Print Thread
#208139 01/01/08 08:28 PM
C
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
C
If in wrong forum please move.

Let's play pretend for a few moments here shall we? I present the following scenario which will not happen, but it’s still fun to day dream.

The Dolphins become smitten with D.A. or desperate enough for B.Q. to trade for him (B.Q.) or they offer D.A. a contract large enough for us to end up with the #1 pick overall. Who do you take or do you trade out?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We would never end up with the number 1 pick. If Miami was going to go after a restricted FA like Anderson they would trade down first (possibly multiple times) to acquire additional picks before they made an offer. That way the recoup some picks. Personally i would let Anderson go.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Trade out...no question.

Even if value-wise we don't get a good deal, I wanna trade out for the sake of not paying $35 million guaranteed.

Plus extra picks will allow us to put the pieces in place.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trade out without much thought.

We know Dallas wants McFadden. They scratched our back last year, we scratch theirs this season. I'd gladly take Dallas' two #1's and their #2 to move off the pick.

Four picks in the first two rounds would be INCREDIBLE. Stockpile some defensive talent in the first 2 rounds and possibly look for a young RB as well.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

I would trade out if I could, a couple of times if possible.

If a trade couldn't be worked out I take Chris Long, DE from Virginia.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would trade out if I could, a couple of times if possible.

If a trade couldn't be worked out I take Chris Long, DE from Virginia.

Yes! Since George Selvie (the USF homerism in me) isn't likely coming out this year, Chris Long seems like a logical choice, he's big (which fits the 3-4) and he can rush the passer. Perfect guy to be opposite Wimbley...

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
If we get the first pick I'd smile, take Glenn Dorsey, say thank you, and walk away.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If we have the number one pick and we don't trade out I'm taking either McFadden or the DT from LSU Dorsey

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Legend
Legend
I trade down easily!!!

That way i can stack that defensive line with the extra GOOD picks we get from the deal!!

We don't really need that much more 1st round talent on this team IMO anyway... Some may say we do on the d-line, but with the right people... you can have a excellent front 3 with 2nd, 3rd, and day 2 picks..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IF that would ever happen, you ship out DA.

Then you draft Dorsey so we now have 3 Dorsey's on the team, or Chris Long or 3rd choice Darren McFadden. . . . . .

. . . . .Then I crap my pants.

From reading up on Long, he sounds to be a good fit in a 3-4.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well most likely I would trade out to Dally for their 2 #1s and their second.

People will think I am crazy for saying this but if we drafted at #1 overall I would draft Jake Long from Michigan. Can you imagine having him at RT??

Thomas, Steiny, Frayley, Tucker, Long WOW!!!!!

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

As an OLB?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Chris Long is a DE in a 3-4; he is 6-4, 284. Virginia plays the 3-4 and he is a DE there, as he would be here, if this hypothetical were to take place.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You know, I don't know a whole lot about the guy. I just started reading up the last couple days on draft prospects. Never saw him play. Had a chance today but didn't see the game.

I do know he is the son of Howie Long. He's 6'4" and 280lbs. Usually you can put some weight on and beef up if needed. I read that he'd fit in nicely in a 3-4, but didn't specifically say at OLB. 280lbs. is pretty big coming out of college to play OLB seems like, but typically DL in our system are bigger bodies, close to that 300lb. mark.

Legend
Legend
He could drop 10 lbs and go to OLB if he's athletic enough.

Just look at every starting LB in New England... they were all college DE's and are BIG by LB standards.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

True. However, he knows the 3-4 as a DE (and probably a little bit of the OLB) and we need an defensive end, OLB would not be his best fit for us or him, imo. ‡!--color-->

Legend
Legend
we'd need to send him through the chow line for seconds & thirds at ever meal every day for a while to bulk him up.... 284 is a little light in the pants for a 3-4 DLineman, IMO.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

It's on the 'low-end' of the meter. However I think once he gets into the NFL and the fulltime work regimen, diet and weight training, etc, that he will build up to the 295 to maybe just over 300 and still maintain his quickness and endurance levels.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Who do you take or do you trade out?

Dorsey in a heartbeat. I think he will be a sure fire pick. We need studs on the D line. He is a stud.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #208158 01/02/08 03:11 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I know it's all a hypothetical, but there is absolutely no chance that we are ending up with the first pick. DA just doesn't have that kind of value. Even if we did, we aren't getting two firsts and a second-- especially all in the '07 draft. Think about how often those kind of trades happen-- very rarely. GM's in this league aren't dumb.. there's just no reason to make that kind of investment, plus ~35m guaranteed... for one player.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

As an OLB?

Competely went over my head, but Virginia plays in a 3-4, so no, he'd be a DE. For some reason at 6:30 in the morning when getting up and peeing I thought of that.

W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Since this is pretend, I say we keep both DA & BQ. Parcells like an experienced starting QB (ie. Bledsoe), so we trade him Ken Dorsey for the #1 pick! Go Brownies!!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
Legend
Legend
Your right, it's not going to happen but if by some stretch of luck it did,,

I'd make the deal with Miami for DA..

Take the first pick,, and look seriously at McFadden (did I spell that right) or trade with Dallas,,, for thier two 1st rounders and maybe more... Yeah baby,..,, way to fix the D in a hurry LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

dorsey. unless we can trade down and still get dorsey or mcfadden AND another pick

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Simple, I pick up Haynesworth in FA, then I draft Chris Long, then I buy my Super Bowl tickets...

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
It would be very hard to pass up on McFadden.

With our OL...assembly of Weapons, what an offense.

Defense, I think a lot will be taken care of via FA.
Haynesworth, Canty (did Dallas sign him...probably high tender then forget about it), William Joseph.

Of course we could trade down and accumulate several picks. But we are at the stage of our build up that we don't need Quantity but we need Quality.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #208165 01/02/08 11:08 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But we are at the stage of our build up that we don't need Quantity but we need Quality.

I agree, we need one or two big time playmakers, not a bunch of above average warm bodies like in years past....

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To me it all depends on who we get in free agency. If we get guys like Lance Briggs and Albert Haynesworth then I would take a serious look at McFadden. Personally, though, I like the idea of trading down and getting Chris Long/Frank Okam. If we were able to get two first rounders then I would still look at Chris Long/Frank Okam, but I would also take a very serious look at James Laurinaitis if we do not get Briggs or Dansby. And if we don't get Suggs, I would take a look at the best pass rusher available, if it is Gholston or someone else.

C
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
C
I am big on McFadden, but I watched Long chew up and spit out the TT o line on T.V. yesterday. I would still lean ever so slightly towards McFadden depending on what we do in F.A. but Long would be my second choice.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Miami will be keeping or trading for more picks........but, since you said this for fun......

Depending on FA, which I expect to land some D-Line help, I'd go with McFadden. I don't expect Lewis to be anything after next year....and to have Lewis the #1 and McFadden the #1 in training would be awesome!

If no D-Line help in FA, you pick Dorsey and smile.

Or get the two firsts from Dallas and pick D-Line and corner. And sign Michael Turner.

One things for sure, I'm trading DA if I'm Savage.

Wow, even though we don't have a first round pick it looks like we'll have a lot to talk about until April.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Trade down a couple od slots and take McFadden. No questions asked.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who do you take?

Link Copied to Clipboard