Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
You know him, most loved him at one point and he requested a trade a few weeks ago.

Troy Smith

He's a restricted fa so we would have to trade for him but we could get him pretty cheap, he was drafted in the 5th round and hasn't played very much to warrant giving up alot.

I personally think he would be worth bringing in just for a few simple facts. He's a pretty accurate passer, strong arm, can scramble, we could get him cheap, he would absolutely love to play here and he's a hometown boy.

His main question is his size, but theres a short QB that manages just fine and thats Drew Brees, as un-fair of a comparison is that is to Brees.

Anderson or Quinn won't be here next year and I don't know about you but i'm not excited about having Ratliff as a backup. We can bring in Smith and let him compete for the job, if he doesn't win it then he would be a pretty descent backup at virtually no cost. If he does win it and lights it up then it's genius.

Thoughts?

Legend
Legend
I'd take him for a 4th or our latest 3rd if needed. I think Baltimore offers him the highest tender though... it's really not that much and he's too valuable to their team as the backup. It's an uncapped year so his salary won't be a concern from a cap standpoint, either.

He has shown himself to be adequate as a QB in the NFL when given the chance.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I don't think they would ask for the highest tender because nobody would give the highest tender and Smith has made it pretty clear he does not want to be back.

It would definately be something I would like to keep an eye on.

If i'm understanding this right, No matter what they offer him he has the choice to sign the tender. If he signs too high of a tender then nobody is going to trade for him. But if a team offers him the lowest tender he can sign it just to get out of Baltimore but then Baltimore can match it.....Now does he have to sign off on that or does he have no choice but to stay with Baltimore?

Or is it no matter what we offer him if they don't match it we give them a 5th round pick, now if they sign him to a higher tender if we want to match that we have to give a higher pick ?

This stuff is confusing.

Last edited by Cleveland_clutch; 01/07/10 01:19 AM.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Well first off if baltimore matches, then no matter what he wants he has to stay.

As for tenders, it depends. How high of a tender decides what compensation would be. It could go from nothing, to matching the fifth, all the way up to a 1st and 3rd rounder

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't think they would ask for the highest tender because nobody would give the highest tender and Smith has made it pretty clear he does not want to be back.

Not only that, but highest tender would be a pretty big salary for someone who doesn't see the field much.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about we trade DA for Smith straight up?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Am I in the Tailgate Lot???

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Am I in the Tailgate Lot???

Feels more like the Land of the Lost!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not only that, but highest tender would be a pretty big salary for someone who doesn't see the field much.

Here are the tenders. Looking at the numbers I could definitely see a good backup QB getting the 2nd-round or 1st-round tender, making him expensive to untouchable. The thing about RFA tenders (as opposed to tags) is that they are position-independent.

Quote:

The tender amounts for RFA’s in 2010 if an uncapped year are:

1. Right of First Refusal – No Draft Compensation: $1,176,000

2. Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round: $1,176,000 or 110% of the players prior year salary whichever is the greater

3. Right of First Refusal and One Second Round Draft Selection: $1,759,000 or 110% of the player’s prior year salary whichever is greater

4. Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: $2,521,000 or 110% of the player’s prior year salary whichever is greater

5. Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection $3,168,000 or 110% of the player’s prior year salary whichever is greater

From Scout.com

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
All that stuff aside if we could get him for anywhere between the Jets 3rd round pick to a 5th round pick would anybody want to bring him in?

Legend
Legend
If Mangini is gone, like most expect... then Ratliff is totally expendable, Mangini brought him here and that is his only link to this team.

As far as Troy Smith... Ozzie said he regrets losing DA a few years back so I wouldn't have a problem seeing if he still feels that way.

I would not be opposed to going into the season with Quinn/Smith competing for the job. I think Smith might actually win the job.. he's mobile, from what I remember he throws well on the move which is essential for a WCO QB.. yea, he's only 6' tall... and I know I love the image of the 6'5" QB poised in the pocket throwing darts.. but that's not an absolute necessity to winning... Steve Young was only 6'2", Montana was 6'2", Jeff Garcia was 6'1", Brees is only 6'0 tall... they all had just a little bit of success in the WCO...

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
Legend
T
He was as good as Quinn coming out of college, stats wise and his team actually BEAT their rivals.

AS LONG! As his name is not TATE, or CLAUSSEN, then I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I for one Sure do not want ANY player from Notre Dame in this years draft. Notre Dame, I hate them, so Just say No to Notre Dame players, not out of my hate for them, but because their football games are one bad team playing another bad team.

Just say no to the overhyped.
What do I know, I said Alex smith and Aaron Rodgers would be busts as a franchise quarterback but especially Aaron Rogers.

Aaron Rodgers will Bust, I Will Be Proven Right, Give it time.

And the QB, WR from ND this year will not be good either.

Troy Smith, well he could be as good as or better than Quinn,,, but what does that mean?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Ummm....this is sarcasm right?

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Ummm....this is sarcasm right?

I certainly hope so.

S
Legend
Legend
S
would love to see the browns take a chance on troy smith, i think a third is too high to give up a pick though for a guy who could easily fail at the position as much as he could succeed. we need our picks. a 5th? i'm listenin...

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Jesus...........April 1st sure did get here quick..................

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum A QB to maybe take a look at.

Link Copied to Clipboard