All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Smoot: 'third corner to nobody'
Troubled Viking rejects the bench
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Two days after doctors removed the wiring from his jaw, Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot broke his two-monthlong vow of silence.

In an interview Friday, Smoot recapped his frustrating end to 2006 and his prospects for 2007, most notably whether he will return to the Vikings.

Despite disagreeing with his benching in late November, Smoot said he would welcome returning to Minnesota for a third season.

"I really don't want change," Smoot said. "I don't want to play under another defensive coordinator and learn another system.

"I want some consistency in my life."

But Smoot knows he doesn't make those decisions, which is why he is looking to get some clarity soon from the Vikings. Smoot said he and coach Brad Childress never had what he described as an "exit meeting," and he looks forward to having that discussion.

"I just want the best for Fred Smoot," Smoot said. "If the Vikings think the best for me is to get out of Dodge, then I have to move on. But a lot of teams need corners, and I know I can still start."

Smoot stressed that starting is mandatory, insisting he's a "third corner to nobody."

Asked whether he would want to move on if the team plans to start Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin, he said, "Most definitely.

"There ain't no room for Fred Smoot to be on the bench. I'm prepared to be a third corner at the end of my career, and we're not even close to that," said Smoot, who is 27 and just wrapped up his sixth NFL season. "That ain't what I'm paid to do. I'm one of the highest-paid corners in the NFL. Who wants to pay someone that much (to be a third cornerback)?"

After making $800,000 last season, Smoot's base salary in 2007 jumps to $2.7 million. But his future will be determined in March, when he is due a $2 million roster bonus. If he were released before the bonus is due, the Vikings would save $400,000 in salary cap space — the majority of his guaranteed bonuses were paid upfront — and nearly $5 million.

And since the league year starts March 2, the Vikings would have roughly one week to execute a trade, an unappealing option for interested clubs because they could negotiate their own deal when Smoot becomes a free agent.

Indications are that Smoot will not be back. He and Griffin are suited for the Tampa 2 defense, and the club will also bring back Dovonte Edwards, who missed the entire season with an elbow injury. Rookie Charles Gordon also showed some flashes toward the end of the season, and the club could add depth — albeit cheaper — via the draft and free agency.

As for a pay cut, Smoot insists that was not an option, and he isn't worried about the prospect of being traded.

"If somebody out there feels you're a good fit for them, they want you," Smoot said. "And it's not like I can go anywhere colder than here."

Smoot said there is "no question" he still can start in the NFL. In fact, he wondered why Griffin replaced him in late November.

"I couldn't believe it. It caught me off guard," Smoot said. "I felt there was no reason to take me out."

Smoot said he played well against New England, and he felt he had a solid game against San Francisco.

Then, his season unraveled. He learned after the game that his half brother, Matthew Taylor, was killed in a car accident. Then he missed the next game against Green Bay before his benching.

"I got lost in everything," Smoot said. "Things happened so fast."

But Smoot said he refused to be a distraction, which is why he declined interview requests.

"I didn't want to be controversial," Smoot said. "We had enough going on."

During an extended Christmas break after the Thursday night game at Lambeau Field against the Packers, Smoot was involved in a car accident in Jackson, Miss. Smoot said his 2007 Rolls Royce Phantom was in the blind spot of an 18-wheeler. When the truck moved into his lane, Smoot's cousin, who was driving, tried to get out of the way, but he was boxed in by a car behind him.

Driving about 75 mph, Smoot's cousin lost control, and the car slammed into a highway divider. Smoot, who was sitting in the back but not wearing a seatbelt, crashed into the back of the front seat and was knocked unconscious.

Smoot said there was no alcohol or other substances involved, a point corroborated by local authorities.

"He actually saved us," Smoot said of his cousin. "He did a great job. I feel blessed."

Asked about his string of unfortunate incidents, Smoot said, "I wonder. But I take everything slow. You can't keep a good man down."

Smoot was placed on the non-football injured reserve list, and the Vikings were not obligated to pay him his final game check of $47,000. Because he has direct deposit, Smoot said he doesn't know if he was paid or not.

"I don't know," Smoot said. "But knowing (Childress), I probably didn't. Will it upset me? No. I didn't earn it."

Smoot, though, reiterated that he would like to return, noting that he likes his teammates and the "straightforward" approach of the coaching staff.

For now, Smoot plans to go on a vacation, and he wants to return and begin his offseason program. One positive: He already is down 15 pounds because of his broken jaw.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Anyone know how he played this year and how he lost his starting job? Was he not getting it done on the field? Was it injury?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"I just want the best for Fred Smoot," Smoot said. "If the Vikings think the best for me is to get out of Dodge, then I have to move on. But a lot of teams need corners, and I know I can still start."

Smoot stressed that starting is mandatory, insisting he's a "third corner to nobody."

Attitude problem,...??? If so, no thank you.

Legend
Legend
With how we hurt at corner he'd be worth a look...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Can't argue he'd be better than what we had, but his attitude indicates too much selfishness, and that means he might cost us a lot of FA money.

Legend
Legend
A corner needs a little chip on his shoulders... but I agree with the FA money... unless we think he's going to be light's out I want to make sure we spend our money and draft picks on quality OL FAs

<><

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
i had an article to shed more light but my computer farted again.

any way it seems that the benching may be two fold.
character issues may be one reason. he was a key player on the sex boat scandle. plus it seems that he may have been playing too soft. giving too much cushion to the receivers. griffin, the guy that replaced him seems to play more aggresive and more to the coaches liking.

S
2nd String
2nd String
S
$2.7 would be a lot of money. If he gets cut and will sign for MUCH less I think he would be a good pickup.

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a true Browns fan. GO BROWNS!!!!!
1st String
1st String
The question is how much would he cost to bring in for a trade? Whats he got left? If he gets cut then Id say bring him in for a look but I wouldnt give up too much for him via trade.

[Linked Image from img507.imageshack.us]
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
The question is how much would he cost to bring in for a trade?

we would just pickup his contract which imo would be cheaper than signing him as a FA.

Whats he got left?

LOL he's only about 27 yrs old.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attitude problem,...??? If so, no thank you.

Big mouth....Big attitude.....No way RAC brings him in....

Quote:

insisting he's a "third corner to nobody."

Sounds like Fred went to the Ross Verba school of self permotion

Last edited by ClayM57; 01/20/07 10:14 PM.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Anyone know how he played this year and how he lost his starting job? Was he not getting it done on the field? Was it injury?

Smoot
14 Games 57 tackles no sacks 1 pick 4 pass def

just to compare
Holly
14 games 54tackles no sacks 5 picks 5 pass def

Bodden
9 games 26 tackles 2int 10 pass def

Legend
Legend
I wonder how many Smoot was thrown to vs Holly.

<><

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
Quote:

The question is how much would he cost to bring in for a trade?

we would just pickup his contract which imo would be cheaper than signing him as a FA.

What I meant was how much would it cost the team. I know we just pick up his contract but what will the Vikings want for him. A third? A fourth?

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I was sure that he was coming off the draft board to us....BUT NOOOOooo...we had to take Q. I still like him. Reminds me of Frank Mini.

[Linked Image from members.cox.net] AL 29 76 14 R_K
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
My first thought is no we don't want Fred Smoot. On the other hand he could probably give the Browns a few tips on how to throw a boat party.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Smoot
14 Games 57 tackles no sacks 1 pick 4 pass def

just to compare
Holly
14 games 54tackles no sacks 5 picks 5 pass def

Bodden
9 games 26 tackles 2int 10 pass def

Holly really showed a lot of progress at the end of the season... I think he could be our next bodden. I could see holly in the nickle or even the #2 if he makes big strides in camp and pre season. Baxter might walk but I'm not sure he will ever be the same that he was... even when he played for us. Smoot would cost a couple mill and holly not even a mill... pretty much with the same production. Holly hasn't said much of anything to the press and seems like he's a down to earth kinda guy. I'll take a guy that was making sandwiches and is humble then a guy that talks Quincy Morgan language.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

i had an article to shed more light but my computer farted again

Your computer is infected with the dreaded GM virus

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
As the article said, he lost his job for a number of reasons.

But a big reason was play. I live in MN, so watch the vikes every week. This guy can be good he if he wants to be, the problem is he is very inconsistent. One game he steps up and has a number of highlight plays. The next game he looks like he is hung over playing his guy with a 7 yard cushion. Not exactly a good combo on third and 5. Maybe that was a product of the Tampa2??? but doubt it.

Now, to be fair. The vikes did not have any type of real pash rush from the DEnds. If they brought LB's they could rush the throw. This often left the corners chasing the WR. Anybody watch the New England game- it wasn't pretty. And Smoot said he played well that game.

Griffin was given the start at the end of the year because he outplayed Smoot. The injuries and off the field stuff can make for a nice excuse if Smoot wants to look at it that way.

He is not worth the big money. I suspect the Vikes will let him go. Might depend on their new defensive coordinator assuming rumors of Tomlin taking over the steelers is true. And that would bring up another interesting point- do the steelers shift out of a 3-4 to a Tampa2 if Tomlin is hired?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think fred would sign here so he could party on a boat with braylon on lake erie

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
when does FA begin anyways?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JMO, but I would prefer to develope the players already on the team rather than signing high priced free agents with attitudes.
Bodden and Holly appear to be a serviceable tandem.
RAC likes Jereme Perry.
Minter's value is unknown, but may have starter ability.
If Perkins could make the 53 man roster he could also return punts.
Both McCutcheon and Baxter could return at some point, Cutch at the very least.
There could always be another draft pick or UDFA that cracks the roster next season too.
Ralph Brown , the much maligned Ralph Brown, improved over the course of the season.
No to Smoot, Clements and Samuel. I like what we have. YMMV

Last edited by Line Judge; 01/22/07 07:52 AM.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
First, I'd much rather have Samuel or Clements and second, I really don't want Smoot at all. He's a bad appple. No thanks! I'd rather draft a CB in the second or third before signing Smoot.

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Do not know what we need this for-- JMO but too little for the money. we have one good cap shot-- LB proves there are no guarantees, but this is a crucial choice for hurtful $$$$ I suspect. He has the caliber, but healthy Bodden can hang with him.
Use the Force, Phil! And may the Elf be with you! Go Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Legend
Legend
S
only if he lets me go to his boat party

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fred Smoot will never be anything more than a solid second or third corner and he needs to realize that. He can cover most receivers in the league but when it comes to the upper echelon of receivers he gets embarrased. I understand most corners can't run with the best receivers but Smoot acts like he can.

10/30/05 Panthers vs Vikings. Steve Smith destroyed Fred Smoot for 7 receptions, 157 yards, and 1 TD. I have never seen a corner be so abused by any receiver. If the Panthers weren't a run first philosophy I can't imagine how much damage he would've done.

What I'm trying to get at is that for his price tag and skill set he's not worth it.

#34175 01/23/07 01:05 PM
Legend
Legend
Who hasn't Steve Smith burned up lately?

Yes, I agree though. He's good. He's not great. I'd take him with the right priced contract. Give me Asante Samuel any day over Smoot (and I know he'll cost more).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Can't argue he'd be better than what we had, but his attitude indicates too much selfishness, and that means he might cost us a lot of FA money.

Don't you guys get it? The Browns want to build a 'character driven' team with players like Wimbley and McGinest. They are looking to avoid taking on any more Braylon Edwards types.

Smoot would NOT be a good fit for the Browns. Maybe the Bengals can sign him while the corners are serving time.

Merth #34177 01/26/07 02:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Nobody has mentioned this yet, but Fred Smoot came into the league in 2001 and started immediately. He had the luxury of starting opposite one of the greatest corners ever in Champ Bailey... Fred Smoot built his reputation during those 3 years when he ALWAYS had underneath help or deep help because Bailey was on the other side locking down the other teams #1 WR... Since Bailey left, Smoot has proven, with the Redskins and then with the Vikings, that he isn't nearly as good as he thought he was.... He may not be a #3 corner, but I don't think he's a #1 corner either....

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum fred smoot anyone?

Link Copied to Clipboard