Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5...confi%20rm=true

The trade that sent Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs appears to be only the first phase of some major wheeling and dealing by the New England Patriots this offseason.

The second phase, NFL sources say, is likely to involve a trade that would send Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots in exchange for the second-round pick (34th overall) they received from the Chiefs on Feb. 28.

ยป Free-agency tracker:
According to league sources, the Patriots and Panthers are hoping to complete the deal at some point between the March 22-25 NFL owners meetings and the start of the draft on April 25. However, a deal must be brokered by Peppers' agent, not Carolina, because the player hasn't signed the $16.68 million franchise tender the team gave him last month.

Peppers would be converted to outside linebacker in New England's 3-4 defense.

The Patriots already were looking ahead to the possibility of acquiring Peppers when they shipped Cassel and Vrabel to Kansas City, NFL sources say, because they wanted to clear the salary-cap space necessary to sign Peppers to a new contract that would put him among the higher-paid defensive players in the league.

After signing Cassel to a one-year, franchise-tag tender contract worth $14.65 million, New England had nearly $30 million in cap money devoted to two quarterbacks (including $14.62 million for Tom Brady).

Once the Patriots were convinced that Brady would be fully recovered from the season-ending knee injury he suffered last year, they were comfortable with trading his replacement to the Chiefs and putting the wheels in motion to bolster a defense that has gotten particularly old at linebacker. Vrabel and fellow linebacker Tedy Bruschi are well into the twilight of their respective careers.

NFL sources say the Panthers would welcome the chance to unload Peppers for a second-round draft pick, even though it would be well below his market value, because it would be less costly than signing a first-rounder. The Panthers already have made some belt-tightening financial moves within their front office.

This, in part, could help answer the lingering question of why the Patriots were willing to take only a second-round pick for Cassel and Vrabel rather than possibly go for a higher choice as part of a three-way deal involving the Denver Broncos, who were ready to give up Jay Cutler for Cassel. Without an additional second-round pick, the Patriots might not be able to pursue Peppers.

League sources also point out that the Panthers don't have a first-round choice after trading it to the Philadelphia Eagles and aren't scheduled to draft until 59th overall (near the bottom of the second round). The 34th spot would give Carolina the second pick of the second round and a chance to land a player with a first-round rating who was pushed down to that spot for whatever reason.

Word from the Carolina camp
Panthers general manager Marty Hurney says the team is "not aware of any such conversations" that would lead to a trade of DE Julius Peppers to the Patriots. More ... Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft.

They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie. However, some early projections suggest it might be a long shot for Maualuga to be available for the Patriots with the 23rd overall pick.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick is known for making excellent decisions when it comes to acquiring players, but at least one NFL player-personnel evaluator questions whether Peppers would be a good fit in New England.

"This is a guy who totally went on strike two years ago because he wasn't happy with his contract," said the player personnel source, who requested anonymity. "He's also very long (in the torso), which is not ideal for a 3-4 outside linebacker. And he can't drop into coverage. He's very stiff.

"But one of the things (the Patriots) are looking at is the fact that, in passing situations, they can have Peppers up front with (Richard) Seymour and (Jarvis) Green. That makes it easier for them to take (nose tackle Vince) Wilfork out of the game in (passing situations) and just play him on running downs."

Legend
Legend
Pats primed to get Peppers? Preposterous!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
For just a 2nd rounder...

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
The rich get richer.

All Pro
All Pro
Heck, we have 2 2nd round picks.......I would take him for that for crying out loud....what is going on ...........

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
The Pats are having a pretty intersting offseason. These moves look like they are priming themselves for another SB run. Bodden, Springs, Taylor, and a few others. Whats funny bis that when the pats sign an aging vet everyone says what a smart move. Some of us talk about it and people say "too old".

I cant think of what they would go after in the draft. They need to get some more younger LBs. They might suprise people and take a QB on the first day. As of now, their backup is Guiterrez.

Legend
Legend
They picked up CB vets... They are amplifying their pass rush... which in turn will help the CB's out...

The Pat's already have a dynasty... Adding a player here or there will help things for them....

We don't have a dynasty. We are trying to build one. Therefore we want young guys to come in and grow in Cleveland.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Whats funny bis that when the pats sign an aging vet everyone says what a smart move. Some of us talk about it and people say "too old".

As Turk said, if we had a playoff caliber team with a host of established players and were poised to make a run (or another run) at a championship, I'd have no problem with taking somebody at a high price in the second half of his career to push us over the top... but we aren't there.

It almost looks to me like the Pats realize they have 2 or 3 more years left to get another ring and then they are going to have to break it down and start over. I'd be surprised if the Pats aren't really hurting in a few years (as much as one could hurt with all of that jewelry)...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
The Pats are just like the Steelers...

They let someone go... and they just draft someone to fill that spot... Their GM's have a very easy job. B/c for whatever reason, the guys they draft always pan out. Then it comes to this.. Well is it the actual player, or is it the system? I don't know... lol..

But I wish we could be in that situation. We always have like 10 holes to fill each off season... It's getting ridiculous.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Their GM's have a very easy job. B/c for whatever reason, the guys they draft always pan out. Then it comes to this.. Well is it the actual player, or is it the system? I don't know... lol..

I still contend that a lot of it is because they are being put into the middle of a talented roster.. therfore they aren't expected to dominate right away, they are allowed to do their job and they get lots of help around them... as opposed to a team like ours where a 1st or 2nd round pick must not only start immediately, they get about a 4 game learning curve to prove their worth... Less pressure, better support, stable system... it's not a mystery why their draft picks just mysteriously work out more than those of bad teams...

yebat' Putin
W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Quote:

Less pressure, better support, stable system

I never really gave it that much thought before, but Maybe this is the reason that Romeo was so hesitant to play rookies. He was used to having that nucleus of solid veterans to carry the load so that the youngun's could learn and develop at their own pace. Our young players never saw the field and therefore got no experience/play under live fire! Just a thought! Go Brownies!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

It almost looks to me like the Pats realize they have 2 or 3 more years left to get another ring and then they are going to have to break it down and start over. I'd be surprised if the Pats aren't really hurting in a few years (as much as one could hurt with all of that jewelry)...

Boy, I don't know.....I think as long as they have Bellichek, they will be contenders. They may have some older players, but before long some of them will be traded for draft picks....just like he does every year, and thye will get replaced...and like some3body else said...since they are surrounded by vets, it makes their jobs alot easier to come in as rookies, and play well......

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This would be good thing for us.
Not having Belicheck drafting before us in the 2nd may leave a good 3-4 player on thr board.
As far as improving the Pats,I don't really care.They breathe the rarified air of success and we just continue wallowing in the muck.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually this was the move I wanted us to do and said so. Peppers and Suggs were the only two going into the FA market that I said for us to consider making a big time offer.

I sort of stopped saying it cause we were not on the PEPPERS list of teams.

But this is the guy I wanted for the SOLB spot. I had imagined at one point Peppers on the OLB spot and Curry drafted on the SILB spot - how a weakness would become a strength!

One can dream

JMHDream

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

ese moves look like they are priming themselves for another SB run. Bodden,

Bodden as a key acquisition for a SB run. That's funny right there.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
All Pro
All Pro
I'm really starting to hate New England as bad as Pittsburgh........

[Linked Image]
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Nah, I hate Pittsburgh because they're a bunch of hillbilly bandwagon fans down there (no offense Christy) but I respect the crap outta how New England runs their organization...they usually get quality character guys with good work ethics...I might be envious of their success, I wouldn't begrudge them because they deserved it (though, Spy Gate sorta tainted that)

"Every time that I score, I'm going to get the ball and sign it "To Holmgren" and give it to him just so he has the proof that I'm worth every penny"- JC
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I wanted Peppers to make into FA sooooo bad, this man will be a force never before seen if he is allowed to play 3-4 OLB. Nobody in the league has his size, speed, athleticism. He knows it too, which is why he has asked to be traded to a 3-4 team.

I think this move happens only if Peppers is willing to take reasonable money, and not demand the largest defensive contract ever.

Also saw Dallas could be a player, imagine...Ware on one side, Peppers the other.

Legend
Legend
The local word is that Carolina isn't close to making a deal with anybody but that Peppers does want out of Carolina and has a 4 team wish list.. the only two I've heard from the list are NE and Dallas but I have heard that the other 2 are NFC teams.

That's from local Carolina radio...

yebat' Putin
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I'm with ya man, Peppers has been a favorite player of mine for the past couple of years...it almost brings tears to my eyes imagining Peppers and Wimbley opposite each other and the thought that he was available!!

"Every time that I score, I'm going to get the ball and sign it "To Holmgren" and give it to him just so he has the proof that I'm worth every penny"- JC
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pats primed to get Peppers???

Link Copied to Clipboard