Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#437148 11/17/09 10:19 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I actually have a few problems, and I'm gonna try and get them all in one post.

1. About half the time I use my laptop, it says that the AC power adapter cannot be determined, and that the laptop will perform at a lower ability and won't charge until I hook up the right type (or something like that).

2. When I first open up firefox, I'll get a message saying that the URL is invalid and cannot be loaded. I've tried reinstalling it, but no dice.

3. What appears to be a virus. Every time I start it up, I get a message saying something about Nielsen Net Ratings, and the computer will sort of go bonkers. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DeepThreat #437149 11/18/09 08:21 AM
Legend
Legend
1. It will either be a loose wire in the power cord, or the socket in the back/side of the computer that the cord plugs into. Cords are relatively cheap to replace, most places won't repair those plugs, they'll want to replace the motherboard instead. If you are comfortable soldering on a motherboard without fear of destroying the thing, you could try to resolder it yourself.

2. This is most likely just the URL that is set as your home page. Go into Preferences/Options and change it.

3. Shotgun approach - hit it with as much stuff as you can. Install a quality Antivirus product (AVG, Kaspersky), Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes Antimalware and run ALL of them. Then reboot into Safe Mode and run ALL of them again until none of them report a problem.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DeepThreat #437150 11/18/09 10:18 AM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Nielsen ratings can be uninstalled.... my father in law somehow got it on his computer... just go to control panel->add/remove programs

"I'm a mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tech Help

Link Copied to Clipboard