Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
anybody else watched the series on Amazon, as well as the Hobbit and LOTR trilogies?

i think its really cool. the movies and show did make me go down the lore rabbit hole, however. I get that this is about the 2nd age, but damn I wish they would've started off with the 1st age. Sauron is one of the best villains in history, and would really like to watch him climb through the ranks under Morgoth. i would also like a better understanding of the 5 wizards and their roles in everything.

gonna watch The Norsemen next, although there so many watered-down Viking movies and series, hard to really grasp which ones are more historical fictions, and which ones are straight up fantasy level sometimes.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i haven't watched any of the new Game of Thrones episodes, so im wondering what yall think about it so far.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The House of Dragons is good. It’s a slower burn story-wise than the original GoT. Very much worth the watch.

Loving the LOTR show too.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We watched the Rings of Power. Both of us enjoyed it, though neither one of us is a lore expert. I kinda guessed who was who last episode before the reveal episode.

Both of us thought The Northman (I am guessing you meant the one with Alexander Skarsgård) was horrible. Please do let us know what you think of it though.

I've enjoyed House of the Dragon. It stands on its own feet well, but does suffer from the comparison to one of the best series ever. I'm very interested in how things are going to progress, though we should understand already the general direction.

Legend
Legend
One of my closest friends younger brother ( I knew him when he was a teen)worked on all of the LOTR.

He moved to New Zealand and lived there the whole time it was filmed.

When I was in college I read the books. I never thought a film could do justice to the books. Wrong.

The movies were killer. I like The Rings of Power. But I am waiting to see if it can match the LOTR.

Legend
Legend
Unfortunately, I have been watching it.

It's like they had the crew that wrote the last episode of of Game of Thrones write this as a Disney-esque Assassin's Creed flick set in the LotR storyline.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Speaking of Disney, Andor has been great.

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
House of Dragon has been very good. I think its going to get stronger now that the time jumps are done.. Matt Smith and Paddy Considine have carried this season.. Paddy especially.. He's been so good. Rings of power has been good but kinda slow for me.. I think the problem is going to be it takes so long and so expensive to make people are going to lose interest. There were talking it could be 2-3 years before season 2.. Thats an infinity in storytelling shows. I guess theres a Jon Snow spinoff coming. That will be interesting as they delve back in to GOT with a member of original cast

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
The House of Dragons is good. It’s a slower burn story-wise than the original GoT. Very much worth the watch.

Loving the LOTR show too.

yea started the series last night. its interesting so far.
Originally Posted by FrankZ
We watched the Rings of Power. Both of us enjoyed it, though neither one of us is a lore expert. I kinda guessed who was who last episode before the reveal episode.

Both of us thought The Northman (I am guessing you meant the one with Alexander Skarsgård) was horrible. Please do let us know what you think of it though.

I've enjoyed House of the Dragon. It stands on its own feet well, but does suffer from the comparison to one of the best series ever. I'm very interested in how things are going to progress, though we should understand already the general direction.

before i watch the movie, what was the issues you had with the Northman?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
One of my closest friends younger brother ( I knew him when he was a teen)worked on all of the LOTR.

He moved to New Zealand and lived there the whole time it was filmed.

When I was in college I read the books. I never thought a film could do justice to the books. Wrong.

The movies were killer. I like The Rings of Power. But I am waiting to see if it can match the LOTR.

dunno if anything can match LOTR from a movie perspective. the problem with prequels is that you already know how everything ends.
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

It's like they had the crew that wrote the last episode of of Game of Thrones write this as a Disney-esque Assassin's Creed flick set in the LotR storyline.

i mean the storyline has always had a disney feel to it from the jump though. neither the books or movies/series ever came close to the dank storyline of GoT.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I love the hobbit and LOTR... I need to restart Rings of Power.. watched the first 2-3 episodes but got distracted... I didn't love them but maybe need to give them another chance

House of Dragons has been fantastic... I've re-watched each episode to at least once to make sure I haven't missed anything... my only compliant is it feels like this season's timeline has been sped up... would have liked more time with Viserys... he's been great. Good character development and some of their casting has been top notch..

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
At first it was a little hoaky. Kinda of overdone.

But it seems to be getting better.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Swish
before i watch the movie, what was the issues you had with the Northman?

To be honest the sets were the best part.. everything else felt like they phoned it in and expected the names of the actors to carry this. It just never worked for us.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I started Rings of Power but it seemed so disjointed, characters with no real description or explanation of who they are. I enjoyed the character Galadriel, but I also find her predictable. I think I made it through 3 or 4 episodes and kind of stopped, I wasn't drawn in to keep watching. I may begin again, just not sure.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Agreed. Outside of the visuals of the show, it has been absolute garbage. Poor acting, episodes that drag on and do nothing. Made up characters for no good reason. Mixing up timelines. Plots that are disjointed or just flat out stop midseason. I could go on. Good thing we wait two years until season 2 and by then they get new showrunners. Amazon wasted sooo much money on this show.

HOTD has been awesome, though. Very well done.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've been watching everything you mentioned. SPOILER ALERTS HERE BY THE WAY.

RoP I felt like got off to a slower start and I was concerned that it was going to bust. Then it really started to pick up. I've been a little confused as to whether it's a direct derivative off of Peter Jackson's interpretation of the universe, because the orcs look different, as do the wargs, but the Balrog looks exactly the same. Dwarves look the same. Everyone also has the same accents (Dwarves = Scottish, Elves = high-born English, Hobbits/Harfoots = Irish). The finale episode had some hella-twists. I did think Halbrand turned heel too quickly, though. That flashback scene did kind of stun me though to remember that he saved Galadriel from drowning. I know the assumption is also that the Stranger is Gandalf, but I'm not 100% convinced of that yet. Still possibility for Saruman or Radagast. I don't even really know about the other two Istars.

HotD I thought got off to an okay start, and then the time jumping and the cast changing really bothered me. Other than that, I think it has been pretty good. Agree with the poster who said Considine and Smith have carried the series. Smith's arguably best sequence was during a shoot when he actually didn't have any lines, but it was still awesome. I also saw an article that came out that said the scene where Viserys lost his crown and Daemon put it back on was actually a flub that they kept in, which I think added to the story. I think now that the season has stabilized in its timeline, it'll heat up pretty good, a la GoT Season 6. My buddy did bring me down to earth a little bit though, because he said "Yeah, but just remember it all ends up with Bran Stark as king" LOL.

The Northman I thought wasn't great. I thought the sequence with Ethan Hawke howling like a wolf was cheesy. There wasn't much character development and I felt like the plot jumped all over the place. It felt disjointed and corny at times. Nicole Kidman's plastic surgery was also on full display, too. Her acting was good, but appearance-wise it just felt weird to look at a Viking queen with botox. Props to Skarsgard, though. To be 46 and look like that ain't easy. The fight scenes were good. Brutal, but good.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Spoilers

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Enjoyed Andor.. good story. Same with RoP.. Can't wait till next HOD.. Rhaenerys is gonna be one pissed off dragonrider

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
I started The Peripheral last weekend, that has been pretty well done so far. Looking forward to dialing up the next episode tonight.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Spoilers

the more i understand the lore, the more i laugh at the beta males making videos like this trashing the series.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
now that im becoming an expert in the lore, the first season of RoP was even more epic than i realized.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:
Spoilers:

[video:youtube]
[[/video]

A great series. Another funny trailer parody.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by SaintDawg
Enjoyed Andor.. good story. Same with RoP.. Can't wait till next HOD.. Rhaenerys is gonna be one pissed off dragonrider

Andor S1 ended today. I thought it was easily the best Star Wars prequel show so far. It was sooooo well done. It started off a bit slow, but really picked up after the first couple of episodes. I recommend it for any Stars Wars' fan.

Tackles are tackles.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The Rings of Power/Other Fantasy Series

Link Copied to Clipboard