Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#459564 01/31/10 01:42 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I was very disappointed that Pacquiao refused to the drug testing and ultimately ended the chances of him fighting Mayweather, but this is just as big.

Shane Mosley will fight Floyd Mayweather Junior on May, 1st.

It will be a clash between multi-division champions and two of the biggest names in boxing.

The fight will feature arguably the two best American boxers below the middleweight limit of the last fifteen years.

Los Angeles based Golden Boy Promotions will put their marketing machine to work and at least one million viewers will tune into the event broadcast on HBO pay per view.

But when the viewers - live and those watching in from home - walk away from Mayweather vs. Mosley, will the be entertained?

Is this fight must watch television?

From a historical perspective, boxing fans will flock to this fight due to the fact that both men have had decorated careers and are Hall of Fame bound.

Mosley, 38 years old and representing Pomona, California, is the owner of a record that stands at 45 wins and 5 losses, 75 percent of his victories have come by the way of knock-out. The man who has been dubbed "Sugar", has held world titles in the lightweight, welterweight, and junior middleweight classes.

Yet, Mosley is not known for creating the sort of action in the ring that creates instant classics or fight of the years. Hand speed and holding have been the calling card of Mosley in recent years.

Mayweather, fighting out of Las Vegas, Nevada, with a fighting record of 40 wins and no losses, and has held titles in the super featherweight,lightweight, junior welterweight, and welterweight, and junior middleweight classes.

Though technically brilliant, and almost a perfect boxer, Mayweather's style - punctuated by brilliant defense and counter-punching, is not conducive to barn burners or television friendly action.

So while their pedigrees cannot be questioned, the fight looks to be another boxing event with a huge build-up and small pay-off for the fans.

Will either man let caution fly into the May Las Vegas sky and push the fight, then finding a willing partner across the ring?

Highly unlikely.

Hit Em Up

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I used to love boxing, especially the great welterweight / middlewight battles from the 80's with guys like Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Arguello, Pryor, etc, and some of their epic matchups. Arguello and Duran were my favorites.

But either boxing changed or I changed - maybe it was the pay-per-view, maybe it was the alphabet soup of boxing associations, maybe it was the mutiplicity of weight divisions (putting "super" or "junior" in front of any given weight class) to add more championship bouts, or maybe it was the sleaze factor and the brutal thuggishness of Don King and Mike Tyson. I just stopped paying attention.

All that aside, how do Mosley and Mayweather stack up with the great welters and middles I mentioned above?

Legend
Legend
Boxing has been dying for awhile, and Mayweather destroyed the last possible great drawing fight we'll ever see.

All the talk about Pacman should just do the testing, I don't think Floyd ever really wanted to fight him, and knowing Pac's superstitions, did something that would help him get out of it.

Now hopefully later this year they can fight anyways, so that Pac can prove he's a better fighter, and destroy Floyd.

This fight, and Pacs are nothing to me.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

guys like Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Arguello, Pryor, etc

Can't believe I forgot Thomas Hearns - maybe one of the top 5 pound-for-pound fighters of all time.

Legend
Legend
Leonard - Hearns 1 was the first PPV I ever purchased and still the best fight I've ever seen. It was back in the 15 round championship days and those last three rounds were always exciting.

Now boxing wants to serve us up Mayweather vs. Mosley? We've gone from the Thrilla in Manilla and the Rumble in the Jungle to The Sleazer vs. the Geezer. Does anyone really care to see this fight, enough to pay for it?

Boxing, good luck with this one, I think I'll take my wife out to dinner that night instead.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

guys like Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Arguello, Pryor, etc

Can't believe I forgot Thomas Hearns - maybe one of the top 5 pound-for-pound fighters of all time.

Does Mancini get a prop here or I am thinking too light a weight class ?

D
Legend
Legend
D
IIRC, Mancini was a lightweight, but Duran and Arguello were both lightweights early in their careers. I liked Boom-Boom - great puncher, great heart, but a bit of a bleeder that absorbed too much punishment - not a great defensive boxer. For that reason, I don't think I'd list him with the greats. But, no doubt, the guy could certainly punch.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Hopefully Floyd 'The Mallard' Mayweather will lose to Mosely.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

But either boxing changed or I changed

Boxing changed.

I think it could one day achieve national prominence again, but only if there's a single, credible governing body.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

then Floyd gets an instant rematch...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Quote:

Quote:

then Floyd gets an instant rematch...

I wonder what criteria Floyd would ask for if they rematch. Maybe Mosely will have to wear a muumuu and sing Copa Cabana or Floyd won't fight.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

either boxing changed or I changed

It's both for me.

And don't forget all this ultimate fighting stuff. Humanity always, for the most part, gravitates towards violence. Boxing was always big because it was the closest thing we had to gladiators killing each other for entertainment back in ancient Rome. This more brutal stuff brought us all that much closer . . .

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well, Mayweather may not be the most exciting guy to watch, but he's about as technically sound as you'll ever see in a boxer. Which is why he's undefeated. I think you can without a doubt speak his name in the same sentence as your 80's middleweights.

Mosely is somewhat similar, but I've seen him swing for the fences a lot more than Mayweather. I actually like Shane and will be pulling for him in this fight. He completely destroyed Antonio Margarito about a year ago (I think it was last January).

I know everyone wanted Mayweather-Pacman, but this is the next best thing.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Mosley used to be a great fighter to watch , one of my personal favorites but he will get taken apart by Mayweather . Mayweather is one of the greatest fighters of all time for a reason .

N
Legend
Legend
N

i was excited about Mayweather vs. PacMan.....

at least I get to save $50

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Floyd not signed for Mosely

More drama than boxing anymore.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Mayweather vs Mosely

Link Copied to Clipboard