Legend

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: PitDAWG, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess this is the last "due", due.

I never really considered Willie a rocker, but he had the vibe of a rocker. I totally understood Johnny Cash being elected because he and Elvis toured together and were there when many country artists kind of morphed in to rockers and rockers morphed in to country stars. Conway Twitty is a prime example of that.

But with all the cross over appeal it's no wonder the Rock Hall extended this award, and I agree, it's about time. Some of the special artists can't be pigeonholed in to one style. They all had a primary leaning but to box them in is a disservice.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think the year was 1976. I was living in Austin. Outside of Austin in the sticks was a joint called "The Soap Creek Salon."

I had lived in Montana the year before and saw a band called "Blue Ridge Mountain Boys." I found out they were playing at the Soap Creek Salon. So away I did go. Saw the band hung out and drank too much. Decided not to drive. Slept in the parking lot. In the morning someone knocked on my door and woke me up. I have felt better. Anyway this guy asked if I wanted to work. I asked what's up? What do you have going on? He explained that in the evening there was going to be a party for a bunch of Nashville record people and they needed some help. So I said sure.

So, there were things to do. In the late afternoon a bunch of buses showed up. People arriving. It was not what I was expecting. Famous people arrived. Charlie Pride, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Leon Russell all kinds of people. Willie was the one throwing the party. There were record producers, musicians, all kinds of people. I was walking around just mingling. Talk about being star struck. I was standing three feet away from Dylan. I had to pinch myself. Got on one of the buses. There was this white powder on a tray being passed around. I passed. Charlie Pride was on the bus.

The night went on. I mixed and mingled and did a little work to make sure I earned my keep. Nothing crazy happened but I for sure felt like I was cool. Well not really but I thought I was next to cool.

Anyway Willie was a fixture in Austin. A few nights later Dylan and the Rolling Thunder Review play at the Armadillo. I went to that show. I was one of the first people let in. I walked up near the stage. The curtain was drawn. There were guys setting things up. One guy had a cowboy hat and was at a piano. His head was down and I could not see him well. He got up and walked right toward me. I was stage left just standing there. The guy was Dylan. As he walked toward me. He tripped a bit on a cord. I put my hands up to catch him but he caught his balance. There were paintings hanging in the very back of the stage. All I could think to say was. I liked the paintings. He smiled and said "thanks." Then just walked backstage.

I returned to my seat and to this girl I was with. She was from Israel and was huge Dylan fan. I said "you are not going to effing believe me."

My brush with fame.

Legend
Legend
Edit.

The Montana band was "The Mission Mountain Wood Band."

P
Legend
Legend
P
Willie has earned it. And yes, I'm sure people don't consider him a R&R artist. But then again I don't consider Hip Hop R&R either. It's its own genre and as such deserves its own HOF. So the lines have been being blurred for a very long time now.

I've always been a bigger Waylon fan than a Willie fan but those were the first two country artists of which I actually bought their music. That and what was known as the country Outlaws album. The artists on that album were Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jessi Colter (Waylon's wife), and Tompall Glaser, released by RCA Records in 1976. That album may be the very reason the R&R Hall is inducting Willie. Because at that time country music looked down on these artists. They were truly the shunned. It was the rockers such as myself that found their music at that time, purchased a lot of their music and supported them. As such it became the very first country album to go platinum.

It opened the door to country music for me. While I'm choosy with every genre of music and country is no different, there are artists I like. With what I call country's evolution into pop those artists are becoming more rare all the time.

Congrats Willie!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
all those old timers go back to the days of Rockabilly when Rock-n-Roll was being born, and the Rock Hall claims all Rockabilly artists (and any other genre that brings appeal).

The Day the Music Died, when Buddy Holly died, he was on that plane because he took Waylon Jennings' seat. Waylon, Hank, and lots of others were Country/Rockabilly (which is a Country and R&B blend).
The 'Outlaw Country' that Waylon, Willie, Hank, and others were so identified with is really just a grown-up incarnation of what Rockabilly started as.

basically, none of it is as distinct as folks like to think, and honestly, if you wanted, you could probably trace the lineage of all of it back to Baroque, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
One can draw lines to all sorts of genealogy lines, so to speak.

Bill Haley. Rock around the Clock. One of the first big 'Rock" songs, might be the anthem, he was a "hillbilly' singer. Elvis and Cash drew great inspiration from gospel.

No doubt rock morphed from many different influences.

I still like Rockabilly. It's just a good sound IMO. It's just that not may play it, or rather it doesn't get much radio play to any extent these days.

Marty Stuart. He has stayed pretty true to the sound. He has been a part of Nashville since he was maybe 13 years old. Been an ambassador to country for maybe 50 years now, and he just got elected to the Country Hall last year. He and his band the Superlatives put on a great concert. I have paid to see them 4 times.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
I read this morning about the rock n roll hall of fame induction ceremony.

I have a big problem with the hall of fame. The year Joe Cocker died, artist Billy Joel — interviewed in a documentary about the life of Joe Cocker — hand-delivered a petition to get him included in the hall before Cocker's death of cancer. The Hall refused and he has not been inducted since.

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z

I am not going to single anyone out. But nobody can convince me Joe does not belong. There are people on that list that are not in his league.

Joe had an amazing career. He had a singular style and sound. Great singer who could sing any type of song in his own distinctive way.
He was also a fine man and a friend to my family.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
This is good news.

I never paid too much attention to the RnR HofF because so many of the inductees (and those who were ridiculously excluded for so long) didn't make much sense to me.

I will say his Kennedy Center Honors tribute was very good.

Willie is also one of the best when it comes to duets (especially with women):

L
Legend
Legend
L
The rock and roll hall of fame is a joke. I love Dolly Parton but she doesn’t belong there, neither does Willie. Both very talented but not rockers.

Styx, Foreigner: two classic 70s/80s bands who aren’t in. Seriously?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Dolly even said "no thanks" citing the fact that she's never even made a rock album... "Others are more deserving".

They still inducted her.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
The rock and roll hall of fame is a joke. I love Dolly Parton but she doesn’t belong there, neither does Willie. Both very talented but not rockers.

I have said for years that this monument is (and was always) poorly-named, and focused too narrowly.
For years, I have advocated that its name should be adjusted to reflect the true breadth and depth of the genres that move(d) popular culture.

As long as this museum sports "Rock & Roll," in its name, there will always be people who will insist that only R&R (by their own definitions) should be allowed in. Personally, I find that to be extremely limiting.

Change the name to something like "Popular Music Hall of Fame."
It will more accurately describe the eclecticism of the range of inductees... and it will eliminate the endless debate among hidebounds as to what this memorial monument actually represents.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
You can keep Rock in the name sine it was the original intent. But no doubt, rock has changed and you can't keep inducting 70 year olds...lol.

Maybe Rock/Pop Hall.

Pop isn't just bubble gum. It's popular music. Popular can be any type of music. I myself don't like Rap, but it is popular and it doesn't have it's own hall, but many of the artists deserve a place.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg

This.
The Rock Hall doesn't care about being a true Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame, it's just an inclusivity vessel that wants to be everything to every genre. It claims everything it can as its own (kinda like the music industry in general) and feels justified in doing so because a) $$$ and b) Rock is derived from everything. Still, if you have an R&B artist that never ventured out of pure R&B into Rock, they shouldn't be in the Rock Hall, same for Country, Gospel, or other artists. BUT, the more the Rock Hall can claim, the wider its draw and appeal. Afterall, its a business built to attract people to a museum, so they have to keep it relevant to as many as possible.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
There is a Hip Hop Hall of Fame, though ..... and Rap sure fits there a whole lot better than a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
There is a Hip Hop Hall of Fame, though ..... and Rap sure fits there a whole lot better than a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I have said, from almost the start, that the Hall Of Fame was unfortunately/inaccurately named.

"Rock & Roll" is, and always was, too limited/specific a genre, for what this museum was always destined to be... and the first cracks regarding the limitations of such a specific moniker became evident in Year One of its existence.

James Brown, practitioner extraordinaire of Soul & R&B, the seminal Godfather of the Pop Music subgenre known as Funk... was one of the first 10 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at its inaugural induction in New York on January 23, 1986. First ballot Hall of Famer. But he was never "Rock & Roll," per se. Ask any diehard Funk fan, he'll tell you: the only thing James' music had in common with R&R is that they both wrote their music in 4/4 time.

So you see, this museum was never strictly about Rock & Roll, even from Day One of its existence.

More accurately, this museum gives tribute to American Recorded Popular Music, and its name should reflect as such.

Changing its name to something like The Popular Music Hall of Fame would put to rest, once and for all, the unfortunate naming of this important museum on the shore of Lake Erie. Perhaps then, Dolly Parton would feel that she's worthy of a spot in this 'hallowed' hall.

It's a shame that some of us are so hidebound that labels prevent us from giving worthy people their just due.

[/rant]

an anonymous noise-making professional.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
To me it's like saying that Terry Bradshaw was the greatest Browns player of all time. He was a great player, in fact, a Hall of Fame player, but he was never a Brown, even though he played in the same broader league.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

Cool, then I agree.

As I have said, Purp, and a few others. The hall has to induct somebody. They can't just induct every band that ever played rock music. They are starting to run out of people to induct.

The problem is the rock hall inducted too many per year. They probably average around 7 entries per year. There comes a point where you start to run out of quality inductees.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
It's a shame that some of us are so hidebound that labels prevent us from giving worthy people their just due.

I don't believe that actually has anything to do with it and you pointed out why in your post. They named it wrong. If you're going to call it the R&R HOF, then make it the R&R HOF. If that's not what it is then name it accordingly. I don't believe it's the fault of anyone on this board or their distaste for other certain genres that begrudge those artists recognition.

I have no problem with a popular music HOF. I have no problem with artists of other genres getting their due. I'm fine if it's all inclusive under one roof. But labeling in under the pretext of R&R isn't my fault. And expecting something called the R&R HOF to be about R&R is not some shameful act to prevent other artists from getting their just dues.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... A Legend Gets His Due.

Link Copied to Clipboard