Print Thread
S
Shark Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
S
New to the sport.

Have a boat and been fishing Lake Erie, but very difficult to adjust to the big pond fishing techniques. Grew up fishing small ponds and streams (large mouth bass), but it does not completely translate to Lake Erie fishing.

Looking to catch my first Walleye and simply seeking any successful tips people have used in the past. We typically fish the Western Basin area/Islands. Been reading up on many different suggestions, but its always great to hear first hand experience/success.

Found plenty of sheephead, catfish and perch, but walleye have been difficult to come by.

Any help out there? It's apperciated.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Hi Shark.... Been chasing eyes for yrs.. I usually fish from Kelly's east. I really don't like trolling as i prefer a more relaxed fishing. I drift fish...Either bottom bouncers or erie dearies...

Once we catch a fish we throw out a marker bouy and drift back over that same spot. If we pick up another we anchor and cast. Hope this helps alittle...

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I can't give you any help, but clay will be along, probably tomorrow morning, and he'll probably be able give some good advice.

O
OSU Offline
All Pro
All Pro
O
Shark I've always had more luck with catching walleys in deeper water. I also move my spot every 15-20 minutes or so if I'm not getting any hits regardless what I'm fishing for. Sorry I don't have more advice. Here's a link that might help you,I think it's so-so.

http://www.walleyefishingsecrets.com/

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Some of the best eating around if done right, I too mostly fish for Smallmouth when on lake Erie, those little bronze backs hit like truck at times, but have taken my share of eyes from Erie, seems like most of the Walleye we end up catching are during Bass tournaments. We seem to find most of our eyes around alot of the flats on Erie, you dont have to troll, but can drift over the tops of them, if your drifting steady to fast we use a 1/2 to 5/8 lead jig with a white 3 1/2 - 4 inch tube, make sure these are hitting the bottom if your not feeling them bounce off the bottom your not gonna catch anything, well maybe a big old sheephead...if there is little wnd and you drifting slow you can vertical jig with the same set up or like other say use a erie deerie with a worm or a leach attached. and just slowly bounce off the bottom. Walleye seem to move around alot this time of year in search for food, so if you find yourself fishing alone in a certain area and you see other boats trolling around anohter odds are there on fish, it isnt wrong to venture around others fishing, just make sure to give them plenty of space.

My best advice is if ya wanna catch Walleye, go Smallmouth fishing

Good luck and for more adivce check out ohiogamefishing.com i'm fishindawg on there, you'll be able to get dialy updates on where the walleye are from guys who fish everyday on the lake,

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Only lure I ever fish on Erie is the Erie Deerie...Tip it with a big fat juicy night crawler leaving several inches dangling...

This is what we do...If 3 people fishing...Each takes a Deerie counted down and seperated by 5 feet...Say you're in 30 feet of water...One counts down to 15 feet...One to 20...One to 25...Whoever gets the 1st hit is what ALL of u count down to...

An Erie Deerie countdown is 1 foot per one thousand one...

Go Browns!!!
S
Shark Offline OP
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
S
Thanks for all the replies. All this talk wants me to ditch work and try these techniques on the lake!

nordawg

As you mentioned, I too prefer drifting, and with gas prices as they are today, we do not have much of a choice.

In terms of using bottom bouncers or erie dearies, do you provide any additional action to the lure, such as jigging?

Question on the marker buoys, and I hope this is not a stupid question, but what keeps the marker in place and not drifting as your boat does?

OSU

Thanks for the link. Deep water is what I've been told as well. Have you found any success with a particular lure?

ClayM57

Alot of great information. I have checked out ohiogamefishing.com as another member recommended it as well. It looks very informative.

Do you lindy-rig your setup when using a jig? In other words, do you put on the sinker and then provide a snell knot configuration? If so, how much of a snell do you use...36", 48"...?

Regarding your theory on fishing near other boats...I certainly have picked up on that idea.

Dawg in Dayton

Thanks again for the tip. Question regarding your use of the erie deerie....do you simply drop the lure in the water and do your count or do you cast? Do you drift or troll w/ the lure? Do you jig or provide any action on the lure?

Sorry for all the questions...just eager to learn.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Do you lindy-rig your setup when using a jig? In other words, do you put on the sinker and then provide a snell knot configuration? If so, how much of a snell do you use...36", 48"...?

Nope, The Walleye's we catch are mostly caught bye mistake, fishing for smallmouth I love smallmouth fishing, to me nothing compares to a smallmouth, so when we get out on the lake it's smallies....all we do is directly tie a tube with a 1/2 ounce weight inside the tube and bounce them off the bottom, We normally use green with gold flakes tubes for smallies, but have used white tubes and have caught more walleyes that way, just drifting and dragging the tube along the bottom, We do try to catch a few Walleye & Perch when we have our two - three day tournaments, we'll toss a couple in the live well and fry them up over a open fire with beer batter, ect. good stuff.

Also just a quick pointer, This time of year walleyes are you know are agresive feeders, with the summer sun hight over head the walleye will feed deep due to thier eyes and the sunlight, the best times are morning & night, but that can be said for most fish, but the suns brightness really comes into play during the summer months, driving fish deep, expecially walleyes who like cooler water temps and less light.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Question on the marker buoys, and I hope this is not a stupid question, but what keeps the marker in place and not drifting as your boat does?

the bouys i use i got at Cabelas. They look like hand weights of course their just plastic filled with air. You have about 50' of line on them with a weight on the end. You just throw it out and it unwinds itself and the weight keeps it where it lands. The 3 set i got was floresent green, yellow, orange. Certian days certain colors will be easier to see. Hope that helps.

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Any Walleye Anglers Out There?

Link Copied to Clipboard