11/16 Ravens 9-7 Wildcard Playoff
11/22 Lions 2-14 Almost unforgivable loss
11/29 Bengals 10-6 Wildcard Playoff team
12/6 Chargers 13-3 Playoffs / 2nd best record in AFC

12/10 Steelers 9-7
12/20 Chiefs 4-12
12/27 Raiders 5-11
1/3 Jaguars 7-9

The 2009 Browns played seven games against Playoff teams.
They lost only two games to sub-.500 teams (Bears & Lions)
They beat four sub-.500 teams and split with the Steelers.

Looking back it turned out to be a pretty rough schedule in that we played SEVEN playoff teams in the first twelve weeks of the season. That would be a lot for the Colts to deal with let alone a team that was hoping to get to .500.

In contrast the Colts only played two playoff teams in their first twelve weeks (and only three on the year). The Eagles only played three playoff teams in the first twelve weeks (and four on the season). The Vikings face 3 playoff teams in the first twelve weeks and five overall. The Cowboys faced 2 and a total of five.

That means that the 2009 Browns faced as many playoff teams in the first twelve weeks as the Colts, Cowboys, and Vikings COMBINED.

I think that's kind of shocking when you look back and consider it.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
interesting, definately something to think about when someone says "you are what your record says you are"

Legend
Legend
Also goes to show how "far away" any team really ISN'T in the NFL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I prefer to look at what a teams record was when we played them rather than how they finish the season. Anything can happen, as is evident by our winning streak at the end, and just because a team makes the playoffs doesn't mean they are all that good (the Bengals come to mind here).

Also, given our learning "process" through 3/4 of the season, I think we could have lost to the crappy teams just as easily.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

In contrast the Colts only played two playoff teams in their first twelve weeks (and only three on the year).

Gift horse...I'm not sure what your trying to say but your assumption on the Colts vs playoff competition is off a little off. IMO, the Colts played a pretty tough schedule. Also, if you check out the division** the Colts play in, the AFC South, it's one of the toughest in the NFL, based on W-L records....**posted below the schedule

Colts schedule
1. Jacksonville..7-9
2. Miami...7-9
3. Arizona...10-6..playoffs
4. Seattle...5-11
5. Tenn...8-8
6. Bye
7. St Louis...1-15
8. SF...8-8
9. Houston...9-7
10. N.E....10-6..playoffs
11. Balt...9-7..playoffs
12. Houston...9-7
13. Tenn...8-8
14. Denver...8-8
15. Jackson...7-9
16. N.Y. Jets...9-7..playoffs
17. Buff...6-10

**AFC SOUTH
Indy........14-2
Houston...9-7
Tenn........8-8
Jackson...7-9

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I'm saying that the Colts are WAY better than us and I think we played a tougher schedule overall. I'm also trying to highlight that our first twelve weeks was among the toughest in the NFL.

A lot of bad karma developed between EM and the fans those first twelve weeks - in part due to the tough schedule and the loses. Maybe a good portion of that was unfair.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I kind of thought the same thing a couple of years ago in Romeo's last year. But to be fair, the 10-6 season we played a weaker schedule. All said, you can't control who you play, and how they are doing. We know we have 6 games in the division, and if you build a team to win in your division, then you will probably have a team that wins outside of your division. 1-5 in our division is a tough pill to swallow. However, as badly as I was against Mangini, if you add Holmgren and a good gm, I'm not feeling as bad about Mangini. I don't believe in one person having total control. Butch proved that, and mangini was doing the same. The more football minds you have atop an organization, the better the way I see it.
The best thing about having a guy like holmgren as president is the fact that the power struggles will come to a halt, because Holmgren is the man. People answer to him. If Lerner is smart, that is the way it will stay. He'll keep his office in Berea, and use it about as much as Tony Soprano used his office Barone Sanitation, and let the football men run his football operation.

Finally, The Maskedman has come back, to the true Cleveland Browns Message Board.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think it matters how you stacked our schedule, we weren't going to be very good.. but, BUT... if we could have had a couple games in those first four like the Chiefs and Raiders instead of 3 playoff teams and a 4th team that was playing as well as anybody at the time it would have given this team a chance to build some confidence and it would have taken a lot of the heat off of Mangini and the team in general... Like I said, I don't think it would have equated to a bunch more wins, but possibly a couple... given the sports I played at my level and the more I hear pros talk about it the more I am convinced that CONFIDANCE can be a huge thing and this team had every ounce of it's confidance sucked out in the first 4 weeks.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Confidence,...definitely one of those things that has nothing to do with pure athletic talent, and is truly a coachable aspect.

I don't buy into "talent level differences" as much as I would leadership and coaching philosophies. Not saying the Browns are as physically football talented as anyone else in the League, that of course is not true. I just think at this level, after all of the funnelling and weeding out that is done from Pee-Wee through College ball, the mental things are half the battle.

Legend
Legend
Absolutely... you look at a team like the Colts or the Patriots or even the Steelers (possibly up until this year)... and if it was a close game in the final few minutes, they just looked like they were going to win. they layed with a level of confidence that you thought they couldn't lose... compared to teams like the Browns, put in the same situation they play like they are afraid to lose...

That is another thing that made that 4th quarter drive against the Jags so impressive, the Browns, for the first time in forever, actually looked like a team that was not going to lose.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
131-125 SOS schedule = average, we went 5-11 = bad with an average schedule....doesn't get much easier in the NFL

Nice try but this year's schedule was much easier than last years and we haven't improved in relation to the SOS...pretty much the bottom line or should I call it "Parcells result" of what I saw...no improvement from a bad team Mangini inherited.

Took a bad team, made it unwatchable and then back to 1 trick pony bad which was good enough against some dead teams at the end of the season = we're still there where he picked this mess up

We still need a WR and ILB although he spent 3 1st day picks and several FAs on those positions (and by need I mean MAJOR needs)....we need a S more than ever although he brought in Elam, Ventrone and (dare I say it) Furrey (another MAJOR need)....we need a RG and RT...a TE...a OLB pass rusher....a CB...although...FA...you get the drift

He made this roster much older....and outside of Mack we have no players he brought in that any of us would want starting 2 years from now (Massa is debatable...but you guys know what I think of him)

Some backup/developmental players (Benard, Moore) and lots of ST (Trusnik, Ventrone, Costanzo etc) and has beens or better: never beens (Womack, StClair, Royal, Poteat, Barton, Furrey)

Look at who were our key players and/or improved the most: Thomas, Cribbs, Harrison, Wright and Rubin....then Mack.....1 Mangini guy after turning over 50% of the roster

Yeah, let's keep him

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think it matters how you stacked our schedule, we weren't going to be very good.. but, BUT... if we could have had a couple games in those first four like the Chiefs and Raiders instead of 3 playoff teams and a 4th team that was playing as well as anybody at the time it would have given this team a chance to build some confidence and it would have taken a lot of the heat off of Mangini and the team in general... Like I said, I don't think it would have equated to a bunch more wins, but possibly a couple... given the sports I played at my level and the more I hear pros talk about it the more I am convinced that CONFIDANCE can be a huge thing and this team had every ounce of it's confidance sucked out in the first 4 weeks.

I agree with you that it wouldn't have made a huge difference in total wins, it just might have made the first part of the season more fun.

And confidence is what this team has been lacking since it's return. Someone else mentioned that the Jags game had a feeling to it where the Browns just weren't going to accept anything less than a win.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

doesn't get much easier in the NFL

SEVEN playoff teams in the first twelve weeks and it doesn't get much easier.

Who's going to buy that? Some of the stuff you say just cracks me up. Do you really believe that there are people gullible enough to buy that??

Please post the list of all the teams that faced SEVEN playoff teams in the first twelve weeks....

average too funny...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This thread is exactly why I never buy into preseason ratings if schedules. SOS at the beginning of the year is BS. I heard a Pittsburgh talking head say that last year the Steelers played one of the toughest schedules in history.....what a freaking joke. They beat a 9-7 team in San Diego in the playoffs. Then they beat the Ravens, who weren't bad. Then went to the super bowl against a team that finished 9-7.

If you look back, there season wasn't any harder than ours. You could also make a point about them playing us so that makes it easier. My point is, last year was last year, and to believe otherwise is nonsense.

Django is a stat freak, so I can see him using preseason SOS in his favor. But at the end of the year is the only way to see how strong a schedule really was.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Part of the reason that the Ravens and Cincy are in the playoffs are that they both beat the Browns twice, If the Browns had split against them, we may be looking at different playoff teams, altogether. Houston and Jacksonville could have made the playoffs, then the premise of the argument would fall apart completely.

It can be hard to make superficial judgments based on statistics alone, The Browns were last in the NFL in offense, but 8th in rushing offense, If Harrision and Jennings had played all year, the Browns would probably still had been near the bottom, but with more victories.

For various reasons, down, distance, time of possession, 150 yards rushing a game, is the same as passing for 270.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Who's going to buy that? Some of the stuff you say just cracks me up. Do you really believe that there are people gullible enough to buy that??

Please post the list of all the teams that faced SEVEN playoff teams in the first twelve weeks....

average too funny...

Funny dude....but pretty clueless...we faced 7 PO teams in 16 games...I don't care WHEN we faced them....7 games against PO teams is, AGAIN, pretty average by math since 12 out of 32 team ARE int he POs, you know

Also, going 1-11 in this stretch doesn't make things really better....and SOS is SOS, there's just no way around it...ours was 131-125, that's again by math pretty average...there ARE enough teams out there that faced opponents with more wins...you do know that, do you?

We had an average schedule....compare it to last season's schedule

#gmstrong

T
Legend
Legend
T
As for finding an easier schedule, They didn't beat the DETROIT LIONS.

If the Browns had won all of their games, then their opponents who beat them would all have one more loss, and then might not make the playoffs.

So I don't buy that argument. Espcially after the schedule last year which was even tougher in my opinion.

A Browns fanbase shouldn't make excuses, it is unbecoming!
Browns fans are supposed to be the best, most knowledgable, loyal, die hard, Rabid, informed and able to recognize good football, in the NFL.

Otherwise they might as well just be fans of some other team. It is not alright to "SPIN" this that the Browns need an easier schedule.
What are you prepared to settle for?
This is the NFL, we are supposed to be watching the best football on the planet earth.
That is why winning means so much.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

average too funny...

Funny dude....but pretty clueless...we faced 7 PO teams in 16 games...I don't care WHEN we faced them....7 games against PO teams is, AGAIN, pretty average by math since 12 out of 32 team ARE int he POs, you know

Also, going 1-11 in this stretch doesn't make things really better....and SOS is SOS, there's just no way around it...ours was 131-125, that's again by math pretty average...there ARE enough teams out there that faced opponents with more wins...you do know that, do you?

We had an average schedule....compare it to last season's schedule

I'll keep it short in hopes of you "getting it".

Our year-end-total SOS was average. Our first twelve games SOS was brutal. Our last four games SOS was below average - which has a direct connection to a four game win streak. Likewise, the brutal 12 has a direct relationship to our terrible start.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I honestly wonder what our record would have been if we had Matt Roth the whole year, Marcus Benard on the active roster all year instead of Alex Hall, and Harrison starting all year.

While I don't think it's a winning record through 12 games, it's not 1-11, my guess.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Our year-end-total SOS was average. Our first twelve games SOS was brutal. Our last four games SOS was below average - which has a direct connection to a four game win streak. Likewise, the brutal 12 has a direct relationship to our terrible start.

So, where's your problem with my post? All I said was based on the WHOLE season...I don't care for streaks or SOS in certain months....we had an average SOS and a bad record....that's what you laughed at me and now acknowledge...

case closed

#gmstrong

O
Legend
Legend
O
You say you don't care about "certain months", but the certain months he's talking about was the first 3/4 of the season.

That's a lot.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum A Look Back at the 2009 Schedule

Link Copied to Clipboard