Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/11/reports_of_cleveland_browns_hi.html

Reports of Cleveland Browns hiring Ernie Accorsi are false
By Tony Grossi
November 03, 2009, 9:25AM
CLEVELAND -- Former Browns General Manager Ernie Accorsi is not part of the reorganization of the club's football operations, he said this morning.

Accorsi, who last served as general manager of the New York Giants, said he is "happily retired" and has not been in contact with Browns owner Randy Lerner regarding a consultant position.

Accorsi was retained by Lerner in January as a consultant during the Browns' search for a general manager. His top recommendation to Lerner was Dave Gettleman, Giants director of pro personnel. Lerner chose George Kokinis, the preferred choice of coach Eric Mangini.

Kokinis was fired on Tuesday and now Lerner is looking to rebuild his organization again.

"I am not taking any GM job anywhere. Period," Accorsi said. "I am not taking any full-time job. I serve the league office as a consultant. I have consulted in various areas with four NFL clubs the past two years."

Reports that Accorsi would be hired to train former quarterback Bernie Kosar for a GM position are off base, too.

Accorsi, who considers himself a friend of the Lerner family, said he would give advice if called upon, but he has not had recent conversations with Lerner and has no agreement in place.

Well..I was right after all..even though this stuff went haywire..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 11/03/09 10:41 AM.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Glad we got that settled.. Amazing how rumors are started and then taken as fact. By the way.. did u hear I hit the Powerball ?

Legend
Legend
lol, this makes me laugh. Almost everyone (myself included) just buys into things sometimes.

As things were progressing, I tried to reserve judgment or conclusions. Guess I'll have to be more skeptical until we get more concrete reports.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well it was reported and all over the place..soooo we all were fooled for a bit..

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Of course this is written by Tony Grossi, so who really knows....LOL

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I don't like Tony the Tigerless..but I doubt if this were made up.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I knew it was to good to be true. Interesting that he recommended the Giants guy and we went with the Mangini guy...........hmmm haven't heard that before.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Hence the LOL and the

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yesssss..first big mistake..that was the start of giving Manpoleon power..he should never have been the one to choose the GM..

E
Legend
Legend
E
I thought he was the obvious choice even before the rumors of him being hired were upon us.

I thought two obvious TEMP Presidents to right the ship were Ernie and Wolf.

I also thought that if the Long Term President was to be Bernie he would be hired as their Asst and get tutored.

Now who knows what will happen. I don't want to get excited over rumors any longer.

If we are talking about starting OVER...I am think that either Dungy or Holmgren would be hired as that PRESIDENT to build the Ship (my choices that is). And they would hire their choice of HC n GM.

If we are talking about continuity of SOME SORTS - I believe Daboll might or might not be fired??? But we would start off the OFF SEASON by hiring Dave Gettleman - Accorsi's recommendation for GM when this all started. Randy chose not to heed his friends advice and went with the hiring of Mangini and his choice of GM Kokinis.

I think Kokinis is getting a bad rap for his personnel moves specifically the moving of BE n KW2 - surely Bernie see that as a mistake.

But I think both would have been money not well spent. And nothing to build a team around.

So the two directions...Overhaul but with a Strong President making all the hires not Randy...in itself he would be firing himself. He did state that he should evaluate himself and did so only Half Jokingly. Dungy & Holmgren (my choices).

Stay the course and make our Lemonade. Hire the recommended Gettleman with he having the bigger voice and Mangini having to sell him on the course for the Browns to go under his leadership. Keep most of the coaching staff and see how the Mangini program works out. With a short leash possibly just another year to set a positive direction not the 3 I thought a new guy deserves???

JMHO - well one thing is for certain. Randy loves the Browns and wants a winner here!

Also the Intoxication of DA is like Heroin...its gotten into the system of two regimes and pulled it down. For the sake of the Browns I hope we trade him...I don't care if it for a 7th rounder. No more HEROIN!!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Accorsi was retained by Lerner in January as a consultant during the Browns' search for a general manager. His top recommendation to Lerner was Dave Gettleman, Giants director of pro personnel.

Somewhere on here, there is an article posted by Peen that states that Accorsi recommended Kokinis.. Guess he was just one of several recommended..

So there Spoonfed,, do you got it now?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'm not going to hijack my thread but who is Spoonfed and why does his style of posting sound familar????

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Accorsi, who considers himself a friend of the Lerner family, said he would give advice if called upon, but he has not had recent conversations with Lerner and has no agreement in place.

With that said, I'd call Ernie up on the 3rd Saturday in April each year,

or is it friday night this year,

Legend
Legend
I'll IM you so we don't hijack the thread...LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
"there is an article posted by Peen that states that Accorsi recommended Kokinis"

That was simply speculation...also done on this board except that we don't get paid BOZO money like these irresponsible journalist.

The part about Accorsi recommending Gettleman was out of his mouth in an interview via phone by writers today...Grossi spoke to him as did NYTimes and I'm sure several others.

JMHMaking sense of this all. Not emoting just happy something is getting done. As long as we move forward and it brings us closer to WINNING

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
It is entirely possible that i just don't know anything about running a business as large as a football team; Probably because i don't even know how to run a business as large as a lemonade stand.
But, the part of this story that kinda blows my mind is, why would you hire/pay a guy to come in and give you advise then just ignore what he tells you?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just because you ask for advice doesn't mean you have to act on that advice.

I'm sure he didn't ignore the advice. You listen to it and then use that advice to help you make your decision.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So we believe Grossi? Need one, not next year. Go Browns! Go Lerner! Daboll, well . . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Reports of Cleveland Browns hiring Ernie Accorsi are false

Link Copied to Clipboard