Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6233479.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;5

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpotPosted Oct 16, 2009 5:25 pm PT
Lawyer for "Big Dawg" tells local paper that litigation over Madden NFL 09 appearance will be resolved, dismissed in coming weeks.

Last month, Electronic Arts won the dismissal of a lawsuit brought against it by legendary Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown. This month, the publisher appears to be on the verge of putting another Browns-related bit of litigation behind it, as the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that a suit brought against EA by Browns superfan John Big Dawg Thompson is on the verge of resolution.

Terms were not disclosed, but court observers expect it to be at least seven figures of Kibbles & Bits.
The paper cites Thompson's lawyer as saying the case will be dismissed within weeks. While the terms of the dismissal are confidential, Thompson's lawyer said his client was happy to have the case behind him.

Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural Hall of Fans class in 1999, the Big Dawg character sports a bug-eyed dogface mask, orange hardhat, oversize dog bone, and a Browns jersey with the number "98." A similarly outfitted fan wearing a "92" jersey can be seen in Madden NFL 09 in the same section of the Cleveland Browns stadium where Thompson appears during the team's home games.

In the original suit, Thompson had been seeking damages in excess of $25,000 and that EA be prevented from selling the game or using the Big Dawg persona without permission in the future.

Eat it Phil...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

so if i see someone that kind of looks like me in a video game I can sue? Did he hand make his mask? I'm sure the people who created that mask is more worthy of the suit than the person who dons it saying it is his persona...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
Legend
This is worth $25,000??? Really?

My brother is in the NCAA games, as they cycle through actual pictures of college fans. It's not even his likeness, it's him!

Cha-ching!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This is worth $25,000??? Really?

My brother is in the NCAA games, as they cycle through actual pictures of college fans. It's not even his likeness, it's him!

Cha-ching!

personally i'd be more gloating about the fact that i'm in a video game than trying to get money from it... but i guess some people are just in it for the money.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming Cleveland Browns fan's suit against EA soon over

Link Copied to Clipboard