Next Thread
Print Thread
#2027219 09/12/23 06:05 AM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I couldn't find the old thread that started some months ago, but was wondering how it went for the people that went with the You Tube package?

I go to most of the home games, but will probably sign up in the next week or so because I would rather cook up a pot of some sort of soup or whatever and watch games at home v going to a bar to catch the games. I am getting a bit older and would rather just do that.

How about some reviews in one thread?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2027228 09/12/23 08:26 AM
Legend
Legend
I had no problem minus one thing: the feed is like 40 seconds behind the real-time game. So being on twitter or whatever is not good during the game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Ballpeen #2027232 09/12/23 08:50 AM
Legend
Legend
I was reluctant to mess with it during the game.

But I wanted to record it and be able to go back and forth looking at plays. When it was directv it was super simple to record, stop, rewind, and then go back to live.

My practice in games is often to watch a play two or three times. Then go back live.

I think you can go to the website and put the game in a library. Then it is recorded. I will mess with it this week because we play Monday on regular tv.

Ballpeen #2027238 09/12/23 09:29 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I have thoughts. Moving between games is clumsy and slow. Every time you change the channel it buffers. So quickly flipping to another game during a timeout or during a quick injury break isn’t recommended. By the time the new game buffers you need to go back as the game you want to watch will also need to buffer to get back. There’s no ‘previous channel’ button. So you have to go through the main guide page. God forbid you hit a wrong button and end up outside the YouTubeTV app. That makes you have to start all over… load the app, scroll the guide, buffer the game…
Overall… I get to watch my team, so it’s hard to complain. That said, it sucks.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I have thoughts. Moving between games is clumsy and slow. Every time you change the channel it buffers. So quickly flipping to another game during a timeout or during a quick injury break isn’t recommended. By the time the new game buffers you need to go back as the game you want to watch will also need to buffer to get back. There’s no ‘previous channel’ button. So you have to go through the main guide page. God forbid you hit a wrong button and end up outside the YouTubeTV app. That makes you have to start all over… load the app, scroll the guide, buffer the game…
Overall… I get to watch my team, so it’s hard to complain. That said, it sucks.

I have mostly the same thoughts, but don’t experience buffering. Maybe that it because I have Frontier fiber internet? I don’t know what speeds you have but my YouTube TV has never had to buffer. I really miss my previous channel button or being able to type in a channel to go to another game quickly during commercials.

All that being said, the picture was dramatically better than it was on Direct TV for me.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
There’s no ‘previous channel’ button. So you have to go through the main guide page. God forbid you hit a wrong button and end up outside the YouTubeTV app. That makes you have to start all over… load the app, scroll the guide, buffer the game…

It's stuff like this that I just don't understand. Does anybody test-drive any new tech before it's released? It's almost all ridiculously counter-intuitive. Will it get fixed? Hell no. Yet it's something so simple, and necessary, that it's not much different than expecting toilet paper in a public restroom. "DBM" is the term I always use -- designed by monkeys.

=========

Also, is your TV hardwired to the network? I never, ever, ever have any issues with TVs that are hardwired; even with subpar internet speeds.

If running CAT5 is too painful, there is always a powerline extender (about $50), turns nearest electrical outlet into a plug-n-play hardwired ethernet adapter.

Last edited by FATE; 09/12/23 09:47 AM. Reason: Edited to address buffering

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Ballpeen #2027279 09/12/23 11:16 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

This is simply an article that helps explain why there's a lag time on streaming the games on the new Sunday ticket. It won't be fixed because the delivery method can't be fixed as it is currently.

NFL 'Sunday Ticket' expected to have major delays on YouTube TV

The NFL sold the "Sunday Ticket" satellite package to YouTube last year, and subscribers should be ready for action coming to their screens after it happens on traditional TV.

As thousands of football fans fill stadiums across America to see the first Sunday of NFL action, millions more will watch at home and at bars — as much as one minute later.

For nearly three decades, football's most dedicated fans subscribed to the "Sunday Ticket" satellite package to tune into games not shown on traditional TV via national broadcast or local affiliates.

But since the NFL sold rights to the package to YouTube for $2 billion annually at the end of last year, those fanatics will now have to stream out-of-market games, which can come with multi-second delays.

That’s because images and sounds carried digitally routinely take more time to reach computer screens compared to those delivered nearly instantly by cable or satellite.

Jed Corenthal, chief marketing officer of Chicago-based steaming technology firm Phenix, predicts that some streaming customers could experience up to a minute of delay.

“I expect people will have some issues,” he said. “There’s going to be some unhappy people because of the latency. I’m confident in that statement, unfortunately.”

For example, fans watching the Super Bowl earlier this year on one of six leading digital providers saw the big plays between 23 seconds and 76 seconds after spectators in the stands did, according to an annual study done by Phenix of the lag between real-time action of the NFL title game versus streaming.

In a statement, Google, the parent company of YouTube, said it's confident in its infrastructure for Sunday and urged their viewers to tune into a feature, "Stats for Nerds," that tracks raw data on latency and bandwidth.

“Overall, YouTube TV is built on the infrastructure that powers YouTube and reliably serves billions of playback every day," the company said. "The YouTube TV team is working on building a high-quality Sunday Ticket experience."

A spokesperson, however, declined to discuss potential latency issues for “Sunday Ticket.”

Experts told NBC News that the delay "Sunday Ticket" subscribers will face on Sunday can't be helped and is just the reality of current technology, engineers said.

Images and sounds are broken into chunks and sent to a content delivery network (CDN) which reassembles these packages for the video delivered to streaming viewers. These extra steps inevitably lead to delays compared to cable or satellite.

"Think of cable as delivering all pieces in one truck whereas streaming must send different pieces through different delivery trucks," said Biao Chen, a professor of electrical engineering and computer science at Syracuse University.

Chip Gubera, who teaches media technology and design at the University of Missouri's College of Engineering, compared streaming to a trick play in football where the ball is passed around sideways or backward before moving forward.

“It’s more players having to touch the ball," Gubera said.

Latency issues would be of no concern if fans, watching traditional TV or streaming, were all taking in the action and reacting with nearly the same delay.

But in the modern era of two screens, almost all live human activity involves someone tweeting or texting about an event in real time.

And for those football fans watching the Sunday action on streaming services — but also glued to the constant discussion on social media — delays of even a few seconds can be significant.

"I think the average fan will understand this when I'm tweeting you and I'm telling you about a touchdown you haven't yet seen," Corenthal said. “More and more people are complaining and grasping what it means to have all of these delays."

Paul Verna, media analyst at Insider Intelligence, recalled cutting the cord in 2018 and watching that year's New Year's Eve ball drop on his streaming device. He knew there'd be a delay, but seeing 2019 arrive late still took him by surprise.

"I'm watching ball drop on (streaming) TV and I'm looking at my watch and it's already midnight, well past midnight, and the ball hasn't dropped yet, " Verna said. "I’m like, ‘Wow, people have rung in the new year for 45 seconds now.' "

He expects a measure of NFL fans on Sunday to feel like he did in the first moments of Jan. 1, 2019.

"I think some people will be taken aback," Verna said. "Some people will experience this for the very first time and other people will be like me, who already knew this would happen, but will experience it in a way that's new to them and they're going to be weirded out by it."

Mizzou's Gubera, however, said he's confident YouTube will deliver a not-so-tardy product on Sunday.

"They have it down. They have the infrastructure," he said. "With what they currently have, going full throttle, I think they'll do fine."

The professor declined to guess how far behind the action YouTube will be on Sunday — but it better not be much more than 10 seconds slower than cable.

"How long does it take to type out a Tweet and send it?" he rhetorically asked. "Five seconds, 10 seconds? That's when it becomes a problem, when I get the information from the second screen before I can watch it with my own eyes, that's when it comes an issue."

Early consumers reviews on Sunday appeared to be mixed with some complaining about delays and other streaming glitches while others grumbled about having to learn to watch on a new platform.

But others lauded YouTube for its picture quality and a feature allowing multiple games, and the “Red Zone” feature, to be on one screen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...tv-delays-streaming-broadcast-rcna103761

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #2027330 09/12/23 01:02 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
No, I’m not hardwired. My living room TV is not a smart tv. I’m using a Roku to stream YouTubeTV. This additional step also makes using YouTube TV that much more a pain in the arse as the Roku remote is VERY basic. It’s unfortunately all too easy to accidentally back out too far and be screwed with having to start from scratch.
The TV in my outbuilding where I sometimes watch with friends, while much smaller, is a smart tv. It makes navigating around easier with a full remote. There’s still no ‘previous channel’ button that functions within their system. So you still have to back out of your game and search for the other. It’s just not quick enough to do ‘timeout length’ channel/game surfing.

My buffer times are short… but still longer than flipping the channel on DirectTV.
I was hoping for YouTube tv to be a better platform. As it is I’ll cancel my subscription once the season ends. I can’t see using it as a daily TV option. For that I’ll stick with Direct Tv.
I’ll deal with next season next season.

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2027335 09/12/23 01:12 PM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Ok...there are some issues, but overall it sounds like nothing is going to impact me. I don't care about recording things and don't need to switch between games.

I also have a pretty good network...maybe the buffering won't be a issue. I have a DL speed that sits at 240 and a upload of 120. Those are pretty stable when checked. What that means I don't know, but am told it is pretty good.

Thanks for the reviews.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The Roku may still have a network cable port, depending on which model you bought.

Not sure of the differences between normal TYTV and the Sunday ticket UI, but pressing down twice usually brings up a banner with your recently viewed without leaving the show you're watching. Try that as it may eliminate backing out... backing out usually stresses the stream load time when picking a program.

The Roku remote is a love/hate proposition among users. I love it and hate remotes with a learning curve and 55 miniscule buttons. It just takes a while to get used to and different streaming formats bring different levels of 'intuitiveness'.

FATE #2027399 09/12/23 02:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
....are you an iPhone or Android person? lol

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I was an iPhone prisoner for about six months. I celebrated my release by running it over in my driveway and putting the video on Youtube.

Ballpeen #2027436 09/12/23 03:48 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Super glad Sunday Ticket is OFF Directv and on a platform that is better for me. I hope you guys that liked it on Directv better can sort out the new YT platform to your liking.

I had no buffering problems. I don't have YTTV but watch off of YT.

Living out of market, I don't have to get on those dangerous and crappy websites to see the Browns now. No more buffering into infinity!

Ballpeen #2027475 09/12/23 10:09 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I didn’t have any issues. I was pleasantly surprised. It helps they are used to serving millions streaming already. No one probably does it better than YT. The delay wasn’t that bad for me, maybe about 20 seconds, i compared it to my old way of watching via IPTV which always froze and was sometimes 2-3 minutes behind.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I had no problem minus one thing: the feed is like 40 seconds behind the real-time game. So being on twitter or whatever is not good during the game

Felt similar... I didn't mind the delay too much but was noticeable... I liked the multi-view option but couldn't figure out if I could pick the games I wanted to watch at the same time or just had the options YouTube gave me...

overall, I thought it was ok. picture looked a little better with DirectTv, but overall I was pleased with YouTube...

I go to all the Texans home games, so I only watch about half the Browns games... but to me it's worth paying for the NFL Package so I can watch the games at home rather than go to a bar... maybe when my boys are out of the house I'll go back to the sports bars... but for now I need to be home on Sundays if I'm not at a Texans game..

<><

#gmstrong
Ballpeen #2027786 09/15/23 09:56 AM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I went ahead and signed up this morning. The first Browns game I will be able to watch is the Balt. game. This week is on TV and I will be going to the Titans game. Actually, the Titans game will be on locally. I get them and the Falcons as local broadcasts. With no Browns game this weekend, I can fool around with it and see how everything works.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2028067 09/18/23 03:37 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is always a delay when streaming. It happens with all the channels, not just Sunday Ticket.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
There is always a delay when streaming. It happens with all the channels, not just Sunday Ticket.

I meant to get back. I really had no streaming delay unless I flipped between 3-4 games to avoid a commercial. I found that any delay could be fixed by hitting pause, rewind...it doesn't rewind, maybe goes back 1 second, then play. Problem fixed in 2 seconds.

As I mentioned in a thread some time ago. We have one of the best fiber optics netwoks in the country. Chattanooga was the first GIG city. Now it's even better. I don't claim to know what that means, but I do know my internet is pretty darn fast, so the streaming has very few hiccups. Like I said, I can jimmy it up a bit if I rapidly change to 3-4 games, and who knows, maybe that is a function of the router getting behind. Just switching from one game to another and actually watching for several seconds, no prob.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2029133 09/20/23 11:08 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Question for one if you techie-dawgs. I have a subscription to Sunday ticket. Works perfectly on my phone. However, my tv is 5 years old. It is a smart tv and has a smart hub where I can access YouTube tv. I tried running Sunday ticket a couple days ago and it kept lagging. One of my friends said to get a fire stick and run YouTube through it. I have 5g. - Is this the way to go? Any other suggestions?

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Question for one if you techie-dawgs. I have a subscription to Sunday ticket. Works perfectly on my phone. However, my tv is 5 years old. It is a smart tv and has a smart hub where I can access YouTube tv. I tried running Sunday ticket a couple days ago and it kept lagging. One of my friends said to get a fire stick and run YouTube through it. I have 5g. - Is this the way to go? Any other suggestions?

A simple google search of ''Is 5G faster than Wi-Fi at home? ''
Answer: ' Though 5G is typically the fastest mobile Internet connection, reliability can be a challenge. WiFi offers a faster, more reliable Internet connection when combined with a reliable router and a reliable Internet plan.'

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I'd try the Firestick route. I have (12) TVs in my office garage running (12) Firesticks...watching (12) things at once...none are smart TVs...Football, baseball, NASCAR, whatever.

I have business internet, BUT nothing special regarding upgraded packages for speed. (Business internet isn't really 'faster'...they are just more responsive when there is an issue.)

1 member likes this: RememberMuni
Cleats #2029413 09/21/23 08:36 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Ya lost me man…… ?

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Ya lost me man…… ?

I take it that a net connection through a home router with a stable net plan is better than a phone connection with an unstable phone connection.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2029431 09/22/23 08:33 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Ahhhh, Now I think I got it. You two are saying that when I connect my tv to the internet, connect it to Wi-Fi rather than 5g. Both options show up when I’m connecting the smart hub to the net. I’ll give it a try. Thank You for clarifying.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Ahhhh, Now I think I got it. You two are saying that when I connect my tv to the internet, connect it to Wi-Fi rather than 5g. Both options show up when I’m connecting the smart hub to the net. I’ll give it a try. Thank You for clarifying.

Good, let us know how that works out.

Legend
Legend

Who is your internet provider?

Ballpeen #2029458 09/22/23 10:52 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Breezeline I believe.

Legend
Legend
It looks like Breezline is a traditional cable internet provider. I thought they may have been providing internet over the 5g network. Anther thing that is confusing is that many routers offer two connection types: 2.4GHz or 5GHz. 5GHz would be much better for streaming as it offers more bandwidth with less interference. 2.4GHz would be better for range, an example would be a device that is further away from your router.

You may be saying "I have 5G" simply because you see it as a choice on your smart hub. I'm assuming when you say 'smart hub', you mean the user interface on the TV itself. It may be a function of your smart hub to ask how you want to connect. Does it actually connect when you choose "5G"?

You have a five year old TV from a company that is only concerned with selling more TVs. Sometimes updates are few and far between as time goes on. Lack of updates create handshaking problems, buffers and glitches with the "app" (YoutubeTV). Updates to stream boxes (Apple TV, Roku, Firestick) happen as soon as they come out and are applied without you asking the device to search for them.

I can't tell you the exact cause of the problem, I can only make (somewhat) educated guesses. I can tell you that I have never, ever have a streaming problem with a Roku... can't speak for Firestick.

If you want to go that route, send a PM or post here and we'll help you get it set up.

FATE #2029536 09/22/23 11:09 PM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
To me that sounds complicated, but i am a old guy and freely admit i don't get all that stuff.

Again, my feeling is you are pulling off some Verison tower, who whatever, you lose something.

I still call it my cable provider. It is a fiber optic network. My router is in the closet wall. It has cables connected to it above and beyond simply power. There are no cables running to different rooms in the house. They all stream off the router.

LOl....sorry to all....mine works just fine, so in the end, that is most important.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
FATE #2029540 09/23/23 07:18 AM
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
At first I knew nothing about how I was going to stream Sunday ticket on my 13 yr old tv. I researched and bought the Roku as my best choice...nothing fancy but not the low end model. I'm an old guy too but I figured it out. Set up was easy and there is an option to update the app. The one thing that frustrated me at first was I could not stream NFL games on youtubetv without buying a plan. Choosing the Sunday ticket as a Primetime channel (no plan purchase) let me watch on the youtube app only. I'm still learning this stuff as I go.

1 member likes this: FATE
Ballpeen #2029549 09/23/23 09:26 AM
Legend
Legend
Roku's setup and user interface is ridiculously easy.

As of about five years ago, I just started replacing older TVs with Roku TVs. Never any problems, streaming issues or frustration.

FATE #2029553 09/23/23 09:48 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Roku’s remote is seriously lacking buttons. That’s my biggest issue with using it. It’s like 5 buttons, poorly marked, to do everything. If you hit the wrong one you end up backed out of the app you’re in and having to start over.

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Sunday ticket

Link Copied to Clipboard