Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
My buddy was talking about wanting to dress up as Frankenstein from the movie Death Race for Halloween but he can't seem to find the mask.

Me being a pretty artistic person I figured I would try and make it myself. My question is what would you guy's suggest I make it out of? I was thinking of maybe making a paper one using plaster of paris and then paintign it with a fiberglass resin to strenghten it up. That is my first idea.

Another idea I had was carving it out of wood but I don't think I wanna devote that much time to it. Also thought of shaping some metal but I have never tried that before, always wanted to just have never tried.

Any thought's? What do you think would be the easiest way?

F
Legend
Legend
F
I would try tin foil and duct tape.

Just layer heavy tin foil 3-5 layers thick and press it to his face to get the shape, then cover with duct tape for strength.

We used to use a little use a little plaster to make a smooth effect when needed, but usually just put paint on heavy to fill the tape edges.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just layer heavy tin foil 3-5 layers thick and press it to his face to get the shape, then cover with duct tape for strength.

Then watch as he stops breathing.

yebat' Putin
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Looking at a few pics online...I remember the mask but wanted a closer look....you could probably pick up a cheap Jason Hockey mask to use as a foundation. You could then cover the secondary holes and build up with with thin layers of tissue and the resin ending with a full coat of the resin.....then painting...

Personaly I would use the hockey mask as a base...build up with clay to make a mold to pour a plaster positive to build negatives, etc, etc.......but that is getting a bit overboard for a mask that will probably get trashed after a single night...lol

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Crayola has this great product called "Air-Dry Clay" ... you can find it at Target, usually in the school supply section. You can mold it and form it quite easily. Then wait a day, and it hardens into a finished product. From there you can paint it or decorate as you like.

I did a Darth Maul costume years and years ago, and used this stuff for the horns. Shaved my head, and then used this latex-glue (can't think of the name of it, but any costume shop should have it) to stick them to my head. Got an artist friend to do the face paint, and had one of the best costumes in town that night.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thanks man the air dry clay seems the way to go.

I'll give that a whirl.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Question for you artistic folks.

Link Copied to Clipboard