Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
C
I ask all ye Browns fans,how come after watching the Browns play,it feels like they never can match the other teams intensity on the field.
When was the last time you can say,win or lose the Browns left it all on the field and the other team knew the had to play 4 quarters of football to compete?
I believe this team is mentally fragile and lacking in self confidence....
the sad thing is, I have a feeling some of the Browns are going into Baltimore self defeated.

E
Legend
Legend
E
"it feels like they never can match the other teams intensity on the field."

Because we got nuances on both sides of the ball including a lot of Players not playing together.

Too many thinking and not just playing the game as a reaction!

Yes it could be that simple. Note I'm not voiding lack of talent in some of it as a variable...but believe me a vast majority is cause they aren't at the Knowledge state where they are just letting it all out and the game just FLOWS!!!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
C
However though,this isn't what you'd call a "young" football team.....
the 22 that start(plus special teams),some of those are established vets......
Barton,Rogers, Coleman, Furrey,Royal.....
I could see if this team had 53 rookies....
How is San Fran pulling it off...
they have a relatively new coach.....player turnover,etc.

E
Legend
Legend
E
"I could see if this team had 53 rookies."

ummm yeah I'm having a reasonable discussion with ya on this subject...obviously you can't SEE as much as you think.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Intensity is virtually even across every NFL team.

What we can't do is match up talent wise, and when one force overpowers another force, the winning force appears to have more intensity.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

However though,this isn't what you'd call a "young" football team.....
the 22 that start(plus special teams),some of those are established vets......
Barton,Rogers, Coleman, Furrey,Royal.....
I could see if this team had 53 rookies....
How is San Fran pulling it off...
they have a relatively new coach.....player turnover,etc.

SF is a bad example. They kept much of the same coaching staff from last year and are running the same systems. Singletary changed their defense to be more attack-oriented, but the fact remains that the terminology and the basic system in place are the same as from the Nolan years.

Denver is the better example....they moved to a 3-4 from a 4-3 and changed QB's along with a completely new coaching staff.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Actually, he's right. The Browns tie for 2nd with the most players on their team over the age of 30 in the league.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Playing with intensity comes from the heart....

It is a quality of the individual, it cannot be coached.....

A player either has the ability to dig way down, psche himself up, and turn it loose or he does not....

We don't have any of these players....

F
Legend
Legend
F
Maybe it can't be coached, but it can be inspired, and right now this team lacks confidence in itself and/or the systems and/or coaches.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Its the players we have, we have no guys who still light a fire under there team mates arses...We need our version of Ray Lewis. We don't have one. The defense lacks a true play maker other than Rodgers.

The offense had a firey passionate player who left it all on the field and actually backed up his mouth, but the front office felt the need to trade away our best offensive player to Tampa Bay, and clearly our team has been better without him

Ryan is an intense guy, but the Browns defense lacks a Ray Lewis.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We need our version of Ray Lewis.

I believe that Shaun Rogers could be our Ray Lewis if only he felt it would make a difference. Shaun could be an animal if truly motiviated to make a difference. If he thought we were contenders I think we would see a more spirited Rogers. After what he has seen so far I don't think he feels it matters at this point.

I also think BE could rise up if challenged by another receiver in a spirited competition among teammates ... that person doesn't exist on our roster or hasn't been given a chance if he does.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Intensity is virtually even across every NFL team.

What we can't do is match up talent wise, and when one force overpowers another force, the winning force appears to have more intensity.

I agree for the most part here, but intensity is also a coachable offense (pun not intended, but then intended,.... )

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Shaun could be an animal if truly motiviated to make a difference. If he thought we were contenders I think we would see a more spirited Rogers.

Case in point............players who are winning are more "up" than are players on losing teams.

One needs only look at the first two games of this year. We were in them both at half-time, and appeared to be matching the other teams intensity. Once our offense folded, the defensive "intensity" waned, and we got the L.

It's about confidence and winning. Sure, you can have a few players who are slightly more passionate about the game, but across the entire roster, intensity is even between teams. It's nothing more than a case of teams who are winning have a reason to show intensity. Teams getting their butts kicked are down, and thus don't show any intensity.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's a game of emotion.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Shaun could be an animal if truly motiviated to make a difference. If he thought we were contenders I think we would see a more spirited Rogers.

Case in point............players who are winning are more "up" than are players on losing teams.

One needs only look at the first two games of this year. We were in them both at half-time, and appeared to be matching the other teams intensity. Once our offense folded, the defensive "intensity" waned, and we got the L.

It's about confidence and winning. Sure, you can have a few players who are slightly more passionate about the game, but across the entire roster, intensity is even between teams. It's nothing more than a case of teams who are winning have a reason to show intensity. Teams getting their butts kicked are down, and thus don't show any intensity.

If that's true, we'd better suck it up and keep our intensity high for second half of games or we're going to quickly become Detroit this year.

#GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I know, what the heck is Mangini doing in the locker room during half time where the team comes out every time and gets their butts kicked? The second half is a complete differant team then the one still competing in the first half. Is it the lack of motivation from the coaching staff? I hear NFL players say all the time that if you get to this level, you shouldnt need motivation. Maybe its the coaching staff not making the right adjustments at the half. Nobody on here can awnser that question because none of us see what goes on during the half in a NFL locker room.

Like most of the responses on this subject, its all speculation and guesses because as fans we cant judge or rank intensity. The cameras dont show whats going on in the locker room or on the sidelines. I dont see any QBs on the sideline pumping up teammates or taliking to players and coaches on how to make it right. I see DA smirking when Quinn struggles and Quinn usually slumping on the bench. I dont see players helping each other out on the sidelines. DA didnt talk to Quinn on the sidelines like he did with the other QBs. On other teams I see the QBs being a leader talking to the defense, the o-line. the WRs, etc... The starting QB shouldnt be slumped by himself on the bench. How is that correcting anything to better themselves.

Legend
Legend
I agree,..you win with people.

That is a broad brush,...it's a lot deeper than most of us want to admit.

Legend
Legend
Perhaps a lack of mental toughness? We do not have enough heart and fire. And we do not learn from mistakes (or we allow them to remain uncorrected). I think losing seasons help; it gets easier to explain way losses. Some places demand wins. NE, Pukesborg, and others. We have a new tradition. It doesn't ask much but show up, put in your time, mail it in, and be too good potentially to bench. We play favorites and prop up some pets of some coaches way too long.
I feel there is no substitute for winning. The fire from a big hit, big plays, and team wins makes something happen that infects the next week's practice, game and season to a degree. But a leetle more poison in the waterhole each week will kill anyone and everyone eventually. We are avoiding contact, blowing coverages, etc. It all stinks now. Leave it alone and it will die its own miserable death eventually, sadly alone. Have a nice day.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How come the Browns can't match intensity?

Link Copied to Clipboard