x

Topic Options
#1883237 - 09/13/21 01:00 PM Ads
DawgMichelle Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: SW Ohio
Any plans to revisit letting us donate to avoid these giant annoying ads? banghead

#1883252 - 09/13/21 01:22 PM Re: Ads [Re: DawgMichelle]
oobernoober Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: Cinci
They definitely just upped the ante again. I'm not saying it's unreadable, but on the phone it was ROUGH yesterday.

-PrplPplEater

#1883274 - 09/13/21 02:33 PM Re: Ads [Re: DawgMichelle]
PrplPplEater Offline

Legend

Loc: River Styx
Yeah, this is something I really need to get back to. Adsense does their own optimizing now, and I got tired of trying to keep up with them, so I just let them handle it, but I think they're getting a little overzealous, now.

It's time I got off my butt and look at the PayPal API again; they've changed/updated it a couple of times since I last worked with it. I think that maybe I need to see if some of these others, like Venmo, have a similar API, to give people some options.

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

#1883277 - 09/13/21 02:46 PM Re: Ads [Re: PrplPplEater]
OldColdDawg Offline

Legend

Loc: Ohio
Purp, maybe consider a patreon.com account. Collect donations and put up a merch shop. Just an idea, but there are enough old timers on here to throw a couple bucks each a month at you that you could cover costs and maybe pocket a little for the future. They can set up a $3 monthly recurring donation and then forget about it. Food for thought I hope.

#gmstrong

#1883943 - 09/15/21 06:30 PM Re: Ads [Re: DawgMichelle]
ChargerDawg Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: Fallbrook, CA
Please, please do so, this is really, really getting irritating.

Now the pop up has to be closed every time you open a page.

#1883983 - 09/15/21 10:10 PM Re: Ads [Re: oobernoober]
jaybird Offline

Legend

Originally Posted By: oobernoober
They definitely just upped the ante again. I'm not saying it's unreadable, but on the phone it was ROUGH yesterday.

I don't even try the site on my phone... too hard to navigate...

#gmstrong

#1883984 - 09/15/21 10:11 PM Re: Ads [Re: jaybird]
jaybird Offline

Legend

with that said... does it help you if we click on the ads?

#gmstrong

#1885706 - 09/20/21 06:51 PM Re: Ads [Re: jaybird]
PrplPplEater Offline

Legend

Loc: River Styx
I believe it does.

I found the setting to disable those full page vignette ads. At the least, those HAD to go because they were trashing the post-jumping feature, and that's not acceptable.

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

#1885715 - 09/20/21 08:07 PM Re: Ads [Re: DawgMichelle]
Squires Offline

Hall of Famer

I'll never understand how companies think annoying people with ads is the best way to go(unless their strategy is hoping people accidently click on them when they try to close the ad).

#1885814 - 09/21/21 11:57 AM Re: Ads [Re: Squires]
dawg66 Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: West Central Ohio
It's the almighty dollar, companies today would rather pizz off hundreds of potential customers just to get that one extra dollar today. There is no such thing as customer service anymore unless it's a mom & pop operation.

Live, Love, Laugh

#1885837 - 09/21/21 02:42 PM Re: Ads [Re: dawg66]
archbolddawg Offline

Legend

Originally Posted By: dawg66
There is no such thing as customer service anymore unless it's a mom & pop operation.

qft. Mom and pop operations are, OFTEN, Godsends, because they actually care. (for the most part)

#1885906 - 09/21/21 08:39 PM Re: Ads [Re: dawg66]
Dave Offline

Legend

Loc: Cleveland
Originally Posted By: dawg66
It's the almighty dollar, companies today would rather pizz off hundreds of potential customers just to get that one extra dollar today. There is no such thing as customer service anymore unless it's a mom & pop operation.

Ever try to call your customer service dept at one one of the utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable TV, etc) or one of your credit cards? They will put you through a gauntlet of prompts, choices, and questions about the reason for your call that would try the patience of Job. If you ever do reach an actual person, it will be an English-language-challenged guy in Indonesia who says "My name is Todd, how may I be of assist to you.". Then, you hang up and everybody is happy, except you.

#1885915 - 09/21/21 09:31 PM Re: Ads [Re: Dave]
archbolddawg Offline

Legend

That is precisely why I do everything I possibly can with small, local businesses. Those people know me, I know them. They care. Same in reverse - they know me.

Banking? "small" local bank with some 33 branches. I can call them and get who/what I need, within a minute or so. Tellers? Yup, they still have them. I have a great relationship with the ones at the branch I use, almost daily. They KNOW me, my business. I know them. At the drive thru, I ring the bell just to ring it. They all know "Arch is here".

Sadly, no one at Dish Network knows me, nor do they care about me. I don't have a choice on an electric supplier. Just pay the bill.

heat, propane? We have propane.......saw our delivery guy today at the store. "Hey, my barn tank is empty. Can you remember to fill it?" yup, no problem, have it done by Friday.

Every one thinks bigger is better. I don't.