Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2055170 01/15/24 06:55 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Maybe it’s a bit early but our season is over. Playoffs are still underway but for us, it’s fall back, assess and come up with a plan. (Not us of course, we are but lowly fans. But let’s pretend our opinions matter, shall we?)

At the end of last season I was about as hopeless for this team as I’d been in years. I didn’t believe in DW and I really wasn’t confident we’d figure things out. I really didn’t know what we should do, there wasn’t a clear path in my mind. And there was just a lot of bad juju still floating about.

Perhaps ironically I have a good deal more hope going into this off season. Yes, DW has been a practical disappointment in poor play early and unfortunate injury later but he did play quite well in a few games this season, none better than the game that ended his season. I think he and the defense might well come back with sizable chips on their shoulders. They’re gonna have to. DW having seen that this is a team that really is a QB away from contention. The defense for failing themselves on the big stage. Experience is a ruthless teacher.

In a real sense, the way things ended this season might actually be good for teeing up next season. To wit:

There’s no legitimate QB controversy that needs to be hashed out. Midnight finally struck for Flacco and I don’t think anyone realistically thinks he’s anything more than a backup at this point. It would have been nice to win Saturday but, personally, I had very little faith his pure magic would hold up over the next several weeks. What happened Saturday was just about exactly how I saw it ending for him. I just figured it was more likely against buffalo or Baltimore. He is what he is. It was fun while it lasted!

Assuming we can keep him healthy, this is DW’s sink/swim year. We will probably know quite a bit more about the future of the Cleveland Browns QB position by this time next year. Again, if he stays healthy. Not to say if he’s mediocre we won’t still be playing him in 25/26 but we’ll understand how to adjust our expectations. Personally, I’ll bet he’s fired up. I know I would be if I was in his position, watching the team that continued to thrive without me, watching a newly beloved backup get trounced by my old team in the playoffs. Oooh boy, I’d be doing push-ups in the parking lot thinking about next year. I hope he’s chomping at the bit.

Swartz isn’t going anywhere. There aren’t even whispers of interviews for him that I’ve heard. The egg they laid this weekend is on his face as much as anyone’s. Also, I think more than a few people sensed that the defense, while not a fraud, was vulnerable in very Swartz specific ways. I’ve read it a few times about his defenses: He’s a gambler, puts guys in aggressive positions, bets on his players in man. Prevent defense is not a coat he wears often and don’t we love him for it. It’s fun and splashy and the players love it, but they can give up big plays if a QB has time and/or a lot of mobility and the receivers can get behind coverage. But most of the time this D works well and is very hard to beat if an offense isn’t a pretty complete unit. Texas seemed to overload the OL with TEs and blocking backs and that really shut down our pass rush and opened holes for the run game. They were masterful in blocking. It puts the onus squarely on the secondary. I think we really missed Delpit and Walker. I’m not sure what the answer is here, I leave it to the X-O’ers in attendance. But we will still have a good defense next year.

We’re not in cap hell. We’re not rebooting FO or coaching. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think most of our best players are under contract for next year. And I think we got a taste of glory along with a smack in the mouth. That’s a good combo if you didn’t know. One of the best.

It’s true we have no #1 pick but I do trust Berry will find some gems in this draft and off the pile. I don’t know much about this draft, where’s its deep or thin. And who knows who’s available in FA but we’re not that far off (if DW has a decent year)

What do you see as our biggest positional need? Where would you focus? How would you stock up to prevent a Texas/ Baltimore style offense from doing what they did to us. Is that just a scheme thing or personelle?

I’ll Start:
OL depth. We weren’t bad in this regard (god bless Bill Callahan) but we need a restock. We need youth and durability. I’m not as down on Wills as others. He’s middle of the road and that alone is hard to find. Conklin is probably toast but Jones looks good.

RB. Who knows what Chubb looks like next fall. No bigger worry in my head than he not being the same player. Ford is just ok. Strong is just ok at this point. Hunt plays with heart but we can see why Berry let him go. We need another legit RB.

I would also love for us to find a punisher at LB. Taktaki was much improved imo. Fields is pretty good when healthy. JOK is coming into top tier player status, flying around the field. But I kept wondering where the second level hammer was for the running game on Saturday. I’m frankly not sure what to do on defense other than get healthy.

(Let’s keep the woe-is-me and negativity to a minimum please. We know you’re still hurting from Saturday and maybe you need more time vent and cry. Let’s just not do that in this thread. Winners get back up, figure out what went wrong and get to work. The cards we have are what we have, play what ya got but don’t gripe about it)

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
M
Legend
Legend
M
Pretty good read predicting all things roster and contracts...

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...2024-roster-offseason-224194195/#2337894

Legend
Legend
Overall, it does feel as if we are going into next season in better condition. We have a lot of young talent. Coaching seems solid. We will have some holes to fill but that's an always thing. Kicker, Receivers, Back up QB, and more.

If Watson can actually be what we brought him in to be, that will make a hell of a difference. I still have my doubts. But I remain hopeful! I have too!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know the saying " Defenses win Championships"

Yeah maybe, But the Browns need to amp up the Offense.

An explosive WR would be a wonderful edition

A hard nosed pounding RB

I really like Schwartz, after Staurdays game. If he leaves and Vrabel is still available

Hey ,it is what it is

The offense needs high caliber play makers

Putting points on the board , that would be what's next on my list

2nd String
2nd String
Without all the injuries this was a championship team.

JimDawg #2055196 01/15/24 09:01 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed Jim. I feel we need at least a solid #2 WR. A better #2 RB would be nice too. Draft or sign a guard and OT in FA for depth. On D a LB would be nice, another good DL and a CB either by draft or FA. We don't need much. Oh, and a good solid vet #2 QB would be welcome too!!!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Agreed Jim.

You predicted a loss every week even when we were clearly the better team.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don’t believe I picked us losing every week. I didn’t think we would beat the 49ers and the 2nd game against the Ravens due to the injuries. I was wrong and happy about it. I felt we would lose to the Rams and Broncos and we did. We usually lose when we play out west and we almost always lose to the Broncos. This team went way beyond my expectations after the injuries and if we can stay relatively healthy next year and add some depth and key players we should contend again. I posted earlier and i’ll say it again that I feel the injuries finally caught up to us in our last game.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
No, the Browns are not a “championship team”. That term is meaningless. They seem to be based on this year a team that should be in the playoffs. Once in the playoffs the competition is stiffer so we would have to see what happens based upon the totality of the situation including injuries, the opponent’s strengths and weaknesses and our coaching staff’s ability to adjust etc.

Regarding DW he is the QB next year, period. We will have to serve if he lives up to our and ownership/FO’s expectations. Imo, he won’t because the bar has become too high. It is based on his one truly great season. His other seasons were very good but we need to stop judging by the one season. Give him weapons which does mean improving the wideout situation and I would be very pleased with 25-30 TDS and less than 12 INTs.

Legend
Legend
After each year ends and you have witnessed the playoffs what you see is the importance of luck with injuries.

The talent in the NFL when seasons begin with healthy players is damn close. The advantage of having a top tier quarterback gives you a chance to reach the end.

As the season unwinds injuries mount. Each time a starter is replaced. There is a drop in talent. How much of a drop depends on your depth. Once a position is down to third string the drop becomes glaring.

Our first loss was Conklin. Dawand Jones stepped in and was really good. In fact he was better at pass blocking. Then Wills was lost and Hudson filled in. When Jones was lost Hudson took over at RT and Christian played LT. The drop in talent was significant. The run game went south which had already lost Nick.

Some scoff and say excuses. Bear in mind the most expensive player on the team was gone before the halfway point and by the end of the season. We were on quarterback number four.

I bring this up because you cannot be that prepared for injury. It is financially impossible to have no drop in talent when injuries happen.

You cannot prevent injury. It is part of the business.

All you can do is assemble the best roster you can. Then hope luck is with you when it comes to injuries.

Legend
Legend
What's Next?

Free Agency - trying to retain those that earned it on their 1-year deals while trying to bring in upgrades, or just try other options, at other spots... .and maybe try to secure a major upgrade or two at a position of need, but not a flashy name; just someone that produces.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What’s Next?

Link Copied to Clipboard