Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Legend
Legend
E
"That sounds funny coming from you EO..LOL Agree with most everything else."

Oh without a doubt I'm a Homer...so when they are with the Brown's I say "SERVICEABLE" and when they leave I say "SUCK" if you can read me then you can understand what I mean with certain words describing players...lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Kokinis is looking for Maulers. Dbrick is a less aggressive version of Kevin Shaffer.

I read where the Browns were looking at any o-lineman at the senior Vowl practices that can run the zone block scheme. Like what Denver runs. Are maulers used in the zone blocking scheme? I guess I shouldnt read too much into it because the scouts were released soon after the Senior Bowl. Maybe Mangini was pulling a Butch Davis to make other teams think they are looking in a differant direction in the draft. Which puzzles me because teams should be spending time and resources trying to improve their own team. Not try to figure out who other teams want.

I was never a big Shaffer fan. I liked the signing at first because it showed that Savage was addressing the o-line and at the time Schaffer was young and had starting experiance. But since he has been in Cleveland, he didnt show me much so its no big loss. But they dont have much to replace him with either. Since the center nad RG needed depth, not to mention being upgraded. Now they dont even have a starting RT, let alone depth. Now they need more o-line to go along with the other needs such as a Nickle back; one or two safeties, another RB, ILB; OLBs; WR depth; D-line depth; a young 3rd string QB wouldnt hurt. They already needed help at almost every position and now they are trading and releasing starters on a roster that already didnt have players on the backend of the 53 man roster.

I hope they know what they are doing because I want to see a winning product on the field, but it looks like they are trying to start another 3-5 year plan

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If we are planning to run a zone scheme, then Shaff should fit in. You need smaller, quick, smart Offensive lineman. It wont matter until we get decent center and a RG. That hole on the OL is just to easy for teams to exploit.

Cutting Shaff was stupid, it creates dead cap space, the guy could still play at a decent level, and maybe could have played inside. If you don't gain anything from cutting a player, keep him. If we are going to have dead space, use it on a dead player like Donte Stallweenieworthless.

and IMO.....

No such thing as a 3-5 year plan, thats just the amount of time a regime has to get it right. Truly good football people only need an offseason or two. Look at Parcells and Dimitroff...great football guys.

They hired the right coaches, improved on what the team had...and made the right draft picks who produced right away. The used all available resources, not just the draft or just FA. They improved the talent right away, and kept what talent was already there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Truly good football people only need an offseason or two. Look at Parcells and Dimitroff...great football guys.

Just a word of caution ... wait until we see whether or not they can sustain their success before you proclaim them the be-all, end-all example of what should be.
Don't forget, just two seasons ago we made one helluva turnaround and the football world was proclaiming the genius of Phil Savage... my, how the fickle fan world changes in the span of a single season

Every single year there is a zero-to-hero team that completely falls on its face the following season. You haven't accomplished squat as far as turning your team around until you can sustain that success across more than one season.

When you have a bunch of losing seasons behind you and suddenly have a great one, the only thing you've accomplished is an abberration - until you back it up with another great one.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Quote:

If we're talking about trimming the fat, how come nothing has been about Corey Williams? Guy was invisible

While I've no idea what the letters in your nickname means, they do look familiar to me. Were you on one of the other boards? It just seems familiar

Regarding Williams, the guy played with one shoulder last year. I don't know if he's going to be worth what we gave up to get him, but I do know that he wasn't able to be the same guy he'd been the past couple of years. Basically, he has a free pass, but that shoulder has been fixed, so he must produce.

Wow, good eye! Yes, I was on the older boards. I was primarily a lurker there and have been one here. Actually speaking I mainly just read your posts because they seem the most informed. I'd prefer a team insider, but Toad's the next best thing Forums have too much text, I need some way to filter it out.

On a side note, it's amazing how useful it is to have a team insider post on internet forums. I wish the Browns had one. The Cavs have an *excellent* poster on RealCavsFans.com.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jesus, Toad, you got your Mother to sign up........

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm not judging them either way, I'm simply stating that if they are the real deal, we'll see results pretty soon. I don't like the direction that they seem to be headed in, which direction that is, I can't really say.

One thing is for sure, if they don't upgrade the talent, nothing will change. To this point, they have downgraded by losing some talent and leadership, and ticked off our best player.

Phil Savage knew how to build a team. Unfortunately he was an idiot, and made stupid comments and decisions that was a PR nightmare. And he was stuck with moron HC that he did not pick himself. He never saw eye to eye with RAC, the two could not work together at all.

Phil started here with nothing, and started building the offense first, and he did have talent on that side, and even got a young QB with some promise. Had Phil stayed a few more years, im confident out overall talent would have increased, he would have committed to Quinn long term. This offseason he would have got a HC he could have worked with, and then built up the defense.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
If you don't know what direction they're headed, how can you not like it?

How was Savage great at building a team? He acquired some good talent, but he also misfired quite alot, too. His second day pick were pretty bad overall. He also didn't acqure talent to fit the scheme and even admitted such.

Crennel was a moron? How may "morons" do you know that are coaches wearing five Super Bowl rings. I could say the exact opposite that Crennel was handcuffed to a powermonger that had no idea how to acquire talent for a system. It's pretty unrealistic to claim that Romeo was a moron and Savage a genius. Lerner certainly didn't agree with you and he knew everything that was going on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns may feel that the OL pay structure has been out of whack since the they signed Bentley/Shaffer/Steiny and drafted Thomas. Adding Steinback really put it over the top.
The share for the OL, assuming a continuation of the cap, was going to eventually become unsustainable anyway. And Shaffer was the most eggregiously overpayed.
Just a casual thought...I don't know how much dead money is on the books..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Problem with that logic Attack (and I agree releases were going to have to come), is that there was absolutly NO reason to do it this year. We have enough cap space to pay KS (and you know I thought he was a putz), and more importantly we had enough needs already that we didn't need to create a new one for the sake of saving a million bucks on a roster bonus.........that we weren't in need of the space.

Just a dumb move imo............oh did you see who we signed to "replace" him.......Floyd Womack...lol......makes KS look decent. I like to think I am fairly neutral in all of this, and I have given the new regime credit when a good move was made, but on the same token I'm not going to spin a crap move like this into being something other than what it is.

We have what now........no starters at 5 positions, and 3 others (at least) are in need of major upgrades. Sorry bro, we aren't going to fill all of those holes through the draft........which means the Womack's and Stallworth's of the world are going to be starting. It's just dumb to create another hole when you have so many already..........and too top it off it didn't have to happen this year.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

They hired the right coaches, improved on what the team had...and made the right draft picks who produced right away. The used all available resources, not just the draft or just FA. They improved the talent right away, and kept what talent was already there.

To me that sounds like what is happening. Many are making it sound as if Shaffer was the main cog on the line. They kept the talent,JT and Steinbach and Tucker for that matter, and got rid of an overpaid bum. Replacemants are out there.
They've maintain the talent worth keeping on the defense also. Jones was looking for a pay day, he like Shaffer can be replaced.
They got 3 picks in the top 50 of the draft. So talent can be found there.
And they have upgraded the depth at many positions.
Barton is an upgrade to the ILB spot.
Porkchop is IMO an upgrade at G, but IMO not a starting RT.
To me this sounds like just what you described. I think too many are caught up in the fact that they aren't being told about moves until they are made. I'm reading that the team is being downgraded by the moves made so far, I disagree. There is still plenty of time to sign some players, and it seems that most do agree that some sort of trade is brewing. To much gloom and doom for me.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

To me that sounds like what is happening. Many are making it sound as if Shaffer was the main cog on the line. They kept the talent,JT and Steinbach and Tucker for that matter, and got rid of an overpaid bum. Replacemants are out there.
They've maintain the talent worth keeping on the defense also. Jones was looking for a pay day, he like Shaffer can be replaced.
They got 3 picks in the top 50 of the draft. So talent can be found there.
And they have upgraded the depth at many positions.
Barton is an upgrade to the ILB spot.
Porkchop is IMO an upgrade at G, but IMO not a starting RT.
To me this sounds like just what you described. I think too many are caught up in the fact that they aren't being told about moves until they are made. I'm reading that the team is being downgraded by the moves made so far, I disagree. There is still plenty of time to sign some players, and it seems that most do agree that some sort of trade is brewing. To much gloom and doom for me.

U still here???...

Do me a favor and QUOTE the entire post from BZ...I don't see it...

Go Browns!!!
Legend
Legend
I was just thinking... with how they are trying to trim down the salary cap...

Is Eric Steinbach safe? Especially if Mangini is trying to get " maulers" on our o-line. If we can get a 2nd for Steinbach, I would invest it into getting Duke Robinson w/ the 36 pick, and Herman Johnson w/ another 2nd rounder.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If we are planning to run a zone scheme, then Shaff should fit in. You need smaller, quick, smart Offensive lineman. It wont matter until we get decent center and a RG. That hole on the OL is just to easy for teams to exploit.

Cutting Shaff was stupid, it creates dead cap space, the guy could still play at a decent level, and maybe could have played inside. If you don't gain anything from cutting a player, keep him. If we are going to have dead space, use it on a dead player like Donte Stallweenieworthless.

and IMO.....

No such thing as a 3-5 year plan, thats just the amount of time a regime has to get it right. Truly good football people only need an offseason or two. Look at Parcells and Dimitroff...great football guys.

Here you go

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I was just thinking... with how they are trying to trim down the salary cap...

Is Eric Steinbach safe? Especially if Mangini is trying to get " maulers" on our o-line. If we can get a 2nd for Steinbach, I would invest it into getting Duke Robinson w/ the 36 pick, and Herman Johnson w/ another 2nd rounder.

I think they are trimming cost where the value isn't returned.

As for the line make-up...I don't think we are just looking for maulers....Joe T isn't a mauler as far as LTs go...pluis..the right side of the line is always a little more "maulish"(I know, not a word) then is the left.

I think you need to read the thread posted by Shep....I think the writer did an excellent job of laying things out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum kevin schaffer RELEASED

Link Copied to Clipboard