B
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
B
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=9668

Browns sign all three sixth-rounders
Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

The Browns kicked off their draft-pick signings Wednesday by signing all three of their sixth-round selections: Defensive backs Coye Francies and Don Carey, and running back James Davis.

Carey was a four-year letterwinner at his hometown school, Norfolk State, and is regarded as being smart and versatile enough to play any position in the secondary. Francies finished his college career at San Jose State after stops at American River Junior College and Oregon State; he had 3 interceptions last fall and played in the Senior Bowl.

Davis is Clemson's second all-time leading rusher and was praised by Browns coach Eric Mangini for his play during the team's spring practice sessions. He's an Atlanta native who attended the same high school (Frederick Douglass) as Browns veteran running back Jamal Lewis.

The Browns still have five draft picks to sign. To make room for the three signed Wednesday, the team waived running back Marcus Thomas and a pair of undrafted rookies, defensive back Nate Ness and linebacker Jonathan Foster.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Keep reeling them in guys.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who's left?

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
At a minimum, Mack, Biskie and Massaquoi,....Veikune,...

Legend
Legend
www.KFFL.com

Browns | Talks with top picks have not gone far
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:42:44 -0700

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have had little or no talks with first-round draft choice C Alex Mack or second-round draft choices WR Brian Robiskie and WR Mohamed Massaquoi, according to sources.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
probably to rush them into camp at a cheap price...

If they talked right now.. they would have lots of time to negotiate.. wait to the last minute.. and the pressure is now on the player to sign a contract in order to make it into camp on time..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Well, from another viewpoint, what's the point of opening up serious talks with them right now? You know it's going to be a pretty contentious negotiation, so get the lower round guys out of the way. Now you can concentrate on the top guys and hopefully get deals done quickly.

Besides, all it takes is a few guys in the 1st and 2nd round to start signing and the chips start to fall.

S
2nd String
2nd String
S
How many first rounders have signed so far, does anyone know?

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a true Browns fan. GO BROWNS!!!!!
Legend
Legend

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I believe this is the status of all our draft picks:

1. Alex Mack - unsigned
2. Brian Robiskie - unsigned
2. Mohammed Massaquoi - unsigned
2. David Veikune - unsigned
4. Kaluka Maiava - signed
6. Don Carey - signed
6. Coye Francies - signed
6. James Davis - signed

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If they talked right now.. they would have lots of time to negotiate.. wait to the last minute.. and the pressure is now on the player to sign a contract in order to make it into camp on time..

I doubt its about pushing them into a corner... it's probably more because later round contracts are easier... then let some other teams sign their high round picks and see where the market shakes out, then the negotiations become simpler... You are worth more than this guy, but not as much as that guy... let's write up the deal.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
What is left is our 1st day picks...Mack and the 3 2nd rounders.

Pretty much slotted guys now. Its not about a QB expecting more or anything like that. Its just about where they are slotted and what they will get. Not much movement in the entire NFL on that regard. Just the 2 top QBs being overpaid - and no other first rounders have signed.

Again Problem is the agents. They don't want to sign first and then look bad by their client and future clients if they signed below the slot...so they are waiting.

The 4th and the 3 6th rounders were easy - probably the only task was getting 4 years instead of 3 from them.

So again it has nothing to do with our FO playing games or our Owner being too cheap - it all has to do with slotting and AGENTS!!!

JMHO - Once more get signed they will all fall into place!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
IMO the signings will be fairly easy for our front office...

Veikune will be the next to sign followed by the 2 WRs whose contracts will be very similar.

Finally, Mack will be easy as well because of the proximity of other center picks. As EO said, he is basically slotted in.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Cleveland Browns' top four draft picks remain unsigned as training camp nears
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter
Linky

The Browns are four-eighths of the way to having their rookie draft class under contract.

They have signed linebacker Kaluka Maiava (fourth round), cornerback Don Carey (sixth), cornerback Coye Francies (sixth) and running back James Davis (sixth). Each deal is for four years. The Browns have confirmed all but the Maiava signing.

But getting in the higher picks in time for the team's early rookie reporting date (July 24) might be problematical.

No team has set an earlier report date for its rookies than the Browns. The Bills report the next day, but they play their first exhibition game Aug. 9 in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game in Canton. The Browns' first exhibition game isn't until Aug. 15.

Browns veterans are not required to report until July 31. Some agents are considering the latter date to be a truer deadline.

"Alex certainly is using the 24th as his report date," said Tim Younger, an attorney retained by Browns top pick Alex Mack.

Younger, who will leave the contract negotiations to super-agent Marv Demoff, said Mack wants to be in as soon as possible, "but the realities are it may be very difficult."

"The 24th is so early in comparison to some of the draft picks around Alex," Younger said. "It may pose some difficulties."

Also, there are unique complications facing first-round draft picks this season because of the possibility of the league salary cap being abolished in 2010. One of the main issues will be resolved by an arbitrator - but possibly not until July 24 or later.

"We're going to try to be creative [to get Mack in on time], I'll say that much," Younger said.

Still, Younger believes the Browns may leave Mack for last and work themselves up from the bottom of the draft first.

Linebacker David Veikune - one of three second-round picks - should be the next one signed. He has the same agent, Ken Zuckerman, as Maiava.

"Since the pick behind David is done, we should be able to get his done soon. I see that happening before the 24th," Zuckerman wrote in an e-mail.

Only two players chosen in the second round have been signed - New England cornerback Darius Butler (41st overall) and Philadelphia running back Le- Sean McCoy (53rd overall). Veikune was the 52nd pick.

The other Browns second-round picks, receiver Brian Robiskie and receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, were selected 36th and 50th, respectively.

To make room on the 80-player roster for the signed players, the Browns waived linebacker Jonathan Foster, defensive back Nate Ness and running back Marcus Thomas.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I hate the fact that agents play off each others contracts to decide what their player is worth. Look at last year slot..deduct 10% to coincide with what the rest of americans are dealing with in terms of pay cuts and job losses and sign the darn thing. Problem solved

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

But getting in the higher picks in time for the team's early rookie reporting date (July 24) might be problematical.

Problematical, indeed.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
j/c

Per www.KFFL.com

Patriots | Vollmer signs
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:27:40 -0700

Christopher L. Gasper, of the Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots have signed second-round draft choice OT Sebastian Vollmer. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Vollmer was the 58th pick, for reference.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It most certainly is problematical all the way around, as well as emblematical of the quality of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Younger, who will leave the contract negotiations to super-agent Marv Demoff, said Mack wants to be in as soon as possible, "but the realities are it may be very difficult."

"The 24th is so early in comparison to some of the draft picks around Alex," Younger said. "It may pose some difficulties."

Uh...the 24th pick is the 24th pick. What the ^&%$# is this guy trying to say?

Legend
Legend
I think it's obvious. The 24th pick is much much earlier than, say, the 3rd pick, or the 25th pick, or the -61st pick. C'mon man, get a clue.

Legend
Legend
According to www.KFFL.com, the Pats have signed 40th pick Ron Brace. So, those 2nd rounders are starting to fall bit by bit.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Willie, I think he meant July 24th ... the first day of camp for our rookies.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Ahhh...ok...I see that now.

Thanks!

E
Legend
Legend
E
"Vollmer was the 58th pick, for reference."

Yeah and shouldn't have gone before 100 so he probably signed for anything and loved it. He had no clue he would go that low so their expectations were pretty low and possibly a condition of the pick.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign all three sixth-rounders

Link Copied to Clipboard