Next Thread
Print Thread
#442503 12/06/09 08:55 PM
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Go ahead and delete if need be... But I like what he brings. The only question is his offensive coordinator... other that that I really like his choices so far. Window = +... Edwards = +... I think if we give this guy another year we'll see a team that really competes for a playoff spot. What about you?

"I'm a mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I think he really knows football and can really teach football.

I think his negatives and off field distractions make it much harder to keep him and should get him fired. I think he can be a good coach but he needs to seriously tone down his ego and jackass-ish personality.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Keep manpoleon? Where's a barfing smilie when you need one?

#GMSTRONG
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I'm pretty bipolar on this issue. Some days I want him out, some days I think he deserves another year.

Best case scenario... we hire a smart czar that wants to keep him another year.

"The Browns are a club contenders probably don't want to face right now. Their physicality cannot be questioned."
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Only if the Browns bring in a credible GM/President and he wants him....Plus either Daboll needs to be given full control (last 3-4 weeks?) or if he's had it the whole year then replace him

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
R
Legend
Legend
R
Cue Django in 3...2...1...

I'm undecided.

What we all want is long-term success ... not a flash in the pan. Is he resetting the culture to set us up for that long-term success? Are these the necessary bumps and bruises ... the growing pains ... it's going to take to get there?

All I know is the offense progressed today, and they played hard. No quit. The defense played hard, but they were completely outmatched. I didn't see any quit in the team.

There are some serious head scratchers with Mangini ... Harrison and Robo ... he definitely has some strikes against him.

I can go either way at this point. I like the fact that he demands accountability, wants a team atmosphere, guys fighting for each other ... but I wonder if his ego prevents him from practicing what he preaches.

I think we'll know all we need to know when the czar decides to either keep him or fire him.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ummm. No.

No No No No No.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I can't see the games live so I have to live with what I see on TV. On TV, they only cut to him being stoic and not interacting with anyone on the sidelines. For me personally, that's not what I want to see. I want a guy involved with his players and coaches, involved in the game as it naturally progresses. He needs to be as much of a cheerleader as he is a disciplinarian. I just don't see that in him.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I actually like Mangini and his philosophy.

I think he's getting a really bad rap because he took over a horrible team ......and many fans thought we were the team that merely had a losing record in the second half of last year as opposed to the team that struggled all year long.

People want to talk about the fine for a bittle of water .....but Mangini said that the particular player in questioned had been warned many times about this exact same thing. Do you allow a player to do whatever the hellhe wants despite the rules that apply to everyone else? I don't think so.

The team shows more discipline.Penalties are down. The team lacks in talent ..... and that's something that cannot be corrected in 1 season. Players have struggled with some aspects of the offensive and defensive systems. That much is obvious. How much of that is talent related and how much is a teaching issue, I don't know right now.

I do think that Mangini ndeserves a chance to get this thing headed in the right direction.People talk about how much beter the Jets are this year ...but are they better at this point? I bet the sheen is comig off their new HC as well.

I said it before, and I'llsay it one more time. Talent wins ...and this team lacks talent. Until that changes .....coaching can only do so much.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
He lost the players in less than a full season, which is less than 6 months..

Since day 1 he has been questionable... starting with him first meeting Shaun Rogers and saying that he didnt see him..

The guy is a liar. I don't believe anything he says.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
How has he lost the players?

What evidence do you have showing that?

What has he lied about? (Outside of coachspeak like "tiny little stinger" stuff while the player looks for the rest of his leg)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Harrison and Robo.. you don't think they needed someone to step in and say... "We need better."? I do... My best coaches allways showed me who was boss... I needed that. Some players don't, but maybe they do?

I like his philosophy on players... smart... tough... football oriented...

He can teach it... why not give him some time? The only pic questionable from last year in my opinion is Veikune.. though its really early on him. So why not give him another year?

B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
That's redic... "in less than six months?"

Shaun Rogers has shown nothing but love for Mangini... What make's you think he quit.

We need some stability and direction... Mangini is it. Please, please stop calling for his head. This guy can actually coach.

D
1st String
1st String
D
Let me make this clear....
I HATED IT when we traded Winslow for no apparent reason.
I HATED IT when we traded Edwards without having a bonafide WR to replace him.
I HATED IT when we had the quarterback carousel between Anderson and Quinn.
I HATED IT when we traded down to 21st pick to get an average center.
There are many more reasons to not like Mangini.... BUT....
It's the eleventh season for rebuilding. Do we really want a 12th?... a 13th?...
As much as I dislike Mangini, I really think he deserves a chance to implement his game plan.
Maybe... just Maybe... he REALLY HAS a productive long term philosophy.
Marvin Lewis and the Bengals were the Pits for quite a while. Now look at em. The Cardinals were terrible forever... went to the Superbowl last year.
The Dolphins were 1-15, and turned that franchise around the following year.
Like it or not, (and I don't) we owe it to Mangini, the Browns and the Fans to give him another year to show everyone what he has in mind.
Otherwise...
another rebuilding year.

Last edited by dawgbreath01; 12/06/09 09:58 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The Dolphins were 1-15, and turned that franchise around the following year.

uhh.....they fired their 1st year HC that offseason (Cameron), and hired a czar to clean up the mess (Parcells). He then brought in his own people and the next year they had the big turn around.

Bad example for keeping Mangini bro..lol.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
It's another re-building year regardless if it is Mangini or Jesus Christ himself....the question is do you think Mangini is the best person to guide the team?

Maybe as coach....MAYYYYBBE....but never as football gestapo that he's been this year

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No.

The team has gone from a marginal/poor team to a doormat team under his direction.

His reliance on players that know his system (e.g. the Jets cast-off club), versus players that can actually play suggests that he believes a superior scheme is better than superior talent. This is a problem.

A smarter person may have realized that Moore could have helped on the team, than running practice squad plays.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I think he really knows football and can really teach football.

I think his negatives and off field distractions make it much harder to keep him and should get him fired. I think he can be a good coach but he needs to seriously tone down his ego and jackass-ish personality.

What good is it if he KNOWS football...but can't really TEACH it..by that I mean REACHING his players

a HC has to be respected by the players: EM is not already....he's disqualified right there.....then come his other numerous shortcomings like: can't motivate, 0 adjustments, 0 creativity, bad game managing (playing not to lose constantly)

I really don't see where he's a decent COACH....I'd really like to read a list of his pros....please

He knows football...so what? so do many other guys in the NFL.....he lacks the rest = he's a bad coach

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
The Lerners have a proven track record of being incompetent at running an NFL franchise evidenced by their personnel decisions of the past ten years.

I have no confidence that Randy Lerner can make the right choice for football "czar" based upon his performance thus far.

Eleven picks next April and I'm convinced we don't have the proper leadership to maximize the opportunity.

If I am wrong, I will be thrilled.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Honestly, I've been leaning towards keeping Mangini.

Here is how I look at it though:

1.) You can not believe one work the Media says, because the negatives sell, no matter how true they are, or what the facts are.

2.) Under RAC, everything was so easy going and the players got too relaxed. With the Sudden change under Mangini, the players don't like it and are not used to it, which would lead to more retaliation and negative "rumors" being floated to the media.

The drastic change has affected a lot of the former RAC Players. Now, how many of Mangini's Jets have complained or have given up on any play? While it is true they are not the greatest players, and this team lacks talent, but this team plays hard and doesn't give up.

If Mangini has changed that much with his players in just 8 Months, what could he do with two years? Mangini has changed over half of this roster, and he's not going to stop changing players until every player is "his guy", hence the numerous "Try Outs" during the Regular Season.

Also, what doesn't help, anything that Mangini does, gets scrutinized and blown out of proportion, while there are numerous Coaches that have done some of the same things.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I think I've just about seen it all.

A Keep Mangini thread?

Wow, just wow.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Id be fine with keeping Mangini, I really think every coach should get their 3 years. From what I see on the field I dont buy that he has lost the team. And I like his philosophy. But We need a GM who manages the roster actively. And truly has final say. No more ex jets or Mangini boys. Unless they are an upgrade.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

How has he lost the players?

What evidence do you have showing that?

I have not heard that either, if that was the case I would think the Cleveland media would be intimating that to put it lightly.

I HATED the selection of Mangini from the get-go. I don't think we did our due diligence and if they let him go tomorrow I really would not care one iota.

However, I don't think he will be fired. As much as I don't like the coach that he is, he will more than likely get a year two to continue whatever the hell it is that he plans on doing. Not many coaches are one and done.

IF Lerner manages to hire a new GM/Czar, it would be in this franchises' best interest to get a guy who has a STRONG backbone and is not the empty shirt Kokinis was. A tough guy who can stand down Mangini. Get that type of guy and I would feel a bit better. Not by much though.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

The team has gone from a marginal/poor team to a doormat team under his direction.

This team was not marginal at the end of last year. They were an absolute doormat. The problems we see this year were evident at the end of last year; poor right side of the offensive line and lack of weapons on offense. The defense also could not stop anyone. Worse, according to the Fox Sports website, they had the fourth highest payroll in the league. So they had a terrible team with no cap room.

This means they have to completely overhaul the roster. This is almost impossible without some growing pains. It also means that you end up signing cheap veterans that know your system so that they can teach it to younger, more talented players that will come along as well as holdovers from previous regimes.

I would be fine if the czar gave him another year; there is not a single coach in the world that would've had success under these circumstances this year, so how do we really know how good of a job he is capable of?

Last edited by tjs7; 12/07/09 12:51 AM.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Could you post a link to that cap info?

[Linked Image]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I HATED IT when we traded Edwards without having a bonafide WR to replace him.

Were you in favor of franchising Edwards after the season .....or dd you want to lose him and get nothing in return?

Edwards is what he is ...... a talented player with major inconsistencies.

Besides .....6 or 7 games into this season did it appear to you that Edwards' continued presence would contribute to a winning team? It didn't to me. He looked like part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Interesting. Thank you.

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
And you think I'm looney for liking Campbell over Quinn

Mangini can't be here next year, and that's coming from a guy who liked the hire, who defends him against unfair criticism, and who thinks he's getting a little bit of a bad rap.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Keep Mangini Thread...

Link Copied to Clipboard