Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Legend
Legend
C
Same here. I got my hopes up for Clay Matthews, especially when we traded down.

Legend
Legend
I'm starting to think that Eric Berry will actually fall to us at 7.

Seattle and the Chiefs could get him, but I think they focus on offense... either o-line for both. and then Seattle could go RB and get the best RB this year in CJ Spiller. I think Carrol starts his tenure off with a very fast RB.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can't imagine Spiller going top 10, but the Seahawks could easily go OT or QB. It looks like the Chiefs will go defense. I'm thinking Berry or McClain.

Legend
Legend
I'm almost to the point where I'm almost willing to bet that KC nor the Seahawks will take Berry.

EricBerry=Pain2quared

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why would you think that? KC and Seattle both have huge needs in the secondary, especially at safety.

Legend
Legend
i am the insider.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

At this point, I consider it possible that Berry will be there, but not likely.

T
Legend
Legend
T
In response to, this is your argument against taking a defensive player in the first round, my argument for taking an offensive skilled position player in the first round is that a first round investment on an offensive skilled positon player would most help the team.

On offense, you move the ball and score points. On defense, you force turnovers and try to score on that play, or count on the offense again. On offense you already have the ball.

The argument for Help on "D" in the 1st round, is you are comfortable with the offensive skilled positions already on the team, leading you to success in 2010. Already on the team.

On the team, Jamal Lewis is not returning, Anderson and Quinn both failed to produce last year, and the Receivers are as bad as anytime since the Browns returned in 99 except maybe 2008.
So help on D in the 1st round isn't helping the D as much as neglecting the Offense, and it wouldn't matter if you have all hall of famers on defense if the offense can't score or move the ball the team is going to lose.

There is another argument for help on D in the 1st round that I would buy. It is the argument that anybody can just run right through or pass all day on the Browns defense. I know it is way to easy to pass on the Browns defense, but they didn't give up the rushing yards like in 02 and they did get some stops and turnovers.
If the defense is that bad compared to the rest of the league I didn't see it. If the offense is that great compared to the rest of the league, I still can't ignore the players who aren't returning.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The other argument for defense in the first (and I'm going out on a huge limb here) is that the best player available might be a defensive player.

T
Legend
Legend
T
What if the best player doesn't make for the best team. There are so many different parts to football that an investment in one area is definetly confined to that area and does almost nothing to improve the other area.
I could see that the best player would always be the best pick if the sport was basketball or tennis.

So I don't always prefer to look at it as looking for the best player, but for looking for the best player at a certain position based on what the makeup of the team is currently.
Suppose you could only pick the best safety or the best quarterback, even if one was clearly the better player, I think the QB would be the obvious pick if you were maybe the 08 Ravens, Where the safety would be the obvious pick if you were maybe the Colts around 2003 or 2004.

Do you think the best player available is the best pick? I only think that applies to teams who have all the pieces in place and probably made the playoffs last year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
On a team with as many holes as we have. YES the best player at just about any position would also be a position of need. Outside of Left Tackle there is no other position I feel can't be upgraded.

You on the other hand feel a pick on the offensive side of the ball would be the only way to go. My opinion is that every position on the defense could use an upgrade.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Not to bump my own thread, I was gonna start a thread on this guy then thought it'd be better here.

Rolando McClain, anyone?

This is a bit old, from midway through the 2009 season, but he sounds good.

Quote:

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Rolando Mcclain, ILB, Alabama
McClain has been a consistent force for Alabama ever since arriving on campus in 2007. He played in all 13 games as a freshman, and started eight before really exploding into prominence as a sophomore. McClain led the team with 95 tackles last season -- including 12 for a loss -- and was a finalist for the Butkus Award (given to the nation's best linebacker). Through five games of the current season, McClain is playing like he wants to be the winner of that award this time around. He is the undisputed leader of a defense that has been dominant most of the time, and -- at the very least -- able to keep the Crimson Tide undefeated heading into the second half of the 2009 campaign.
The Atlanta, Georgia product is well-respected as one of the biggest hitters and most feared defenders at the college level, and why not? McClain stands in at 6'4'' and 256 pounds and he reportedly runs a 4.6 in the 40-year-dash. That's a scary combination of size and speed to say the least. He has had some minor off-the-field problems in the past, but nothing that has developed into a major red flag or any kind of case for real concern. Plus, he is an Honor Roll student in the classroom and has earned rave reviews from Alabama coaches regarding his work at spring practices. Assuming McClain leaves after his junior season, he could find himself in the Top 10 of the draft if he finishes well and produces at the combine.

Last edited by lampdogg; 02/25/10 10:59 AM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
N
Legend
Legend
N
McClain is fantastic....hard to tell how much he benefited from having Mt. Cody taking up 2 blockers all the time, but he sure seemed like a beast.

Plenty have noted how rare it is for a ILB to go top10...and many are looking to trade back in this draft, so we might not have an opportunity to do that again.

So, the real question is......is he worth the #7 pick?

I say he is...but my wishlist for the Browns is as such and has been for a long time now:

1. Suh
2. Berry
3. Haden
4. McClain

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I've seen his name tossed around on here quite a bit, but I'd never paid any attention to him.

That size & speed combination is rare, and for him to be a top flite ILB as well.... you can bet your bottom dollar that a team like the Ravens will be coveting him as an heir to Ray Lewis.

I can say that I believe I would be perfectly happy with his as the pick, and it even makes me second guess my absolute desire for the first pick to be in our secondary (Berry/Haden).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Just watched come vid on him.. damn.....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, the real question is......is he worth the #7 pick?

I say he is...but my wishlist for the Browns is as such and has been for a long time now:

Here's another one of those players who when I watched the team play I didn't notice him that much .. just others..so what does that tell me?
I'm not high on him...doesn't mean he won't be a good player..I just didn't notice him..
Now Spikes from Florida I did notice a lot..second rounder..

Legend
Legend
Yeah if spikes actually does fall to our second round pick, we could do a lot worse than taking him.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Help on 'D' in 1st round?

Link Copied to Clipboard