#363799 03/10/09 08:29 PM
1488 Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Browns sign Bowens to four-year dealComment Email Print Share By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive
New Browns coach Eric Mangini continues to bring parts of his former team, the New York Jets, to his new post on Lake Erie. Cleveland signed linebacker David Bowens to a four-year deal Tuesday.

AFC North

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Bowens became the third former Jet to join the Browns. In the past several days, the Browns signed defensive tackle C.J. Mosley and cornerback Hank Poteat. Bowens, according to a source, agreed to a four-year, $7.2 million deal.

The versatile Bowens was an important role player during Mangini's time with the Jets. He started seven games over the past two years, and helped fill in as a starting inside linebacker when David Harris was hurt last season. Bowens can play inside or outside linebacker.

The Browns are Bowens' sixth NFL team. He's played with the Broncos, Packers, Redskins, Dolphins and Jets.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
Legend
Legend
While this move isn't surprising, it's surprising that Grossi hasn't already written an article about how horrible this move is.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OUR LB PROBLEMS ARE SOLVEDDDDDD!!!!!!! WOOOO

[Linked Image from fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Goooood...gooooood.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Another depth signing.

Barton and Elam...do it now.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Good solid move.....that gives us depth at ILBer. HE can fill in from end to end whick makes him versatile. I like it.

He replaces Andra and is as good.....SORRY AD fans.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
I
All Pro
All Pro
I
Its a decent signing,but you have to ask yourself how much of a upgrade a journey LB'er is.
The Browns past history from 1999 suggests that they bring in a vet LB via free agency,they ususally don't pan out.
Guys like Rudd,Holmes,and McGinest did not pan out.

Legend
Legend
Well.. There goes Beau Bell's chances of getting playing time.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Its a decent signing,but you have to ask yourself how much of a upgrade a journey LB'er is.
The Browns past history from 1999 suggests that they bring in a vet LB via free agency,they ususally don't pan out.

That's pre-ManKok.

Legend
Legend
Well, there were some concerns about his ability even after we drafted him, IIRC.

But, I hope that this coaching staff is more concerned about putting the best players on the field and not just the people they're most familiar with. If Bell is the best player available, he should get on the field. Hopefully.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Solid backup. Versatile, good ST'er.

4 years is much, but I'm sure there is a buyout option. Now it's time to get Barton.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, but more important than the number of years is the guarantee and also the contract setup.

It could be a 4 year contract with a lot of it backloaded so we can avoid it if he doesn't pan out, or something like that.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Yeah, but more important than the number of years is the guarantee and also the contract setup.

It could be a 4 year contract with a lot of it backloaded so we can avoid it if he doesn't pan out, or something like that.

Exactly. It's probably not a loaded contract, so they should be okay with cap.

On a side note, he's the best player we have picked up so far this offseason...not like that means anything.

you had a good run Hank.
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

ManKok.

Others have mentioned it so I may as well voice my opinion on the nickname.

Not only is it vulgar and immature and a sophmorish attempt at humor, this particular pairing of the two names, it is anything but flattering to the men involved or the Browns organization. Now why in the hell would a Browns fan wish to take the part of a cuckold?

I understand you're young and inpressionible but you might reconsider using a term that makes fun of your team and the butt of jokes not to mention is childish and perhaps totally the opposite of what you percieve it to be.

Just sayin'.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Barton Elam and a WR Maybe another CB and we'll be ready to hopefully get our studs in the draft....

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

On a side note, he's the best player we have picked up so far this offseason...

I dont know.....he prolly wont start....he will spot duty and play in goal line like CJ.

Royal on the other hand is VERY cabable of starting along side Rucker on most two TE sets....maybe even get some snaps on single sets.

Royal is a lot better player than you guys are giving him.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like the signing and would not worry about the contract, it´s only 1.8mil/year..he´s a standout STeamer and can fill in at ILB/OLB...he´s basically the C.Thompson--->Orr successor

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

SORRY AD fans.

Who???

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Good solid move.....that gives us depth at ILBer. HE can fill in from end to end whick makes him versatile. I like it.

He replaces Andra and is as good.....SORRY AD fans.

you think he will take over ADs spot?

[Linked Image from fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
No where did i say that he would take over ADs spot.

I said "he REPLACES AD and is as good"

More like....his spot on the roster under ILBers.

As for who will....

Beau Bell......or unless we draft Maaluaga.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Anyone at linebacker would make me happy right now. We needed more boddies there.

edit: Oh yeah, Barton seems like a lock now don't you think? That would really be nice.

Last edited by Batman; 03/10/09 11:24 PM.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I like the signing and would not worry about the contract, it´s only 1.8mil/year..he´s a standout STeamer and can fill in at ILB/OLB...he´s basically the C.Thompson--->Orr successor

Nah, he's much, much better.

Unlike those two you mentioned, who were bums, Bowens is a natural rusher.

IMHO, he's a 3rd down/passing situation rush-end. He represents insurance in case we can't find an OLB in the draft.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
But doesn't it bother you just a tad that all these so-called backups or situational players are making the Browns their 5th or 6th team? If they were decent wouldn't they have settled in by, say, their 3rd team and stayed put?

Every roster needs filler. So none of these signings are bad (check that, I'm not so sure about Hank Gotbeat, er... Poteat) but none of them make me go, "YEAH!".

Hopefully, the Draft will rev up my engines.......

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You are kinda wrong about that Impact... Rudd, with the exception of one Bone headed play,, did a decent job here.... Holmes was very solid here... Look at the positive, you were only wrong on 2 out of 3.

Will someone tell me why, if Mangini was hated and thought so little of in NY,,, Why are so many players signing here from the Jets... I thought he was hated.......

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/11/09 07:55 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IMHO, he's a 3rd down/passing situation rush-end. He represents insurance in case we can't find an OLB in the draft.
Or that the one that is drafted needs a bit of time to mature..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well.. There goes Beau Bell's chances of getting playing time.

If Beau Bell can't find a way to get playing time because we signed some depth/roll players from the Jets, then it's not because of those players, it would be because Bell just isn't that good. Good players find a way to get on the field.

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Will someone tell me why, if Mangini was hated and thought so little of in NY,,, Why are so many players signing here from the Jets... I thought he was hated.......

ohhh man-- did you have to feed the fire!!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Barton seems like a lock now don't you think? That would really be nice.

my thoughts exactly. I thought it was Barton that everyone was comparing to DA, saying that he was the step up. Bowens and DA seem like different kinds of players- with Bowens having the potential to go outside. I expect this signing to be announced soon.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

ManKok.

Others have mentioned it so I may as well voice my opinion on the nickname.

Not only is it vulgar and immature and a sophmorish attempt at humor, this particular pairing of the two names, it is anything but flattering to the men involved or the Browns organization. Now why in the hell would a Browns fan wish to take the part of a cuckold?

thanks ref.
I feel the same way about "Jeannie" as well- not that its vulgar, but it seems negative and belittling.

Legend
Legend
Ref, I understand your point.. but am I the only one that sees "ManKok" and reads it "Man-Coke"? as opposed to the more vulgar pronunciation...

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes......

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No you're not.I'm not nearly as sharp as I used to be,so it took awhile for me to figure out what all the fuss was about.
If they don't start winning football games,Mankok and Jeannie will end up being some of the nicer names they'll be called.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ref, I understand your point.. but am I the only one that sees "ManKok" and reads it "Man-Coke"? as opposed to the more vulgar pronunciation...

Yes, but I'm a 23 year old guy and immature enough to refer to them the other way. Do I want some sort of restraint of using it on the board, definitely because I don't want to see that word in every post.

Do I use it myself with my friends and sometimes on the board, definitely. It's just too funny,

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

But doesn't it bother you just a tad that all these so-called backups or situational players are making the Browns their 5th or 6th team? If they were decent wouldn't they have settled in by, say, their 3rd team and stayed put?

Not at all, because different teams have different needs at different times.

I'll use Bowens as my example. By the 4th year in the league, he was allready on his 4th team. In his 3rd year, he had 3.5 sacks for the Packers as a situational guy. What did that get him? He didn't play a down the next year in the NFL. *L* He then settled in with the Fish for several years as a special teamer and situational rusher. Eventually, salary cap issues and a change in management sent him packing. The Jets had a need for a special teamer with some rush ability. He was signed and did a solid job in the role he was asked to do. Now they are going in a different direction, so they let him walk. We have a need, so we've signed him.

If we were talking about a starter, yeah, I'd say this isn't a guy we need, but we're talking about a special teamer and someone who can come in on passing downs and rush the QB. In that role, a part-time/situational role, he's a solid gamble.

Players don't stay put in this league. Even the super stars move on eventually. Situational guys never stay on one team, so this move doesn't bother me at all.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
E
Legend
Legend
E
" Situational guys never stay on one team, so this move doesn't bother me at all."

Especially one who seems to have no problems getting hired. Players who are just 'BAD" are no longer in this league.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

" Situational guys never stay on one team, so this move doesn't bother me at all."

Especially one who seems to have no problems getting hired. Players who are just 'BAD" are no longer in this league.

JMHO

Ralph Brown
Terry Cousins

These are two guys who are constantly brought up as horrible on here. I'm not saying you have said anything like this.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Bowens.

Link Copied to Clipboard