Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/19/24 02:49 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully, it works out like Cooper.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm hoping Cooper's guidance can take Jeudy to another level. I think he was drafted to be a #1 WR and he has the talent to be a #1 WR but he has performed as a #2 WR and that will be great for now, but this could easily be Cooper's last year with the Browns. Hopefully not but contract details will need worked out next off season and we will need Jeudy ready to be a #1 WR if that happens, or the Browns could be looking for a #1 WR next off season. I am excited about Cooper, Njoku, and Jeudy all running routes this season. Should be fun to watch.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think the odds are pretty high that this will be Coop's last season in Cleveland.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I would have waited a bit.

I don't think any harm would have been done if they waited till after camp.

Get to know this guy. Find out what kind of player and teammate he really is before extending him.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

As I tend to say, I'm interested to see the contract breakdown on this deal when it comes out. On the surface, this is a risk that tends to promote the reaction of "Why so soon?". It certainly did with me after initially seeing this news. It's a risk because Jeudy doesn't have a consistent track record of producing and has been a disgruntled player. Clearly Berry is willing to take that risk and I'm guessing might have put more "blame" for a lack of a better word on the situation in Denver and poor to average at best QB play from Drew Lock, Teddy Bridgewater, and Russell Wilson. I think another factor is players like Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Ja'Marr Chase, etc. have yet to ink deals and many expect those deals to be mega ones. If Jeudy has a good 2024 season and we want to keep him, both the franchise tag will go up as well as the overall WR market as a result of those deals. Plus, the cap most likely will rise again and with that the expectation of larger deals overall. Here....the buy low mindset could be in play assuming those WRs (and others) could get massive contract extensions.

Also, Jeudy is only 24... 25 when the season begins. He's young, has played both in the slot and outside, can be a deep threat (has 10 catches of 40-plus yards since 2022, making him one of five in the NFL w/ double digit catches of that distance- according to a news article, maybe Akron Beacon Journal?), and has been noted as a really good route runner. I'm going to bet his deal (Avg. per year) might align with #2 WR money, but we'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
he is 99 percent sure that Jeudy’s $12.9 million the Browns are set to pay him in 2024 is rounded into that $41 million guaranteed figure.

I've seen this elsewhere but nothing was confirmed. Clearly, would make the deal far more palatable if its just an additional $28MM guaranteed for the three added years along with the 2024 contract already assumed.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That does make more sense. I too was surprised when I first heard we had given him a new contract. I'll leave it at Andrew Berry knows what he's doing. I have much respect for him and his ability as our GM.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 03/20/24 11:21 AM.
Legend
Legend
I feel like Berry's history here with FAs, especially when there is an evident 'change of scenery' factor rather than questionable talent, is to put the ball firmly in the player's court. He's not afraid to do that with contract/money.

I think he values the possible upside of saying "we believe in you, we trust in your talent, we'll give you all the support you need, here's the money... now all you have to do is put your head down and do the work".

I think he realizes the real downside is if a player doesn't work out, not that it cost a few million more to watch the player not work out. The risk/reward dictates that it is much more favorable to show these personalities that you are in their corner 100%. Let them reassess themselves, and nothing else, and see if they're willing to give 100% for what may possibly be their last real chance to make a name for themselves.

Just my usual over-analysis. laugh

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
I am with you.

I have not always agreed with AB. I questioned some of his draft picks. I was not in favor of drafting Cade York.

I thought he made mistakes in the DL and back-up qb's. But I like that he learns and corrects mistakes.

AB is a good GM and getting better. He is a master in managing the cap and constructing contracts.

GM's have lots of responsibilities but number one is evaluating talent. That is the most important job in the NFL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

GM's have lots of responsibilities but number one is evaluating talent. That is the most important job in the NFL.

Talent evaluation is a very important part of the job. I think the most important part of the job is being cognizant of the fact that you have to be aware of all the parts of the job. In some ways, I think talent evaluation is over valued. Someone could have the most talent, while also being a horrible human being and killing team chemistry (No, this isn't aimed at Watson LOL. Was actually thinking more John Dorsey, though that might not be entirely fair.) Or just not be a great fit. Or just not provide as much value as a less talented player.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
All GM's make mistakes. AB is no different, but I have more faith in him than anyone we've had at that position in the 56 years I've been a Browns fan. He's put together a very talented roster and if DW can play the way he did those few games last year and stay healthy we may really have a legit SB contender.

Legend
Legend
I don't believe that talent evaluation can be over rated.

It is the essence of building the roster. Talent evaluation also includes work ethic, character, good teammate etc.

When you draft or sign free agents part of the evaluation is "does this guy fit into our locker room"?

AB and KS know the importance of that.

Legend
Legend
It's a gamble IMO - Jeudy hasn't been really productive. We're banking on his poor QB play and lack of good coaching might be the reason

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
While I tend to agree with you a lot of that can be analyzed by the film breakdown. Also it has to do with how you plan to use him compared to how his former team was using him. When considering the player you have to be able to use him to accentuate what he does best. As an example of that one need just look at JOK before Schwartz and after Schwartz. They may be banking on him improving but I'm pretty sure they've found just cause with which to do that. That doesn't mean they will turn out to be correct.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
I don't believe that talent evaluation can be over rated.

It is the essence of building the roster. Talent evaluation also includes work ethic, character, good teammate etc.

When you draft or sign free agents part of the evaluation is "does this guy fit into our locker room"?

AB and KS know the importance of that.

Right, but the KS part of that is important. A GM has to be able to work with other people. Here's a great player that you don't want and have no idea how to use can be a waste. He can be talented, good work ethic, character, good teammate and still not work out. If the player doesn't fit with the other pieces of the "shared vision" it can end poorly.

Basically, good talent evaluation is definitely a requirement to do the job well. Yet, it can't be the only job requirement. Some people (I'm not saying you) seem to treat it that way. That's what I mean by over rating it. I.e, a great scout doesn't necessarily make a great GM. The GM has to wear more hats.

Fiercely Independent.
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Good luck with this.

There's no doubt that some of Jeudy's problems have been the result of subpar QB play and changes in the offensive coordinators. And he did have a 5-game hot-streak in 2022 that showed some serious potential. Maturity has also been an issue and he's still very young, so there's certainly a possibility that this improves.

On the downside: Not great hands. A lot of drops. Bad ones (and it's still a problem); little to no interest in blocking downfield; easily frustrated and has been known to give up on routes; footwork can give DBs fits, but it often isn't completed until QB has already gone through his progression. Never amounted to any kind of red-zone threat. Can get really lazy on simple moves like foot drags near the sidelines. And he's definitely a diva.

If Jeudy matures and works on his shortcomings, this could be a fabulous steal for you guys. If not, that's a whole lot of guaranteed money (and coming out of the Russell Wilson debacle, Broncos fans can assure you that hurts.)

Legend
Legend
Given that is the buzz on him.

Not quite sure why the extension was given so quickly.

Maybe they should have gone through OTA's and camp. See how he was responding.

B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

We just traded away 2 picks for the guy. I don't think we would do that with the intent on this being a 1 year rental. I don't know the specifics of the deal but I would assume it will be fairly easy to get out of after year 2.

I am not surprised we worked out the extension. As soon as we traded for him I expected this move. I would have been disappointed had we not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Obviously, our FO must see something in him to trade for him and give an extension. We got him for 2 late round picks, so it didn't cost much. We did the same with Amari and it worked out great. I'll keep the faith in AB.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Broncosfan2
Good luck with this.

There's no doubt that some of Jeudy's problems have been the result of subpar QB play and changes in the offensive coordinators. And he did have a 5-game hot-streak in 2022 that showed some serious potential. Maturity has also been an issue and he's still very young, so there's certainly a possibility that this improves.

On the downside: Not great hands. A lot of drops. Bad ones (and it's still a problem); little to no interest in blocking downfield; easily frustrated and has been known to give up on routes; footwork can give DBs fits, but it often isn't completed until QB has already gone through his progression. Never amounted to any kind of red-zone threat. Can get really lazy on simple moves like foot drags near the sidelines. And he's definitely a diva.

If Jeudy matures and works on his shortcomings, this could be a fabulous steal for you guys. If not, that's a whole lot of guaranteed money (and coming out of the Russell Wilson debacle, Broncos fans can assure you that hurts.)

Wasn't this, more or less, the story with Moore coming from NYJ? Not saying he lit it up out there but we haven't heard diddly in terms of locker room friction despite a whole bunch of adversity last year.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
THE DETAILS
The news of the full details broke based on a tweet from Albert Breer.

Based on what he is saying this would be the terms of the deal:
[Linked Image from s3media.247sports.com]

I would think it would look something more like this when we see it:
[Linked Image from s3media.247sports.com]

CONCLUSION
Getting a pay rise from $12,987,000 in 2024 to $18,997,000 isn't a surprise, it is quite common to give a player some of that extension upfront rather than wait for the first new year to receive any money. This is partly what encourages a player to sign the deal now.

Even if they haven't added any option bonuses into the deal then they can restructure him each year still and will have the language in the contract to allow them to do this, same with all Cleveland Browns contracts.

We usually see per-game roster bonuses in the deals say $30,000 per game to protect against injury but they haven't decided to do this. The surprising exclusion is no roster bonus in 2027, where they could keep him up until week one and then cut him.

It wouldn't surprise me that when the full deal is out on Over The Cap I end up just doing a follow-up article with some of these pieces added.

Getting Out The Deal

With the $6m guaranteed in 2026, if they decided they wanted to cut him after the 2025 season then he would be able to sign with another team. Anything he earns up to $6m would first go to pay back the Browns' guarantees due to offset language. He would have to be really bad to not get that so I would expect this to not be an issue and if someone else picks up the tab it would be $4,785,000 they are on the hook for as another team would cover the minimum.

If they decide to get out of the deal after 2025 it will have cost them $22,010,000 for the one year extension plus up to $6m more depending who pays those 2026 guarantees, this seems unlikely. I would expect this to be a two year deal worth $35,497,000 and then they have a team option for the final year of $17m.

Salary Cap Update

This makes the current Cleveland Browns current cap space $4,898,435

Over The Cap has no void years for Winston which is where the difference comes from, since this deal is yet to be officially announced, the exact terms probably aren't confirmed, I am just basing my prediction on what they have done in the past. I always like to compare to them as they do such a great job and it is where I rely on for all my key salary cap information information.
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...ns-extension-contract-229266123/#2393739

--------------

Still nothing official on the annual breakdown.

Tackles are tackles.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
The kid had maturity problems I guess. What could be the best fix for that? Teaming him up with the player he admires the most, who is a true professional.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree. I believe we got ourselves a very good player for little compensation. Much like Andrew Berry did with AC. Great move!

Legend
Legend
I watched him closely when I lived in Denver. He was their best receiver. He has a special gift getting into open space with quick acceleration. Good hands. Down side, injury prone. He missed some games.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns and Jerry Jeudy Reach 3-Year Extension

Link Copied to Clipboard