Print Thread
#1871601 07/19/21 08:45 AM
S
Spawn1 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
S
This might seem random, but I have been fly fishing in lakes, ponds and creeks most of my life. But later this summer I'm going to try my hand at saltwater fly fishing on Assateague Island in Virginia. I've never done this before and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Some research I've done says I need a heavier weight rod, I currently have a 6 wt, but these guys were recommending a 9/10 wt.

I go surf fishing up there every year, but this year I thought I would try something new. Any tips would be helpful.

Spawn1 #1871604 07/19/21 08:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Get a guide rent some tackle wink

Joe Thomas #73
Spawn1 #1871608 07/19/21 09:36 AM
Legend
Legend

I did a quick look at Assateague Island.

First understand the species you target. That will tell you what equipment.

Then know the type of water. Surf fishing is way different than fly fishing from a boat targeting shallow reefs for bonefish.

I found this:

"fish toms cove with small shrimp flies for croaker/ sea trout / blues etc. I’m gonna try the surf side this year with some crab flies for some puppy drum. Also you could get some flounder with a clouser minnow. I think most guys would use a sink tip or intermediate for the flounder. I would fish the back side of the drive on beach if I were fly fishing toms cove"

Your 6 wt. will handle this type of fishing.

Salt water fly fishing is an entire world to itself.

Equipment is matched to what you target from 5 wt. to
12 wt. typically. You can wade flats for smaller species.
You can tease sailfish to the boat and flip a fly for a hook up.

Tarpon on a fly rod is a supreme challenge. My son just accomplished that a few months ago.

Unless you know the water most salt water fly fishing is best done with a guide. Their local knowledge is very valuable. Unless you have a lot of time. They are well worth it.

Fresh water river fishing if you are experienced can be figured out. If you are not experienced hire a guide. Unless you just enjoy being there. If your solo goal is catching fish. A guide may be worth it.

A lot depends on your goal and the time you have.

If you are taking a fishing vacation to a place you have never been. And you have very limited time guides are worth the money if your goal is to catch fish.

I have gone many places for a week or more without a guide and done very well. But I have been fishing since I was five.

Salt water I lack experience. There is so much to know depending upon the location that I highly recomend a guide.

But where you are going and the type of fish that are around. Call a local fly fishing store and ask for help.
They will treat you right.

bonefish #1871610 07/19/21 09:51 AM
S
Spawn1 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
S
I go surf fishing there and Va Beach every year. I've been surf fishing since I was a young kid. Mostly you catch croaker, spot and some kingfish, it's my fav kind of fishing. The last 15 years, I go up into the mountains of WV to catch rainbow trout on fly rod. This year, I thought I might mix the fly rod with the surf. I'm not chartering a boat or anything like that. I might go down and find a bait shop and hit up one of those old seadogs in there (buy him a bottle of scotch or something).

Just trying something new this year, I might get a new 9/10 wt rod. Even if I don't have any success, I can still use it to catch strippers on the James River. (Side note, I live in Richmond,VA)

Spawn1 #1871612 07/19/21 10:31 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Did you use dollar bills as bait to catch the strippers? laugh

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Spawn1 #1871616 07/19/21 10:42 AM
S
Spawn1 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
S
Ha, I see what I did there, my bad, you see where my brain is. I guess I meant stripers

Spawn1 #1871629 07/19/21 11:33 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haha, I knew what you meant. I was just having a little fun. I'm curious to see what kind of responses you get. I've only done fly once. I'd like to get back out there and do it again.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Fly Fishing

Link Copied to Clipboard