easily put him in the top 10...his only weakness is that he's 2" too short. If he's comfortable in the offense and his coaching...the sky is the limit.

Ben isn't getting any younger...LJ isn't going to "find" accuracy or arm talent...Burrow still has a lot to prove and is coming off a serious injury. None of those teams have a backup QB who could be counted on for a stretch of games.

If Ben gets back some form, LJ is allowed to continue playing college-QB and if Burrow rises to half of his hype...the North will be extremely tough.

WSU Willie #1864626 05/18/21 09:25 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Quarterback is important.

However, the roster contains 53 players. No position is more dependant on others than the quarterback.

In the North I think you have to start on defense. The Steelers and Ravens are both strong defensive teams. The Steelers were ranked 1st in team defense and the Ravens 9th.

IMO you must also factor in the coaching staffs and their organizations. Again the Steelers and Ravens both have great coaching and proven winning organizations.

In the Browns favor is: according to PFF the Browns are the most improved team from this off season. Scoring the highest grades for free agency and the draft.
https://www.nfl.com/videos/pff-top-5-most-improved-teams-of-2021

On paper we have gone from a weakness on defense to a strength.

The Bengals are slowly improving. However, there are doubts creeping in about the their head coach. I like Burrow and believe he will be good, but they have a ways to go.

IMO we have moved ahead of the Steelers for sure.

We still have to prove we can beat the Ravens.

I do believe the changes on the Browns defense will make a big difference in the head to head games with the Ravens

bonefish #1864631 05/18/21 10:08 AM
Legend
Legend
I also think the NFCW is really good too. Wilson, Murray, and Stafford ... and the Lance wild card. Plus all of them have pretty good defenses

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft North Moves

Link Copied to Clipboard