Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Dickey Betts, Allman Brothers Band member, dies in Osprey, Florida at 80: report

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Dickey Betts, the singer and guitarist of the Allman Brothers Band, died Thursday at the age of 80, according to the Rolling Stone.

“It is with profound sadness and heavy hearts that the Betts family announce the peaceful passing of Forrest Richard ‘Dickey’ Betts (December 12, 1943 – April 18, 2024) at the age of 80 years old,” Betts’ family announced in a statement to Rolling Stone.

“The legendary performer, songwriter, bandleader, and family patriarch was at his home in Osprey, Florida, surrounded by his family. Dickey was larger-than-life, and his loss will be felt worldwide. At this difficult time, the family asks for prayers and respect for their privacy in the coming days. More information will be forthcoming at the appropriate time.”

Betts, a Florida native born in West Palm Beach, joined the newly formed Allman Brothers Band in 1969 and became the bands de facto lead guitarist and frontman following the death of Duane Allman in 1971.

The band would break up and regroup multiple times throughout the late 70’s and the 80’s, leading to a career rebirth in the 90’s before Betts parted ways with the Allmans one last time in 2000.

Betts tried kickstarting his own career throughout the 2000’s before finally retiring in 2014. Betts would briefly return to the road in 2018, performing with his son before he suffered a mild stroke in August of that year.

https://www.wfla.com/entertainment-news/dickey-betts-allman-brothers-band-member-dies-at-80/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Great guitarist. RIP. Next time I see my buddy Paul who played sax with them in late 70’s. We’ll raise a toast to him.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Legend. He lives on forever through the music he brought into the world.
Walk on to your next incarnation ramblin man.
RIP.

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
"Les Brers in A Minor"

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
When they first hit the scene damn they were so good.

Great sound, terrific musicians, bitching vocals.

They created some fine music.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Was never a big fan of that band, but have much respect for them, and I know Betts is well thought-of amongst guitar guys. Love that gold top Les Paul!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Being only in my early 50’s I missed the chance of seeing Duane. That said, I saw them a few times during the Warren Haynes years. On guitar, he filled Duane’s shoes well. His voice also lended itself to the overall sound. He really could have been a founding member and it’d have made sense. Allen Woody played bass for them in those years. Man that dude could walk a fret board. Such a stud player. What I remember from those nights in the early to mid 90’s is that they were so so tight. Just a wall of southern sound pinning you to your seat. Add a little fungus into your evening and they could melt you.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
When My Hunny & I chose to adopt a single mailing address, there was a blending of 12" LP's. Eclectic, to say the least. Certainly diverse. wink

"Highway Call" was in heavy rotation for quite some time. Stereo time was shared time.
He was Richard on that album.

Near/around my HS graduation year, "Jessica" became this bigass, mega-crossover hit. It was charting in multiple markets at the same time. Speaking only for 'Kid Clemmy,' I loved that an instrumental was chewing up the charts. For about 4 months after hearing this tune drop, I thought the the lead guitar solo was overdubbed to feature the parallel 3rds in the lead voice. Then, I saw Betts on late night Sat TV ("Midnight Special?' Don Kirshner's Rock Concert?" Can't remember- too long ago). I saw this one dude nail that melody/head, and lost my young, impressionable mind.

Thank you, Mr. Betts.
It's been a privilege to hear your music.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
He really could have been a founding member and it’d have made sense.

It would have made sense if he wasn't 9 years old in 1969. naughtydevil

Both Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks were brought to may attention from their time playing with the Allman Brothers. I've listened to Government Mule since they first started as well as the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Dickey Betts, Allman Brothers Band member, dies in Osprey, Florida at 80: report

Link Copied to Clipboard