Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The main draw here is getting Cleveland sports programming, mainly Fox Sports Ohio and STO.

Are those channels available through DirecTV programming and if so, how much extra do they cost?

Also, what are your thoughts about quality of service / programming?

Any information is much appreciated as I try to decide if I want to make the switch.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My friend has it and I don't like it, they black out all the Cavs games unless you order League pass or live in the Cavs local viewing area.

Basically you get the talk shows and not the games.

Also during the extra innings free preview they blacked out a reds game on the Mets network because it wasn't televised in Cincinnati.

Big thumbs down to direct tv. Even though I despise Time Warner I'm staying with it. Atleast they give me the Cavs.

A
Legend
Legend
A
My sis and bro in law have direct tv, and they like it.

We have Dish Network, and I love it. (biggest reason the others have direct tv is the nfl package - whatever it's called - season ticket - whatever. One of them is a Bears fan, the other one is a colts fan)

We got dish when we moved here 9 years ago, and since the Browns are on local t.v. anyway, it works for us.

I will say, satellite t.v. gives good service here - be it direct tv. or dish network. I have no complaints about Dish network, and my relatives haven't said anything bad about direct t.v.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
I'm replacing it with Dish. You can get STO but don't expect to get Indian games, if the game is on their MLB extra innings they will black it out on STO, this was the main tipping point for me to switch. I'll settle with Field Pass to listen to Browns games.

Not to mention Dish is cheaper then DTV and customer service is better.

"Change ownership of the team, the true change we can believe in." - I made this in 2008 tongue
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
So who blacks out games? Dish network or Direct tv? Or both?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So who blacks out games? Dish network or Direct tv? Or both?

Direct TV does. They want you to buy Extra Innings or NBA league pass. Simply buying the sports package for 7 bucks a month doesn't get you the games.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Quote:

Direct TV does. They want you to buy Exta Innings or NBA league pass. Simply buying the sports package for 7 bucks a month doesn't get you the games.

So if I buy the Choice 250 package that comes with STO and FSN Cincy I cannot watch Cavs and Indians games unless I buy the League Pass and Extra Innings? Yuck

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Direct TV does. They want you to buy Extra Innings or NBA league pass. Simply buying the sports package for 7 bucks a month doesn't get you the games.

So if I buy the Choice 250 package that comes with STO and FSN Cincy I cannot watch Cavs and Indians games unless I buy the League Pass and Extra Innings? Yuck

That depends on if you live in the Cleveland local viewing area or not. I'm in the CIncinnati area so I can't get them.

EDIT: And they even blacked out a Reds game on Extra Innings during the free trial. Which I found odd, If I'm paying 200 bucks I better get all of their games.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 04/19/09 09:48 PM.
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
Okay, I see what you are saying. Then if you are in the Cleveland area you would get them...but out of the Cleveland market area you would have to buy the league pass.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I have Directv, live in Columbus and I get every Indians game on. I love Directv, the only reason I have it is for the NFL Sunday Ticket. I have had Directv for 4 years and have only lost my signal maybe 5 times. Really Really bad storms.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That depends on if you live in the Cleveland local viewing area or not. I'm in the CIncinnati area so I can't get them.

EDIT: And they even blacked out a Reds game on Extra Innings during the free trial. Which I found odd, If I'm paying 200 bucks I better get all of their games.

that's by law. all local games, because you can watch them on local channels, must be blacked out on all sports packages. not sure if the nfl has to follow that.

i live in chicago, so any sports package i get will not include sox, cubs, bulls, hawks...

you still get the game, but on local tv...

i used to do the sports packages, but it's just such a waste of money. with the nba, the cavs are on national tv on average, 1 out of every 4 games. with baseball, the only team i'm going to follow is the tribe, and if they fall outta contention i'm not gonna watch every single game, even if they are contending i won't be able to watch every single night.

i wish they'd do city packages. like you get all the cleveland teams for a set price. or even a pay per game...

and they aren't all in HD either...

and we considered switching to directv for the nfl ticket until i realized how much it was, and that they charged extra for hd. talk about burning a hole in your customer's pocket. the nfl and directv should be ashamed of themselves.

there's a sports bar about a block away from my apartment, i'd rather go and watch the game there if i can't on tv, then blow almost 400 bucks to see the browns not score a freaking touchdown.

Legend
Legend
Yes, by law Directv can't show the local market games even if you have purchased their extra sports package. The local stations have a right to their market and to show their commercials. So if it's on local TV, it has to be blacked out by directv.

If you're a Browns fan not in the Cleveland area, Sunday Ticket is the only way you're going to get to see the Browns on most weekends. So for me, the ticket is a must have. I'll spend what amounts to going to a couple of games a year on it and I'm glad to do it.

When the Browns are on I'm watching that exclusively, otherwise directv offers the Red Zone Channel to it's subscribers. The Red Zone Channel shows you whatever games are currently on when the action gets interesting, when the teams enter the red zone. It's commercial free and you're kept up to date on all the games and if nothing is particularly interesting at the moment they'll show some interesting high-lights of the day. It has become my favorite way to watch the NFL.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have had DirectTV for years and think it is great, even if it does get a bit expensive.

When we moved down here last summer we had had DTV in Cleveland for about 7 years. So I decided to try out TWC and one of their bundles for a little while. It was horrible, and TWC has to have the worst customer service of any large company in the US. I went back to DTV several months later and do not regret it all.

As far as service loss, I ususally have to go out and brush the snow off my dish about teice a winter,thats about it.

You can get STO and FSOH but to watch the CAVS or Tribe you will need the NBA Pass and the MLB Extra innings.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
j/c

What you can do is change your zip to a Cleveland area zipcode despite the billing address being different. At least I've read about people doing that before.

I'm interested in DirecTV too.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I have Directv and I would never change back. I had DTV for a long time then my wife wanted to try TW. What a mistake. I don't know why anyone would put up with the crap from TW if there are other options out there. Customer service is terrible and I was very disappointed in the service.

Not to mention not having the NFL Sunday ticket. Living in Wisconsin it's the only way to see browns games. I saw before where someone mentioned the price so they would rather go to a sports bar and watch. That person must spend a lot less in a bar than I do because it just wouldn't pay.

F
Legend
Legend
F
JC...

I guess it depends on where you live and what you want.

Several of my family have DirectTV, thankfully my mom loves it, since that's where we get the NFL Ticket then all pile in her house on Sundays (about 10-12 of us live here now). I know hers goes out easily in storms, but she doesn't watch much TV other then the games.

My best friend, likes it for the channel choices, but complains about the outages during storms, which in Florida get pretty severe and of course during tropical storms and hurricanes, he stuck listening to a radio since his dish is surely not receiving.

Me, I have Comcast, and have no issues, even the couple times I called for misc stuff, customer service has been fine, nothing that I don't expect. Worst is going into the nearest location for a box exchange or something, the counter people there are extremely slow.

I think each has it's advantages and disadvantages, and also depends on who your cable provider is.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1st String
1st String
I prefer Dish, but since Direct has the NFL Ticket I have Direct TV.

I made the switch last year and if it weren't for the NFL Ticket I would go back to Dish. Direct doesn't offer locals in my area and if I want them...a) Direct submits a request for the "local" channel to the main East coast West coast networks...b) the networks will than have to approve or disprove of allowing you to access their network...c) you'll than have to pay around $2.00 per channel per month if they approve...d) most networks will decline... e) the ones that do approve are worthless when it comes to anything local because you'll be getting a station out of NYC or Washington on the East Coast/West Coast I'm not sure cause I don't watch the West coast stations.

But basically...to get ABC, NBC, Fox, and CBS...that is a combined extra $8+ for just those channels per month.

If you don't want the sports packages than I'd say go with DishNetwork. Better customer service and better packages.

Bottom line, get the company that has a contract with your local TV networks.

H
1st String
1st String
H
I have direct TV.

I love it. I have not purchased The Sunday Ticket, but I probably will this year. By the time I factor in gas, and bar tab I spend way more at the bar and typically do not have sound.

I do not have a problem with my dish going out. It has gone out 2 to 3 times in 3 years. The biggest factor in this is how good your view of the southern sky is. As long as you do not have Trees or buildings in the way you should be fine. The more of these you have in your way, the greater chance you have of the signal going out.

JMHO

H
1st String
1st String
H
i know direct tv has gotten better with not losing signals, but its still not good enough for me. i live in the woods and would have problems there. the ONLY positive for me would be nfl ticket. but we got season tix. i go to half the games and if its not on tv where i live (dayton area) i go to the bar and watch it. so i go 2-3 times a season to the sportsbar to watch the browns.

i have called direct tv to get a price qoute for what i have now with time warner. they could not even come close. i have a bunh of showtimes and hbo. extra hd package. 1 hd dvr box and a regular dvr box and am about to get another hd box. thats where direct tv gets ya, the extra boxes. they wanted me to share a box for a couple tvs, ?

once a year i can tw and threaten them with changing to dish. it works the first few times. now they say "sir we have dropped your price every year and yet you add more, sorry this is the best price we can give you". thats fine with me.

i like the options better on tw also. the new format they are using does not even use the capabilities available. my buddy works for them and tells me cool things coming up hopefully. dvr option better also.

tw doesnt go out and between abc, tnt, espn, and fso we never miss a cavs game. good enough for me

Raven
Raven
Quote:

I have Directv, live in Columbus and I get every Indians game on. I love Directv, the only reason I have it is for the NFL Sunday Ticket. I have had Directv for 4 years and have only lost my signal maybe 5 times. Really Really bad storms.

I have had it for the last 11 years and wouldn't change for the world. .screw Comcast and it's sorry service.....

Legend
Legend
I love my directv as well. I've had it for 5 years, to get the NFL ticket. This year, I probably won't renew, but I'll still keep the service, just because it has been excellent. I can't remember ever losing signal (San Diego doesn't get bad storms), and their customer service has been excellent.

H
1st String
1st String
H
i hear alot about direct tvs costumer service. i think tw has always been good. dont really know for sure because ive never had problems. Except the stom last year with down lines. but never had electric either. i remember always callin the dtv people because the service was out. so if you have to call them alot its nice to have good service.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Anyone know an estimated price for NFL Sunday Ticket? I'm considering purchasing it this year mainly due to the Dayton area Televising almost all Bungle games.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
$279.95, or 5 payments of $55.99.

[Linked Image from sternfannetwork.com]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Who has DirecTV and what are your thoughts?

Link Copied to Clipboard