Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
N
This one is already hitting in Florida and it isn't supposed to take affect until July 1. Workers are leaving en' mass. They are not in the strawberry fields-they are not on construction sites-they are leaving resorts.

a large percentage of the work in the hospitality, agriculture, construction industry is done by undocumented workers.
Now, we are finally going to see if Americans can or want to do the work that these people do. I saw one one employment placement in Polk County needed like 7,000 workers and most of the jobs were filled by people with work visa's or undocumented workers. They said that they hired about 300 "white" people and about 15 or 16 of them lasted longer than a couple months. Nothing like lugging a 80 pound sack of oranges up and down a ladder 18-20 feet in the air for 8+ hours a day.

I saw another interview of a smaller statue woman that was probably in her early 50's who said that she was so sore she could barely even walk and that she probably couldn't continue more than another day or two. She was bringing home about 30 dollars a day picking sweet potatoes and it wasn't enough for gas in her car and food and she simply couldn't handle it.

https://www.littler.com/publication...immigration-law-affect-private-employers

NEWS & ANALYSISASAP
How Will Florida’s New Immigration Law Affect Private Employers?
By Angel Valverde and Jorge Lopez on May 10, 2023PRINT
On May 10, 2023, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed into law a new immigration bill (SB 1718) that will make sweeping changes for private employers with 25 or more employees. Passed by the Florida Senate on April 28, 2023 and by the Florida House of Representatives on May 2, 2023, this bill includes immigration-related provisions that will do the following:

Require the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) to enforce penalties requiring repayment of any economic development incentives or revocation of all applicable licenses, if the DEO finds or is notified that an employer has knowingly employed an individual who is not duly authorized to work;
As of July 1, 2023, require private employers with 25 or more employees to use the E-Verify system to verify a new employee’s employment eligibility;
Prohibit counties and municipalities from providing funds to any person, entity or organization that issues identification documents to an individual who does not provide proof of lawful presence in the United States;
Refuse to recognize driver’s licenses issued by another state to undocumented individuals who were unable to prove lawful presence in the United States when the licenses were issued;
Require certain hospitals to collect patient immigration status on registration or admission forms;
Repeal a regulation that allowed undocumented immigrants to be admitted to practice law in Florida; and
Define Human Smuggler as any person who knowingly and willfully transports an undocumented individual into the state, who knows or who “reasonably should have [known]” the individual’s immigration status. The bill also establishes criminal penalties for individuals who knowingly and willfully transport an undocumented individual into the state.
Under this bill, the Florida DEO may impose penalties on a person if they knowingly employ, hire, recruit, or refer for private or public employment, an individual unauthorized to work. Previously, enforcement authority vested with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). The DEO is authorized to impose the following civil penalties:

Require repayment of any economic development incentive;
Place the employer on probation for a 1-year period and require that the employer report quarterly to the DEO to demonstrate compliance with the statute;
If a violation of the statute takes place within 24 months after a previous violation, the DEO will be empowered to revoke or suspend all licenses issued by a licensing agency subject to Chapter 120 of the Florida Statutes.1
If the subsequent violation involves 1-10 unauthorized workers, the DEO can suspend all applicable licenses held by a private employer for up to 30 days by the respective agencies that issued them.
If the subsequent violation involves 11-50 unauthorized workers, the DEO can suspend all applicable licenses held by a private employer for up to 60 days by the respective agencies that issued them.
If the subsequent violation involves more than 50 unauthorized workers, the DEO can revoke applicable licenses held by a private employer by the respective agencies that issued them.
Additionally, the bill requires, starting on July 1, 2023, all private employers with 25 or more employees use the E-Verify system to verify a new employee’s employment eligibility. It is currently not an absolute requirement. The employment verification will need to occur within three business days after the first day the new employee begins working for pay. Those employers required to use E-Verify will be required to certify on their annual tax returns that they are in compliance with this requirement when contributing to or reimbursing the state’s unemployment compensation or reemployment assistance system. If the E-Verify system is unavailable during the three business days after the first day the new employee begins working, the employer will still need to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification form (Form I-9) to verify employment eligibility.

Regardless of this mandate, according to federal regulations, all employers must verify the identity and employment authorization documents by completing and retaining Form I-9 before creating a case in the E-Verify system.

Furthermore, according to this bill, employers must retain a copy of the documentation provided and any official verification generated, for at least three years. The bill does not indicate whether the document retention requirement will be triggered by the date of employment or will begin three years after the date of employment termination. Based on federal regulations, it is likely the bill intends the document retention requirement be triggered by the date of employment. Federal regulations state that an employer must retain a Form I-9 for each person hired for three years after the date of hire, or one year after the date employment ends, whichever is later.

Finally, beginning on July 1, 2024, if the DEO determines that an employer failed to use E-Verify three or more times in any 24-month period, it may fine the employer $1,000 per day (from the date that the DEO determines that the employer failed to use the E-Verify System) in addition to suspending all licenses, until the employer provides proof of compliance. This mandate applies only to new employees; it does not apply to past hires or existing employees.

The new law takes effect on July 1, 2023.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm for strict penalties on employers that hire people in our country illegally. If they were not hiring them, that alone would greatly cut down on immigrants coming here illegally in the first place. But this does point out just how complicated our immigration policy is and how badly it's broken. The situation DeSantis has created by this new law is that if you don't make a way to deliver enough work visas to have enough workers to meet the demand when you pass such a law, the result will be not having enough workers to fill the demand.

A multi pronged approach is needed instead of scoring political points in preparing to announce your bid to run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024.

What he did made for a great bullet point for those who want to get tough on immigration. And I want to get tougher on illegal immigration too. But if you don't look at solving it from all directions the consequences aren't good either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by northlima dawg
This one is already hitting in Florida and it isn't supposed to take affect until July 1. Workers are leaving en' mass. They are not in the strawberry fields-they are not on construction sites-they are leaving resorts.

a large percentage of the work in the hospitality, agriculture, construction industry is done by undocumented workers.
Now, we are finally going to see if Americans can or want to do the work that these people do.

Good!

What people don't realize is that the quality of work will be raised significantly if it is done by citizens vs people who are in the USA illegally.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
You honestly think that?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Now, we are finally going to see if Americans can or want to do the work that these people do.

Good!

What people don't realize is that the quality of work will be raised significantly if it is done by citizens vs people who are in the USA illegally.

Completely disagree... I want our workers to be documented... but to assume the quality of work by undocumented workers is poor is misguided...

<><

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by jaybird

Good!

Completely disagree... I want our workers to be documented... but to assume the quality of work by undocumented workers is poor is misguided...

Think it depends on the industry.

I can say that as more and more framing, roofing and drywall crews evolved to more migrant crews, the "quality" of the work definitely suffered. What we can't say for sure though is if that was due to the change in the workers doing the work, the communication gap, the cultural differences in what "quality" may mean, or just a general change in overall quality expectations in the workplace across all industries.

I know most businesses will claim quality is top priority, but I'd argue, getting the project done, on time, sometimes means sacrificing quality. And we are a culture of instant gratification, quality takes time, no one wants to wait for it though.

"I want the product, for the lowest price, with the best quality, and I want it now.", "Well you can pick 2, not all 3."

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
DeStains showing he can be more fascist than the orange fascist. He’s a pig.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/16/23 11:09 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, he really is just a troll that is looking for cultural war issues to create laws to solve problems that don't exist.

This one may be a bit of a problem. While I agree with e-verify, Florida may wind up with produce rotting.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Florida can dry up like a prune and fall into the ocean for all I care. They deserve what they get for voting for that fascist pig. I hope Florida and Texas are hell holes for the next decade to prove the fascists can’t rule. I’m only worried that it could still happen on a national level, or in Ohio where it affects me and mine. You can’t fix stupid.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/16/23 11:27 AM.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Florida can dry up like a prune and fall into the ocean for all I care. They deserve what they get for voting for that fascist pig. I hope Florida and Texas are hell holes for the next decade to prove the fascists can’t rule. I’m only worried that it could still happen on a national level, or in Ohio where it affects me and mine. You can’t fix stupid.

Yeah, California, New York, Illinois specifically Chicago, San Fran, NY are just a bed of roses, aren't they? Those commie rules are just working well, aren't they? Maybe, that is why their citizens are moving to Florida and Texas. They want actual Leadership. You call it Fascist because you don't know what Leadership is. Truth is you don't know what Fascist is.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
You don’t know what truth is… sad.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Speaking of not knowing what something means. Can you explain what those "commie rules" are you claim?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

rofl

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

meanwhile, every liberal city with a population of over 500,000 in America is falling apart.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jaybird

Good!

explain it to me if you think differently.

P
Legend
Legend
P
As I said earlier, you know nothing about Nashville. Population has been on the rise for several years now. It has one of the hottest job market in America. It is a large tourist destination. You just keep screaming the same thing while expecting them to exlpain it to you. Meanwhile you have only been ranting without explaining anything yourself. Go figure.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In this part of the world, there are a lot of skilled craftsman that may be documented or undocumented. The quality of work is more a function of the individual that performs the work then their immigration status.

Poor quality work is not always a function of the documentation associated with immigration status, and vice versa.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Poor quality work is not always a function of the documentation associated with immigration status, and vice versa.

this has nothing to do with what I was trying to say... sorry for the confusion.

What I was trying to say is the quality of the job/worksite/safety/health benefits/retirement etc

Legend
Legend
Lol .. only makes Desantis guilty of his own law. Sending undocumented migrants from one state to another state. Dude is a straight up modern day Hitler. Lock him up.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
As I said earlier, you know nothing about Nashville. Population has been on the rise for several years now. It has one of the hottest job market in America. It is a large tourist destination. You just keep screaming the same thing while expecting them to exlpain it to you. Meanwhile you have only been ranting without explaining anything yourself. Go figure.

Clearly, you do not know what is actually going on there. I was just there. it's a fricking disaster.

there are nearly 20,000 homeless (PC police calling it "unhoused" now) there.

https://backpackbed.org/us/nashville-homeless/

The homeless are super aggressive and lay everywhere outside bars and restaurants.

they also just spent 50 mill on the issue because it's so bad.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...eral-funds-for-homelessness/69539747007/

Legend
Legend
Dude, there is a homeless crises in just about every city in the USA. It’s not a liberal vs conservative crisis. It’s a humanitarian crisis. To bad one side doesn’t even want to look for a humanitarian solution and instead just want to point fingers at the other side.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Dude, there is a homeless crises in just about every city in the USA. It’s not a liberal vs conservative crisis. It’s a humanitarian crisis. To bad one side doesn’t even want to look for a humanitarian solution and instead just want to point fingers at the other side.

Of the top 32 sized cities in America, only 3 are run by Republicans.

Jacksonville, Fort Worth, and Oklahoma City

Jacksonville has a homeless population of about 3,400
Oklahoma City has about 1,350
Fort Worth has about 2,700

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti.../77-a729e5e2-3aa9-4b4a-a9e1-fa1e78b4b573
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/new...lation-reduce-two-year-plan/70080865007/
https://fortworthreport.org/2023/03...y-homeless-population-reaches-over-2700/

Legend
Legend
I can see that - I think the construction business in my area has gone down with all of these cookie cutter homes going up... but have seen some excellent worth from undocumented individuals... and piss poor worked from Americans smile

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, I only live here. Let me clue you in here. I grew up in a rural Ohio county. The county seat had a population of less than 25,000. There were areas of that town which were places I wouldn't go into late at night. What you are doing is taking the worse parts of a city in the case of Nashville and trying to represent that as what they city is as a whole. You can do that most anywhere.

As far as the homeless are concerned, they go to places that are big enough to have the resources to feed them. Places with food kitchens and homeless shelters where they can sleep. Small town America lacks those resources.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
You can take Jacksonville off your list....

‘We made history tonight’: Donna Deegan becomes Jacksonville’s first female mayor

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The city of Jacksonville picked Democrat Donna Deegan to take over as Jacksonville’s mayor Tuesday making her the first female to lead the River City.

“We made history tonight folks,” Donna Deegan, Jacksonville’s newly-elected mayor said. “It is a brand new day for Jacksonville, Florida.”

“I just received a very nice phone call from Daniel Davis who said to me that he is rooting for me and he will work for me to create a city that works for all of us,” Deegan said in front of a crowd of her supporters. “He is ready to work together and I’m ready to work with him and everybody else who loves this city to make this city everything it can be.”

Deegan clinched Jacksonville’s mayor seat with 52% to Davis’ 48%.

Davis and Deegan have been vying for that seat, pitching themselves to voters with contrasting viewpoints since they landed in a runoff after no candidates in the March first election received 50% of the vote.

Deegan led in March with 39% of the vote to Davis’ 25% in a field of seven candidates.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...ecomes-jacksonvilles-first-female-mayor/

It appears the people who actually live there, once again, do not share your outsider opinion.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Of the top 32 sized cities in America, only 3 are run by Republicans.

Lol …there is probably a good reason for that. They won their elections fair and square. Something the trump brigade and others have a problem with.

As much as you want to spin this issue as a political football. Homelessness is not a republican vs democrat crisis. It’s a human crisis and we all must be humane to solve it. Not likely since one side continues to point fingers typically casting blame. Wasted energy. But please continue.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend

Good!

I gotta tell you, you are dead wrong. Americans don't want to work in the fields picking apples and oranges.

What will actually happen is crops will die on the vine. They won't get picked, you won't have orange juice with your breakfast, then I'm sure you will find some other way to blame immigrants for that.

This country needs migrant workers that come in, do a job, then go back home. Some stay illegally, we should either kick them out or find a way to bring them in legally. I vote for bringing them in legally.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O

meanwhile, every liberal city with a population of over 500,000 in America is falling apart.

If large lib cities are falling apart, maybe they should quit funding broke ass backwoods red states.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/23 01:26 PM.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Desantis signs new immigration law

Link Copied to Clipboard