Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Paper: Iran tested advanced nuke warhead

U.K. paper says U.N. watchdog has asked Tehran to explain new evidence

Reuters
updated 7:26 a.m. ET, Fri., Nov . 6, 2009

LONDON - The U.N. nuclear watchdog has asked Iran to explain evidence suggesting the Islamic Republic's scientists have experimented with an advanced nuclear warhead design, the Guardian reported in its Friday edition.

The newspaper, citing what it describes as "previously unpublished documentation" from an International Atomic Energy Agency compiled dossier, said Iranian scientists may have tested high-explosive components of a "two-point implosion" device.

The IAEA said in September it has no proof Iran has or once had a covert atomic bomb program.

The Vienna-based IAEA was not immediately available for comment on Thursday.

Iran's Foreign Ministry and the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran were also unavailable for comment when contacted by Reuters.

The IAEA statement in September followed reports from The Associated Press quoting what it called a classified IAEA document saying agency experts agreed Iran now had the means to build atomic bombs and was heading toward developing a missile system able to carry a nuclear warhead.

Secret technology in U.S., Britain
The Guardian report said that even the existence of two-point implosion nuclear warhead technology is officially secret in both the United States and Britain.

The technology allows for the production of smaller and simpler warheads, making it easier to put a warhead on a missile, the newspaper said.

Extracts of the dossier have been published before, but it was not known the dossier included documentation of such a sophisticated warhead, the newspaper said.

U.N. inspectors found "nothing to be worried about" in a first look at a previously secret uranium enrichment site in Iran last month, IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei said in remarks released on Thursday.

ElBaradei also told The New York Times that he was examining possible compromises to unblock a draft nuclear cooperation deal between Iran and three major powers that has foundered over Iranian objections.

A nuclear site, which Iran revealed in September three years after diplomats said Western spies first detected it, added to fears of covert Iranian efforts to develop atom bombs. Iran says it is enriching uranium only for electricity.

Copyright 2009 Reuters. Click for restrictions.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33711466/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

Legend
Legend
Bad news,...(well that's a switch !)

Legend
Legend
"This time you really, really, really, really, really better tell us the truth ........"

Having a potential staging area right next door in Iraq doesn't look so horrible right at this moment ........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The U.N. nuclear watchdog

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
can't tell because the mouth is shut in that pic....but it's important to note that the UN nuclear watchdog has no teeth

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The UN watchdog isn't supposed to have teeth. All it's supposed to do is observe and report. The watchdog has no action available.

Now the U.N Security council has the ability to take action. Which of course they will not do.....ever.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
2nd String
2nd String
Oh, oh, oh. . .

I know how to solve this!

If we just apologize for our country being so terrible and having oppressed the rest of the world forever, they'll stop being naughty. That should work, right? And if it doesn't work, we can just. . . apologize again until it does. That should do it. Yeah, that will get the job done.

Legend
Legend
You left out the part where we give them stuff.

yebat' Putin
2nd String
2nd String
Darn it, I forgot the obligatory money offering that comes with the apology. My bad!

I don't think it matters what we give or what we say, Israel is going to bomb the poop out of Iran before the end of the year. Buy oil stocks and gold stocks!

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
If I were Iran, I would want nuclear weapons.

And if they had them...I honestly wouldn't be too worried. They're historically a pragmatic government. They have a structure, and they're not willing to blow it to rubble just to set off a bomb.

And opposing nuclear weapons are historically conflict deterrents.

2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

And if they had them...I honestly wouldn't be too worried. They're historically a pragmatic government. They have a structure, and they're not willing to blow it to rubble just to set off a bomb.

Have you heard any of Ahmedinijahddid'essdasdfsdfas statements that he wants to erradicate Israel from the face of the planet?. . . that Israel will not exist for too much longer?. . . yada yada yada

Generally, when someone says that kind of stuff at the same time they are trying to build a nuclear bomb, I tend to take them a bit seriously. Considering Mohammad said that Israel will never again exist on this Earth, and the fact that Israel does exist contradicts the Prophet and undermines the entire Muslim religion, along with the fact that Ahmadinipants is a religious nut case, I tend to worry about him.

Then again, if we just apologize . . .

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Have you heard any of Ahmedinijahddid'essdasdfsdfas statements that he wants to erradicate Israel from the face of the planet?. . . that Israel will not exist for too much longer?. . . yada yada yada

Generally, when someone says that kind of stuff at the same time they are trying to build a nuclear bomb, I tend to take them a bit seriously. Considering Mohammad said that Israel will never again exist on this Earth, and the fact that Israel does exist contradicts the Prophet and undermines the entire Muslim religion, along with the fact that Ahmadinipants is a religious nut case, I tend to worry about him.

Ahmadinejad is a figurehead...he has no authority whatsoever when it comes to military operations or launching a bomb or declaring a war. None.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Not to mention I have a feeling he does much of this in order to appeal to his superiors. Or they could have him trumpet it to keep him in office.

There are no sacred cows.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Not to mention I have a feeling he does much of this in order to appeal to his superiors. Or they could have him trumpet it to keep him in office.

Well, the president before him was big on reform. He wanted more of a shift towards democracy and everyone having a say, etc., etc.

This resulted in him eventually being pressured to drop out of the re-election race, which he did.

I can't say why Ahmadinejad does what he does or what his superiors think of him.

But he truly has no bearing in any nuclear or military respect. The Iranian president is little more than a figurehead, and their council, as I said, has been fairly pragmatic and rational since their war with Iran. I mean, don't get me wrong -- they're an ass-backwards looney tune government -- but if they were to obtain nuclear weapons, I wouldn't be all that worried.

IN fact, I think I might be a bit relieved. Despite their unpopularity with many folks, nuclear weapons have historically been a deterrent for violence. There was, of course, the WWII exception...but then again one could say without them, we may have seen WWIII in the 80's.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Iran tested advanced nuke warhead

Link Copied to Clipboard