Print Thread
#377599 04/26/09 10:37 AM
D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
can someone please tell me why the madden rookie ratings thread was removed from the fantasy/gaming section?

i figured plenty of people would be interested in seeing those ratings and they were straight from EA...

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
They were straight from a blogger named "Dewiel."

D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
yea, that's a screen name. did you even look at the source? the main address is easports.com and ea, since two years ago, have been updating the public about madden through the blog insideblog.easports.com, like a lot of sites these days.

BLOG LINKS REMOVED

linked from here as well, if you click on the button "read blog" from 4/25:

Last edited by Referee1; 04/28/09 04:53 AM.
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Yes, I looked at the source. An example of a blog from that site that is a "good" blog is the one from EA President Ernie Moore. Others that have fake names listed are more than likely community type blogs which are the same as fan based blogs that we have commonly disallowed. No need to re-list the links, as we already have them.

D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
that's fine, i was simply linking to show that i did the dilligence to make sure the source was actually EA before posting.

this seems to be part of a larger issue, though, in that almost all the sites are adding or have blog sections. simply because the ea blogs are not posted by their president doesn't mean they're not legitimate. they're trying to reach out to their fans and show the features that they've added. i think this should be allowed to post but if it isn't for now, i'll obviously adher to that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

this seems to be part of a larger issue, though, in that almost all the sites are adding or have blog sections

Absolutely true, but mostly what it has meant is that the number of nebulous, and potentially nefarious, sources has increased dramatically.
The increase in the presence of blogs does not lend extra credence to the use of blogs as a source - simply because the nature of a blog is still just what it is: just any old opinion thrown out there from unverifiable sources, no different than that of any message board post. This is why we only allow the referencing of blogs from what we generically refer to as "reputable" sources, e.g. the blogs of known writers and official blogs from the team's official site.

It is a gray area that will likely continue to grow, but it won't make them any more reputable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
thanks prpl. i don't want to draw this out because it's clear that the board has a stance on this. i get that and have no real opposition to it. I simply bring an alternate side because it's for clarification purposes, so i hope you and the refs will be patient and tolerate one more reply.

i can understand how blogs regarding the nfl, players, rumors, could be unwanted. it's easy to start one and it's easy to start rumors so i understand why blogs from known authors/writers is acceptable. that said, i think in this case, it's a different situation altogether.

ea sports has long started a "blog" to reach their madden fans to show all the new features. they have different members of their teams, like their senior designers, post on the parts of madden they've worked on. they discuss things like the new franchse modes, the new updates for the in-game engine, etc. the only way they could really reach their fans would be through a "blog" but really, would we expect them to do a press release or something? knowing this board has its number of madden fans, if we wanted to discuss, say, the new franchise features or the addition of the wildcat to madden 10, does that mean we're not allowed to discuss until someone at ign writes an article on it? doesn't that seem a little far-fetched when the main source, EA, already published the details on their own site, even if they call it a blog?

my point is, in these instances, no opinions are given, just the reporting of how they changed a product. given that it's a section from EA's own site, doesn't that fall outside of the requirements of what makes a blog a reputable "source"?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

given that it's a section from EA's own site, doesn't that fall outside of the requirements of what makes a blog a reputable "source"?

A very valid point, and one which we should probably take into consideration going forward. If it is a company blog speaking of one of its own products, it should pretty much be deemed credible, I would think.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

can someone please tell me why the madden rookie ratings thread was removed from the fantasy/gaming section?

It's because you went to Michigan.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
thanks, that's how i saw it too. the lines just keep blurring, don't they?

Quote:

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

i don't want to draw this out because it's clear that the board has a stance on this. i get that and have no real opposition to it. I simply bring an alternate side because it's for clarification purposes, so i hope you and the refs will be patient and tolerate one more reply.

I'm all for clarification purposes and please don't feel that it is necessary to limit this to "one more reply" or anything of the sort. Going back to the original board on browns.com and including now on this site this forum is for feedback and the asking of questions when a poster does not understand something, and it has also led to discussion on changes for the board and board rules which has occurred over the years. Mods being mods does not make for a good message board, the posters do, both in posting as well as providing feedback on changes that may be made to improve the board.

Quote:

i can understand how blogs regarding the nfl, players, rumors, could be unwanted. it's easy to start one and it's easy to start rumors so i understand why blogs from known authors/writers is acceptable. that said, i think in this case, it's a different situation altogether.

Perhaps, as this is a situation that has changed greatly over the last 5 years. It used to be very simple- a blog was no good and was to be deleted. We've had to adapt as mods on here to how and by whom blogs have been presented on the 'net and I want you to know this was not a snap decision on my part. I researched it when it was first posted and then again after you posted within here asking about the removal. To me, it ultimately came down to the fact that you can't tell who it was written by. Was it an EASports employee/producer etc or was it a community member from their site?

The biggest thing we strive for in interpretation and enforcement of the rules is fairness and continuity. Not always easy and we are going to err from time to time. Not saying that an error was made here mind you.

Quote:

my point is, in these instances, no opinions are given, just the reporting of how they changed a product. given that it's a section from EA's own site, doesn't that fall outside of the requirements of what makes a blog a reputable "source"?

Seeing as how we have dealt with blogs over the years it is hard to allow one from someone named "Dewiel" and which doesn't have a person's name attached to it.
With that said, this isn't a final decision, just something we have to look at deeper and perhaps make allowances for now.

Thanks as always for the feedback, as I said this is how improvements are made.

D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
thanks, ref. appreciated the response

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I was on Dongs side up until finding this out. I say to hell with him, he should be banned for a blatant rules violation

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
hey hey, i went to case western, IN cleveland even better, i was a beer vendor at the browns games! i was vending when someone returned a punt/kick for a td in the opener against the ravens in garcia's first game. place went nuts.

a lot of my hs friends went to michigan though...but that was mainly academic. say what you want about them but damn, they have good programs all around.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

a lot of my hs friends went to michigan though...but that was mainly academic. say what you want about them but damn, they have good programs all around.

Have you watched their football team recently?? I know,I know Rich Rod is the savior and in 5 years they will be back on top

KING

D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
i meant academically

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i meant academically

So did he.

D
dong Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
D
?

L
Legend
Legend
L
All he OSU homers on here make me want to become a Michigan fan.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

All he OSU homers on here make me want to become a Michigan fan.

Well nobody would be able to accuse you of being a front runner

KING

L
Legend
Legend
L
Leafs, Browns, Expos... Nope, can's accuse me of being that.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fan Feedback Forum madden rookie thread?

Link Copied to Clipboard