Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I was about to add this to the discussion in "Browns News and Notes Continued...". I thought it might be better to create a new discussion.

I'm watching Jordon Love in Green Bay along with DTR in Cleveland. I've wanted a team to crack the code of developing a method for obtaining franchise QBs. The current NFL business model is insane.

When the NFL changed the rules making it a passing league, I believe they divided the league into the haves and have-nots. The method of gutting a team and tanking a season in order to get a franchise QB seems counterintuitive. On average, it takes an NFL team to go from ground zero to contender about five years. We all know that does not sit well with fans and owners who want it done in one or two.

Cleveland proved taking a leap of faith by gutting a team and drafting a QB with the first overall pick is not a sure thing. I can't even imagine the frustration in San Francisco.

I get the QB position is the key to success. I also get that the best algorithms cannot project franchise quarterbacks. You can build this amazing team, i.e. San Francisco, and watch it fizzle because the QB was not as good as projected. They are stuck with no way of salvaging it. Look at the measures Cleveland had to take to get Watson. Seriously, I think the NFL really needs to modify things.

If DTR and Love become adequate QBs, it might prove teams who have franchise QBs can produce a product and sell to the have-nots. Thus, making it a win-win for the league.

What are your thoughts?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't understand the point. How has Cleveland and DTR solved anything?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Cleveland can do one of two things:

1. Develop DTR into a top-10 QB and trade Watson when his contract ends;

2. Develop DTR and trade him for draft picks.

If Cleveland chooses the first option, they can cycle through QBs every four or five years keeping QB costs down.

If they choose the second option, they can retool their cornerstone positions obtaining early draft picks.

Cleveland and Green Bay have not proven anything yet, but they have given themselves a mechanism to obtain a franchise QB without having to tear down the roster and tank a season.

Legend
Legend
we're getting way ahead of ourselves, but if DTR turns out to be a viable starting QB it will be a heck of a story

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
3 members like this: oobernoober, PitDAWG, Milk Man
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
we're getting way ahead of ourselves, but if DTR turns out to be a viable starting QB it will be a heck of a story

Exactly. My memory still recalls how people were pimping Charlie Frye as our franchise QB. LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Exactly. My memory still recalls how people were pimping Charlie Frye as our franchise QB. LOL
haha well he did have a funny McDonald's commercial

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

It'll be a heck of a story if he has a 10 year career as back-up QB. Most late round QB picks fizzle out of the league after a couple of years.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
DTR has looked good for a late round pick, in pre-season, against scrubs. I hope he continues to grow.

This cart is so far in front of the horse it fell off a cliff and the horse isn't even sweating.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Huh?

Love was a first round pick that sat behind a future HOF QB. High expectations.

DTR was a 5th round pick where the expectations are that he may be a backup.

If he becomes a long term starter he will be mentioned with Dak and TB as a generational pick.

No comparison. Picking QB’s that will succeed in the NFL is risky.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Rookie
Rookie
Not sure I 100 percent understand the question. DTR has looked sharp no doubt, but it also has been preseason and he has not really went against the best from other teams. I like the kid and the maturity he brings, but a bit premature to put him as a'franchise' QB; needs to lockdown being a solid backup first.

When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up.-Rodney Dangerfield
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Bugs, The only way that we’ll know is if Desean finds a way to get suspended again, play’s horrible , or gets injured. The fact that the Browns traded the guy who was in front of DTR means that they feel he's a solid backup at this point- and does give credibility to your argument.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Might want to wait until we get some real game results before we attempt to answer such questions...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see Love and DTR as different. GB drafting Love in the first round to sit behind their HOF QB echos their drafting Rogers to sit behind Farve. It worked once, and they are following the same script. DTR was drafted to be a backup with the same skillset. That he appears to be better than expected is a nice bonus.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Charley Frye, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield ... Ahhhh the memories

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Has Cleveland and Green Bay solve the riddle on Franchise QBs?

Link Copied to Clipboard