Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Between this and the Collage portal

There seems to be a movement of Alabamaians to

Ohio

lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Getting this kind of coach to be a TEs coach seems like a very good hire if it happens

Legend
Legend
I read Rees background.

He was a quarterback as a player. He has some experience as a qb coach and has some experience as an OC.

Tight ends coach? I cannot say because titles in the NFL can be deceptive as far as true responsibilities.

Maybe he has that title but his responsibilities will be more involved with the total offense? I cannot say at this time.

His career background shows nothing about being involved with tight ends directly. He did not play the position. He has not coached the position before.

So, honestly I don't know what to make of this until possible future clarification.

Last edited by bonefish; 01/22/24 06:59 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good point Bonefish

It does say his exact title is uncertain

Curious now

He's no Dan Campbell as far as playing TE and ending up as a TE coach and now a HC doing well in Detroit

Although Campbell only had his rookie season not on the injured reserve

Guy was hurt so much that he wasn't even granted a SB ring as a player when the Saints won the SB

M
Legend
Legend
M
Tommy's father, Bill Rees, was the Browns Director of Player Personnel from 2004-2008.

1 member likes this: FATE
B
Legend
Legend
B
JC

He will be involved with the passing game. He will be teaching the route concepts. Anything to do with blocking techniques can be taught by a O line coach.

The O will be different, and blocking at the TE position will be reduced. We will have the TE in motion and lining up in different positions. We are bringing in coaches who can help implement the new O. In this O, blocking TE's are pretty much a thing of the past.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
When an offensive scheme is decided upon changes will occur.

We used Harris at fullback. I don't know what they will do with Bryant?

Blocking assignments may change with a new scheme.

The background of Rees points to another offensive voice rather than a true TE coach.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So then who would that leave as the dedicated TE coach?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I really do not know.

Rees may have the title but TE blocking with Callahan. Rees more on the pass catching side?

He has been a QB, a qb coach, and a OC.

Maybe it will be more clear when they hire the OC.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just hoping they don't get into a "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario where you have several people at one time trying to change the offense. I think having one person lead that and the others implementing that plan is the best possible outcome.

That's why when you used the phrase "another offensive voice rather than a true TE coach" it gave me cause for concern.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I predict Stefanski does not hire a pure OC. I believe he'll hire multiple sub-coordinators.

Good argument "too many cooks in the kitchen".

The offense was predictable. The more players injured the simpler the offense became. They needed more voices to accommodate/overcome.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Rees..that's who.

Again, you have to be thinking in terms of 21st century. It's more about route trees over blocking assignments.

This year Njoku blossomed. He is a 21st century player we insisted play a 20th century game. That is why he sucked a good majority of his career.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Jerrod Johnson is being interviewed for OC.

San Francisco 49ers (2017)
Bill Walsh Diversity coaching fellowship
Indianapolis Colts (2019)
Bill Walsh Diversity coaching fellowship
Indianapolis Colts (2020–2021)
Offensive quality control coach
Minnesota Vikings (2022)
Assistant quarterbacks coach
Houston Texans (2023–present)
Quarterbacks coach

He has received praise for the development of Stroud. KS got a first hand look at how they attacked our defense.

Usually OC's come ready made with a scheme. Greg Roman vs. Todd Monken.

Johnson is a young guy. Hard to say what type of scheme he would bring. KS is an offensive guy. Stump Mitchell was quoted saying KS is a great play caller.

I think KS is looking for fresh ideas. Obviously he wants to unlock DW. He wants to change some of his passing concepts. It is important that DW uses his strengths.

He is not a run first guy. He wants to throw it. His mobility is an advantage. It is about the route trees and timing. I have always liked what Reid does on offense.

I think we can run something like that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Rees..that's who.

Again, you have to be thinking in terms of 21st century. It's more about route trees over blocking assignments.

This year Njoku blossomed. He is a 21st century player we insisted play a 20th century game. That is why he sucked a good majority of his career.

Actually that is more my line of thinking. I think they hired a TE coach to be the TE coach. That's why I questioned the notion that they hired him more as ""another offensive voice rather than a true TE coach" which was what Bone had posted.

I have also stated I think the turnover in the O coaching is to transform this O to better suite watson's skill set. What you refer to as a 21st century offense. We're actually on the exact same page here.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
We agree. It is more about helping transform the O over simply working with TE's. You still need a coach in the room. There are still responsibilities specific to the position, thus why you don't simply bunch the TE's and WR's in to the same room.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Rees has never played or coached TE's.

What can he tell a TE who has played the position in college and the NFL?

He can educate himself about the nuances of the position. Sure he can do that. I find it rather unusual. Duce Staley was just hired as the running backs coach. He has played the position at the NFL level and coached the position at the NFL level.

When he coaches the running backs. He has a direct frame of reference.

Rees?

I am not saying Rees does not have value. I am unfamiliar with the guy other than his resume. Maybe he has valuable ideas about new concepts for TE's.

It just seems unusual to me .

P
Legend
Legend
P
He has experience as an OC. So you're telling me that doesn't make him qualified to be a position coach?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I am not telling you anything.

What I wrote is what I feel. I think it is unusual for a position coach to have never played or coached the position to be hired to do that.

OC is not a position coach. His resume spells out his experience.

You don't hire a hitting coach as a pitching coach just because they are both baseball coaches.

Position coaches coach players on all the nuances of the position. Look at the staffs of NFL coaches who coach position groups.

Duce Stanley as I pointed out is a typical example of a position coach. Maybe at some point Stanley could go on to be a OC.

P
Legend
Legend
P
OC is position you rise up to when your talent level is evaluated to be beyond a position coach. So if anything Rees is overqualified to be a position coach.

You were obviously telling us something....

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

He can educate himself about the nuances of the position. Sure he can do that. I find it rather unusual. Duce Staley was just hired as the running backs coach. He has played the position at the NFL level and coached the position at the NFL level.

When he coaches the running backs. He has a direct frame of reference.

Rees?

I am not saying Rees does not have value. I am unfamiliar with the guy other than his resume. Maybe he has valuable ideas about new concepts for TE's.

It just seems unusual to me .

It looks like we might be trying to get more explosive plays out of the TEs. That would seem to fit with Njoku's skill set. Njoku averaged 10.9 yards per reception last season. (Bryant 6.2, Akins 8.8 y/r.) Rees' TEs at Alabama averaged 16.4 (Sophomore Amari Niblack) and 17 (Junior/1st year Maryland transfer CJ Cippre, who averaged 10.5 y/r at MD) yards per reception.

(numbers from sports-reference.com/pro-football-reference.com)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Personally I don't have a problem with hire. It just seemed unusual.

He may be a great hire. It could also be part of a new strategy on offense.

No matter who the new hires are if the team improves I am all for it.

1 member likes this: Bull_Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, I'm not sure how it will work out. I do see potential reasons for going this direction. I wouldn't be surprised if we try to go more pass heavy with the uncertainty around Chubb (and just NFL rules being what they are.) If we are looking for a more explosive passing game, getting a QB's perspective in the TE room could be beneficial. Hopefully it leads to the next step in Njoku's evolution.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Tommy Rees as TE Coach

Link Copied to Clipboard