Print Thread
#2011177 04/10/23 02:02 PM
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
...THE GOOD...for the first time in a long time we did not fix the Easter meal for the our family because a family member thought it would be nice to invite us to their Easter meal. For the wife and I it seemed like a passing of the torch and we were honored to be invited and we thoroughly enjoyed the meal and fellowship with family and friends.

THE BAD...it was still early enough in the day and the weather outside was simply beautiful so we left a bit early to give others time to do whatever might be on their schedule. As we were getting in the car we could hear kids playing down the street, yelling and carrying on. We back out into the roadway and one of the kids went sprinting by our car going the opposite direction, so I made sure that I went slowly, as the street has cars parked on both sides of the road.

We went approximately 1/2 a block and start around a curve in road and I look to my left and see a man laying on his back on his driveway...the following tells the rest of the story... click the link for pictures.

Man arrested for shooting brother during fight on Easter Sunday, police say

By WTVG Staff
Published: Apr. 9, 2023 at 3:24 PM EDT|Updated: 19 hours ago
link

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - A man is expected to survive his injuries after his brother shot him on Easter Sunday, police said.

The call came in just after 2 p.m. for a person shot on Brook Point Road in Toledo.

The man was shot in his upper body by his brother in front of other family members, investigators said.

The suspected shooter, 27-year-old Jacob Carpenter, ran away from the scene after the shooting, police said in court documents. Officers eventually found him with a gun in his possession, according to detectives. Investigators said the fight was captured on nearby video cameras.

The victim has non life-threatening injuries, according to police.

Carpenter is charged with felonious assault. He’s set to be arraigned Monday morning.

Toledo police said Jacob Carpenter shot his brother during a fight on Easter Sunday, 2023.(WTVG)
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.

Copyright 2023 WTVG. All rights reserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I look to the left and see someone laying on his back on the driveway, with a woman next to him attempting to put a towel on the guys right upper chest area while she is attempting to make a phone call on her cell. My first thought was, what the heck is going on, then the lady lifted up the towel to reposition it and I could see that the blood was streaming out of his shoulder area.

Instantly upon recognizing "blood" I got out of our car and joined the lady who was on the phone to 911 while attempting to put pressure on his shoulder area...I asked the victim what had happened and he respond in a shaky voice that his "little brother" had just shot him and that he took off running, with the gun, toward the area my wife and I had just left from...the location where my wife and I had just enjoyed a beautiful Easter Lunch with our family.

Above I commented that "one of the kids went sprinting by our car going the opposite direction"...after thinking about my comment for a minute, I realize that the kid playing and sprinting by our car was not a kid playing...but he was an armed shooter with a loaded gun, looking for some place to hide or someone else to threaten.

After giving all our towels to those attempting to stop the victims bleeding my wife and I realizing that we needed to contact our relatives up the street, might be in danger if the shooter was still in the area.

We did have some extra towels in the car and I collected them and handed them off to those attempting to stop the man's bleeding.

All of this might have taken 3 minutes or so, but just as we were attempting to move our car away from the area of the street that was directly in front of the location where the wounded victim was located, the "TOLEDO POLICE DEPARTMENT" showed up "IN MASS".

There were TPD everywhere...at intersections as well as patrolling the streets obviously searching for the shooter and there was a fire truck on scene should their services be needed. As we were about to enter I-75, TPD had a Police Cruiser located at that intersection, too.

I'm not sure exactly where the shooter was located but he was arrested and is expected to be arraigned or may have already been arraigned.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
You certainly can't say your Easter Sunday was uneventful. Well you could, but.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Now I'm playing the "WHAT IF" game as I realize I was "that close" to being right in the middle of a "DUMBER THAN HELL GUN SHOOTING SITUATION" that could have taken my life or the lives of family members. Many will claim that I'm being unrealistic to even think that I or one of my family member might become a victim of senseless Gun Violence...

I was "ONE MINUTE AWAY" from being in the middle of a situation that might have taken my life or the lives of one of one of my family members. This is the second time within the last couple of months that I have had a close call.

On Jan 27, 2023 a serious head on auto crash occurred approx 1 minute in front of my wife and I as we were going to dinner that evening. We were the first on the scene heading east. I helped an off duty fireman to extract a young woman, who already had a broken ankle and had limited mobility as she was wearing a boot. Her truck had turned on it's side and had caught on fire. The off-duty fireman and I pulled her out of the truck and attempted to assist her out of the field where her truck came to rest. We could see that she had a boot on one of her legs but we did not realize she also had broken her femur on the other leg and could not help us get her away from the burning truck. The off-duty fireman who was a big guy and about 40 yrs younger than me told me to help her stand and he picked her up carried her to safety.

Here is part of her interesting story, she is a wrestler...link

After helping the young lady I went to other PU truck that was heavily damaged as the two trucks hit head on. The driver was the only person in the other Pick Up truck and he appeared to be in serious condition. He did have his seat belt on and it likely saved him from going through the wind shield. One individual was trying to assist him but this young man (driver #2) who was only semi-conscious and limp..unable hold himself up and was slumping over the steering wheel.

He was literally stuffed under the steering column with his knees wedged in. I manage to break the steering wheel off and twisted it over toward the passenger side, relieving the pressure on his knees. Two young ladies assisted by doing their best to keep him alert and awake. I stayed with driver #2 until EMS arrived and took over. Here is a write up from one of local news papers... link

I do wonder if it's best for me to be a little late for any event in the future...one minute either way can make a difference.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You're a superhero!

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
Sounds like you had a more eventful Easter than I did.

Glad the guy should be okay.

I have some experiences close to this, but not gun shots. I don't want to detract from your post, so I won't mention them. At this time.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by EveDawg
You're a superhero!

Thanks for your comment but I'm not a superhero.

I'm just a guy who seems to show up a little too late to be involved in the actual event...but I am someone who willing to jump in and help others who might need some help.

I've read that bad things happen in a group of "3"...My wife and I are up to "2" serious events for 2023..I think we will try to stop at 2...

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Sounds like you had a more eventful Easter than I did.

Glad the guy should be okay.

I have some experiences close to this, but not gun shots. I don't want to detract from your post, so I won't mention them. At this time.

arch...thanks for the consideration but feel free to comment on your own experiences in this thread.

The bottom line...none of us know how much "1 minute + or - " might have affected our lives.

One minute sooner and my wife and I might have been facing a situation where a brother with a gun, might have been threatening to shoot a member of his family or anyone attempting to help, including me or my wife.

Not knowing the complete story, we stopped and offered to help.

One minute, + or - , can make a difference in our lives.

Legend
Legend
Wow. 2 emergent incidents like that where you were able to help people in dire need. Don't second guess, you did what your instincts as a compassionate person told you to do, and people are better off for it. Good job!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Gland you and yours are all good.

Funny how life is like that. A minute here or there, or few feet here or there can change everything. It does make you think, but there isn't much you can do about it. Sometimes fate works in your favor, sometimes not.

I just thank God every night for the safe days passage.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Gland you and yours are all good.

We are "all good"...and I want to thank everyone for their concern, thoughts and prayers.

Legend
Legend
One helluva story, mac.

I'm glad that You and Yours are OK. And yes- the element of chance impacts/influences our lives in ways we simply can't prepare for.
An inch, here or there. A minute earlier or later. Take a different route to work. Choose a different seat at the World Series when the game-winning walk-off home run ball lands in your section.
The randomness of Life. Chance. "Fate" (I'm still ambivalent about about its validity, but it deserves to be included in this list).

Occasionally I think about these things- and your post is a reminder for all of us that we only have so much control over the flow/events of our lives. Thank you for posting your account of this event, and the thoughts that they inspired in you. I'm sure we can all gain something from reading your thread.

Also- let me say this: You posted about a dramatic event and how it effected everyone, but my main takeaway from the story was more about you. Your first instinct was to assume the role of The Good Samaritan. The next step You+Wife took was to protect your family. I think it was Eve who called you a 'Superhero.' I don't disagree with her at all. Every action you took that day was a testimony to your basic character. We Dawgs should be proud that you're in our kennel.

Also, I agree with you on this: it would benefit the board if arch would share his experiences, as well. In a world where our daily news feed is so awful, it's important to get stories that give us some balance.

This thread is a good thing.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
An inch, here or there. A minute earlier or later.

That's what she said.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

That's what she said.

"He's here all weeks, folks. Don't forget to tip your wait staff."

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

That's what she said.

"He's here all weeks, folks. Don't forget to tip your wait staff."

Just the tip though.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
rofl

A
Legend
Legend
A
24 or so years ago. On what should have been a great day - my first as the dealer principal at a GM dealership. I was on my way to work. No traffic ahead of me for 300-400 yards. (small town, 35 mph limit there). I did not see it happen. But, the car in front of me went left of center and smashed a straight truck. By the time I stopped and got out of my car to check on the driver (and while this was happening I saw the driver of the truck on the phone. He couldn't get out of his truck, but obviously he was on the phone with 911.)

Well, the girl (found out later she was 16) had her window down. As I got to the window to ask if she was alright, I saw the engine compartment had smashed her legs, pretty much under the drivers seat. Gruesome. "Hey, are you okay?" She looked at me. I tried opening the drivers door. It was jammed shut - I couldn't open it.

As she was looking at me, she went limp, and her eyes closed. I could hear the breath go out of her. A cop showed up soon, and the rescue squad was on its way.

She died in front of me. I was the last person she ever saw.

Another time, father in law had a towing business. Got a call for a 2 vehicle accident. As we pulled up, the highway patrol told us "Just be aware, the guys head got split open. There's brain matter all over." Hooked it up, towed it to the shop. I couldn't help myself so I checked out the car. Somehow, I got brain on my hand and didn't realize it.

So, Mac, at least your record for survivors is better than mine. I still think about that 16 year old girl that died, looking at me, and I couldn't do anything to help her.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
arch...knowing that you were the last person she saw as she took her last breath...obviously it's something that stays with you.

I've always tried to find some good out of every experience that I've gone through during my lifetime. It might be nothing more than heart felt advice while teaching a loved one how to drive.

Some situations are so difficult that it is hard to find any good coming from someone else's life altering experience.

Thanks for sharing...

A
Legend
Legend
A
Thanks mac. I think about her often. But I will be sure to not divulge personal information in the future.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... My Easter Sunday...

Link Copied to Clipboard