Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#381859 05/14/09 02:46 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
This thing seems to be gaining popularity after getting started as on of those AS SEEN ON TV type deals that seemed dubious.It got a glowing review from PC Magazine which peaked my interest. I just purchased one at WAL MART for $39.95 and that includes first year of service and then it is $19.99 a year after that for unlimited local and long distance VOIP calling. I have it hooked up and it seems to work well. I even got a local phone number so my wife will stop using up all our cell phone minutes gabbing with the ladies from church during the day.

I was wondering if anyone else has purchased Magic Jack and what their experiences have been. Anything I should know about it? The only downside that I see to it is that it will not work if my cable internet service is down. So therefore it could not work when the power is out since it runs through my PC.

KING

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
kingodawg #381860 05/14/09 02:56 PM
Legend
Legend
We tried it out, and had a choppy connection for most calls. It's basically VOIP with a phone number attached, so you can do the same thing with MSN or Skype or a number of other services, just minus the phone number.

You have to keep your computer on at all times though for it to work like a phone, and if the internet connection gets slow, your calls will suffer. Plus like you mentioned, if either electricity or cable goes down, you're hosed ... where as a normal phone line only relies on one utility.

ExclDawg #381861 05/14/09 03:15 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
yeah, I think it will work well for what I want it for. Basically to take some strain off my cell phone plan. I dont think it would be good to have it as a primary phone line that you rely on all the time.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Magic Jack ??

Link Copied to Clipboard