Legend
M
Russia Says U.S. Was Behind Kremlin Drone Attack, Drawing Quick Denial

link

By Reuters
|
May 4, 2023, at 5:40 a.m.

By Mark Trevelyan

(Reuters) -Russia accused the United States on Thursday of being behind what it says was a drone attack on Moscow's Kremlin citadel intended to kill President Vladimir Putin.
A day after blaming Ukraine for what it called a terrorist attack, the Kremlin administration shifted the focus onto the United States, but without providing evidence. The White House was quick to reject the charge.

Ukraine has also denied involvement in the incident in the early hours of Wednesday, when video footage showed two flying objects approaching the Senate Palace inside the Kremlin walls and one exploding with a bright flash.

"Attempts to disown this, both in Kyiv and in Washington, are, of course, absolutely ridiculous. We know very well that decisions about such actions, about such terrorist attacks, are made not in Kyiv but in Washington," said Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov.

He said the United States was "undoubtedly" behind the incident and added - again without stating evidence - that Washington often selected both the targets for Ukraine to attack, and the means to attack them.

"This is also often dictated from across the ocean ... In Washington they must clearly understand that we know this," Peskov said.

White House national security spokesman John Kirby told MSNBC television the Russian claims were false, and that Washington does not encourage or enable Ukraine to strike outside its borders.

Russia has said with increasing frequency that it sees the United States as a direct participant in the war, intent on inflicting a "strategic defeat" on Moscow. The United States denies that, saying it is arming Ukraine to defend itself and retake territory that Moscow has seized illegally in more than 14 months of war.

CALLS TO KILL ZELENSKIY
However, Peskov's allegation went further than previous Kremlin accusations against Washington.

Putin was not in the Kremlin at the time, and security analysts have poured scorn on the idea that the incident was a serious assassination attempt.

But Russia has said it reserves the right to retaliate, and hardliners including former president Dmitry Medvedev have said it should now "physically eliminate" Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

Peskov declined to say whether Moscow saw Zelenskiy as a legitimate target.

He said Russia had an array of options and the response would be carefully considered and balanced. He said an urgent investigation was under way.

Putin was in the Kremlin on Thursday and staff were working normally, he said.

The incident took place less than a week before Russia's May 9 Victory Day celebrations marking the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War Two - an important public holiday and an opportunity for Putin to rally Russians behind what he calls Russia's "special military operation" in Ukraine.

Peskov said air defences would be tightened, and this was happening anyway for the military parade on Red Square, the centrepiece of the holiday, just over the Kremlin wall from the site of the alleged attack.

He said the parade would go ahead as normal, and include a speech from Putin.

(Reporting by Reuters; writing by Mark Trevelyan; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
We probably did have a hand in it.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
This claim by Putin that the U.S. is behind the amateur hour fake attack on the Kremlin is so unbelievable.

If the U.S. was about to attack the Kremlin, I can't begin to imagine that our military would choose a "slower than hell drone" powered by Radio Shack technology to accomplish the mission.

Looks to me like Putin is attempting to play the role of "the victim" in their war with the Ukraine.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
This claim by Putin that the U.S. is behind the amateur hour fake attack on the Kremlin is so unbelievable.

If the U.S. was about to attack the Kremlin, I can't begin to imagine that our military would choose a "slower than hell drone" powered by Radio Shack technology to accomplish the mission.

Looks to me like Putin is attempting to play the role of "the victim" in their war with the Ukraine.

The US can be behind something (real or fake, well executed or poorly executed) without directly needing to attack a country. I don't ever rule out our country being involved in something.....certainly not this conflict.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Really?... You believe our military, with all our technology, would resort to a drone to accomplish the mission of attacking the Kremlin..?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Really?... You believe our military, with all our technology, would resort to a drone to accomplish the mission of attacking the Kremlin..?

See above comment. And look back to all the funding provided to Ukraine for equipping them to retaliate and defend. To equate your position based on the US not directly attacking Russia is naive. There are countless ways to be involved and not being the country to push the button.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Putin trying to drag us in to war.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Putin trying to drag us in to war.

Too late.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

The big white balloon was already taken.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
Russia trying to drum up support by playing victim. Question is, how many see through the charade?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Have same thoughts... if we actually wanted to attempt to kill Putin we would have killed Putin.... that attack was pathetic...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Russia trying to drum up support by playing victim. Question is, how many see through the charade?

Everyone here on this side of the pond. The big question is: can Putin sell it to his own people?
In a dictatorship, The Big Boss has only one thing to worry about- losing his subjects. Boss' hedge against losing his people is to control the information they get... and Putin's had the media on lock for decades. This kind of stunt is nothing new. When he first came into power, he manufactured a horrific public event, aimed the blame at his chosen enemy, and made out like a bandit. 1999 Russian apartment bombings

He did it again as set-up to the Russian invasion of the Crimean peninsula. Fed his people a line of BS to justify what he'd been planning all along. Again, public support was still through the roof in 2014.

Things are changing. Citizens are sick of their lousy standard of living, the long lines and the absence of McD's and Starbucks wink Their young men are being sent to a battle front that shouldn't even exist, to be used as cannon fodder in a senseless war that benefits them not at all. News from outside is getting in. People are starting to gather in the streets. To be honest, it looks like they could be approaching a tipping point. We'll just have to see if enough Russian people have been deprogrammed since 2014.

To add to Putin's woes, he must also consider the very real possibility of being taken out by those just beneath him on the power structure. Many of them are extremely unhappy with this botched power move, and wish to have something worth salvaging after the fighting stops. Added to their incentive is the need to keep public animus from boiling over. Russian mothers are not happy sending their sons into a meat grinder.

I have been saying this for a good while now: there is only one nation/power that can actually take Putin out: Russia herself.
I believe that his days are numbered. And I'm not sure I'd give him triple digits.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by mac

Have same thoughts... if we actually wanted to attempt to kill Putin we would have killed Putin.... that attack was pathetic...

BINGO...

Legend
Legend
Wasn't it just a few days ago that Russia blamed Ukraine for this attack?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Putin is in the end stages of something just like our President. I only hope neither of the old geezers don't do something stupid and wreck the world.

Think about how fragile our society really is....it wouldn't take all that much to kick us back to the 1300's.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FloridaFan

Obviously not some of the people who post on this board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Scarily, Biden keeps calling Putin’s bluff. I just hope he doesn’t lose it and launch a nuke strike on Ukraine.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/06/23 12:19 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Russia blames US for drone attack on Kremlin

Link Copied to Clipboard