Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
B
Figured this was note worthy, and may have gotten buried in the talk about Cribbs....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/05/agent_for_cleveland_browns_jos.html (Scroll Down for this bit...)

Edwards, Jackson attend: Browns receiver Braylon Edwards, the subject of trade talks this off-season, and D'Qwell Jackson, who's seeking an extension, participated in the minicamp Tuesday, according to sources.

"Braylon is excited to be at minicamp with his teammates and the new coaching staff and is looking forward to the season and playing football," said an Edwards spokesperson.

Edwards, who participated in only the first few days of the Browns' off-season program, has not been heard from despite persistent trade talks and rumors. Browns GM George Kokinis admitted at the NFL owners meetings in March that he had talked to the Giants about a trade for Edwards.

There have also been rumors that the Jets might be interested in trading for him.

Coming off a down year, Edwards, a Pro Bowler in 2007, is in the last year of his contract.

Jackson, who's in the last year of the four-year deal he signed as a rookie, is in the beginning stages of extension talks with the Browns. He's set to make the fourth-year minimum salary of $640,000 in 2009. His agent, Brian Mackler, told The Plain Dealer that Jackson has outperformed his contract and that it needs to be addressed.

Stallworth absent: Donte Stallworth, set to be arraigned Thursday on charges of DUI manslaughter, is still working out in Miami and not participating in the camp. The Browns are giving him time to work out his legal issues, a source said.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm very surprised Braylon Edwards showed up.

I am also very happy that he showed up.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

"Braylon is excited to be at minicamp with his teammates and the new coaching staff and is looking forward to the season and playing football," said an Edwards spokesperson.

He couldnt have said that himself.

Good, I'm glad BE is there, I hope he gets his head on straight, we need him this year if were gonna compete.

D'Qwell, hopefully we can get him inked to a solid long term deal fair for both sides.

Stallworth....Lets just say we drafted 2 recievers in the 2nd round of this years draft....Nuff said.

Since Stallworth underplayed his contract maybe he can give the money to Cribbs who overplayed his contract, this way it all balances out. I do think were gonna see stallworth's contract become voided due to the nature of his possible conviction, I think we have to wait until things are final with the legal aspects of the case.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Which is probably why we haven't released him. We're waiting until we can legally void the contract.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
This is good to hear that they both showed up, but it also kind of irritates me that it is even news that they showed up. Since when did players start to decide when they can show up for work based upon how happy they are with their contracts? The whole concept of skipping Team Activities because they dont like the contract that they signed really bugs me.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

This is good to hear that they both showed up, but it also kind of irritates me that it is even news that they showed up. Since when did players start to decide when they can show up for work based upon how happy they are with their contracts? The whole concept of skipping Team Activities because they dont like the contract that they signed really bugs me.

Since the NFL became about money.. Back in the day when the guys played on Sunday, then woke up and went to the factory to work on Monday, if you didn't show up, they just pulled someone else off the street to replace you.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
J/c

Could someone point out when Edwards ever complained about the team or his contract?

This is an honest question because I sincerely don't know.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Good news to me.

Now keep your damn shoes on, Braylon!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Could someone point out when Edwards ever complained about the team or his contract?

That I'm aware of, after his pro bowl season, he wanted a new contract. He also made comments about how poorly he and his family have been treated by the fans.. this came on the heels of last season which by far was not a good year for him...

He said something about how his family members were being yelled at etc...

Beyond that, I just don't know what else is on his mind. But others on here have said he wanted out.. May have been in an article somewhere.. dunno..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

it also kind of irritates me that it is even news that they showed up.

I think it's not news. I haven't heard that either one was planning on skipping. I think it's just crappy reporting to make it sound like it was a surprise that they showed up.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
in an article by Peter King after our 10-6 year, he quoted Braylon as saying he had wanted to run from Cleveland as fast as he could get out of his contract but winning changed that and it was fun being on the team now (not exact words...something similar)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, you're right, I do remember him saying that early in his career, he wasn't happy about being in Cleveland. And, I do remember him saying his family and he have been treated poorly by some fans.

But, I don't remember seeing anything where he complained about re-doing his contract, or that he wanted out of Cleveland (other than his early career stuff).

I mean, after all the trade talk and all the Braylon bashing in the media, you'd think this guy would pull a Shaun Rogers or Josh Cribbs and demand demand demand. But I haven't heard a peep out of him.

As for DQ, I see him getting a new contract soon. The big difference for him is that he's entering the last year of his contract, so this is a proper time to get an extension on the books. And, while I have some issues with his play, I think the coaching staff really likes the guy, as do I. I see him being a good leader on this team and someone we want to keep around for the long haul.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Stallworth's contract, or anybody's contract, can't be voided because of legal trouble.

The Falcons never released Michael Vick because his contract would have hit their cap too hard. The only reason he didn't get paid was because he was suspended.

Stallworth was guaranteed money, he gets whether he plays or not. Or has legal trouble or doesn't. Unless he is suspended.

We just have to hope he gets suspended the full season so we don't have to pay him.

Legend
Legend
I thought we already paid Stallworth his guaranteed money for this year?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Stallworth's contract, or anybody's contract, can't be voided because of legal trouble.

The Falcons never released Michael Vick because his contract would have hit their cap too hard. The only reason he didn't get paid was because he was suspended.

Stallworth was guaranteed money, he gets whether he plays or not. Or has legal trouble or doesn't. Unless he is suspended.

We just have to hope he gets suspended the full season so we don't have to pay him.

but isn't the other half of the contract fulfilling an obligation to play football instead of sitting in a prison cell?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Stallworth's contract, or anybody's contract, can't be voided because of legal trouble

Your probebly right, I'm not into the legal part, but I have heard, maybe wrong again, but in all contracts there is legal language that says this contract is void if it the terms cannot be fulfilled due to handgliding injury, motorcycle injury, legal incarsonation....something in those words.

The contract may not be voided, but payments or obligation of those payments may be stopped.

Once again No lawyer here, just heard a few things.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i don't know about voided but in all of these cases (like winslow and vick), the team has the right to recoup bonuses paid. the only option in the past is to attempt to recoup some of the bonus money paid.

Quote:

The Browns may not be able to recoup any of the signing bonus given to WR Donte’ Stallworth the day before the car he was driving struck and killed a pedestrian in Miami, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Recouping bonus money from players was made tougher for teams when the CBA was extended in 2006. Teams were limited to recouping only the pro-rated portions of a signing bonus if a player breached his contract by being suspended or committing a crime.
“We lost all that stuff (in the extension),” one of the sources said.
Correcting that huge oversight is just one reason the owners opted out of the CBA, setting up a future labor fight.
Based on precedent, the Browns would be entitled to a pro-rated portion of Stallworth’s original signing bonus if legal issues prevented him from playing in 2009, or beyond. That would amount to about $905,000 a year.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/23/browns-may-not-recoup-stallworths-signing-bonus/

Legend
Legend
Also, couldn't we just cut the guy for really no reason, even if he wasn't in jail?

Yeah, it would accelerate certain guaranteed money, but we wouldn't be on the hook for his other salary.

Legend
Legend
...but normally, the salary is pennies compared to the pro-rated signing and roster/workout bonuses each year. The money Stallworth got the night before his accident, it's his and it WILL count against our cap. There's nothing the Browns can do to stop that.

Like was mentioned before, Vick didn't have to pay back his signing bonus.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i thought vick had to pay some bonus money back? i remember the falcons wanted 20 million but only got something in the low 7-figures, like 2.5 million or something?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yet Vick is filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy....

Legend
Legend
I think it was the pro-rated signing bonus for the year(s) he was going to be in prison for. They were asking for the whole signing bonus back (something like that).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

yet Vick is filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy....

Yeah, but he was in debt and counting on his continued income from the Falcons to service that debt... Couple that with the cost of defending himself and those suits he wore to court (no, not the orange ones ) and you can see how quickly several million bucks can disappear

He'll have it all back inside of 2 years... you watch... The Vikings are gonna snap him up if they don't get Favre...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Yea..

In my opinion its b/w 3 teams...

1) Vikings....
2) 49ers...

and my wildcard...

3) Redskins...
Doesn't seem like they are too happy w/ Campbell... and Vick's style of play IMO would compliment their offense...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Legend
Legend
L
maybe the Raiders...

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Like lamp says,, I'd say the Raiders might be more in the mix than the Redskins.. Zorn doesn't seem like the kinda guy that would take a Vick on.. JMO...

Speaking of the raiders,, JeMarcus Russell,, do you think they've given up on him?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I think JeMarcus has one year to prove himself... and then he becomes Matt Leinhart of the Raiders... a backup...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
newbie here, just joined this morning but:

they got Jeff Garcia, maybe they have a plan ICOE?

Don't point a gun at someone unless your ready to pull the trigger.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Braylon & D'Qwell show up for volunteer minicamp | Stallworth absent

Link Copied to Clipboard