Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#464922 02/20/10 12:05 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

How much of a tip do you leave at a restaurant?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/20/10 12:04 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
15% for good service. lf it was exceptional, I leave more. If it was crappy, I leave less.....up to and including nothing. I do take into account if shoddy service was the fault of the waiter

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1st String
1st String
I usually tip around 15-20%...I've tipped as much as 25% if the waiter/waitress was exceptional

Legend
Legend
I tip very well for excellent service. I have tipped over 50% on one occasion for exceptional service.

I tip well for good service.

I refuse to tip well for crappy service, such as waiting for a drink while the waiter/waitress stands around talking to another employee ........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
15-20 and depends on the service. Ill go over or under.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It just got me thinking after having an excellent waitress last night who was always smiling, came back frequently and was very prompt.

I typically tip around 15%, but like you said, I will type more or less depending on the service. But I always tip, even if the service was crappy. They'll just get less. Usually about 10% if they were bad, and 20% if they were better than your normal server.

I know a few weeks back we were at BW3s watching the playoffs, and the waitress was awful, never brought my beer for well over 20 minutes before I got up myself, went to the bar and got it myself. I actually saw someone pouring the Honey Brown at the bar, assumed it was mine, then watched her walk past me and drop it off at another table. My brother made a comment about leaving a $2 tip for around a $20+ bill. But she never came to check on us, we had to keep calling her over and she was just awful. But I still always leave some kind of tip.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Between 10 and 20% or ocassinally more depending if the change works out that way to where I just hand them the cash with the bill and say " we are all set". If service was poor I would give 10%,if it was average to good I would give 15%. If it is excellent I will give 20%. If service is so bad that I would leave no tip most likely I would have gotten up and left before it ever go to the point of talking about a tip.

Today at breakfast I left like 40%,bill for me and my son came to right about $14 so I handed her a $20 and told her "we are all set" rather than sit there and wait for her to bring back $2 .

I swear it had nothing to do with the fact that she looked like she could be a member of the Swedish Bikini Squad

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

But she never came to check on us, we had to keep calling her over and she was just awful. But I still always leave some kind of tip.

sorry, but that would deserve no tip... I mean she didn't really do anything to deserve it. For someone who knows they get paid on tips, they should be making sure they actually earn it.. Too many waiters just expect to get tipped rather than going out and earning it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
~TuX~ #464930 02/21/10 10:27 PM
Legend
Legend
I will never tip nothing for bad service.

I will leave a miniscule tip just to make a point. Sometimes I will also leave a note why.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I will leave a miniscule tip just to make a point. Sometimes I will also leave a note why.

I left a "tip" note once, after the waitress wouldn't stop over at our table the whole night.. she was too busy flirting with a couple of guys and pretty much ignored a table of 6.. and we always left decent tips as well. Good thing it wasn't at a place where they automatically figure in the tip on large tables.. All she did with our table was take our orders and bring it to us... No refills.. No how was everything... she didn't even bother looking.. and it wasn't like it was busy in there either... it was at like 11pm..

But as for now.. I always have a slight argument with my wife over tipping.. she thinks I tip too much..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
~TuX~ #464932 02/22/10 10:01 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
If the service is good I normally tip 20% then it goes down from there.

I never leave no tip. It gets the servers attention more if you leave a little rather than nothing at all. If you leave nothing they assume it was a mistake. If you leave .50 cents there is no confusion. I just left a bad tip. Now you figure out why.

G
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
G
Usually at least 20% at restaurants. For guys deliverying an applicance or furniture we'll usually give them $20 apiece. My barber gets at least $5.

gone #464934 02/24/10 06:17 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

For guys deliverying an applicance or furniture we'll usually give them $20 apiece.

Wow. I had no idea you were supposed to tip the delivery guys. Do you do this even if you pay extra for home delivery?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
20% or more......but it depends.

For the Waffle House counter help, I might leave 100%. The tab total makes a big difference. Not so much in what I pay as much as what I think that person is actually making and deserves from me.

At a nice place where I might order a bottle of wine that runs $80 or more, I take that in to account in how I factor the tip and I might not add $15 extra just for uncorking a bottle that was over priced to begin with.

At bars, I factor the time I was there. When I go to the bar to watch the browns, I am there 3-4 hours. My actual tab might run $20. I would feel like a heel if I gave the tender $3-4 tip....how cheap is that??

I add $3 a hour to the total, so she gets $12 minimum for the time plus the appropriate tip for the bill.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I always leave something unless the server is downright rude, and then I talk to the manager or chef who I generally know at least fairly well......if they don't come to me to ask for feedback, I ask to speak to them....especially when I want to compliment them.

You want someone to remember you, make a point of telling them good job and leave good tips.

You somehow get bumped up to near the top of the waiting list when you walk in and always seem to get the same server and perks from the kitchen..

I will always leave a few bucks, but I always make it a point of telling the person to their face....so they remember me because I don't go to new places all that often and eat out often....so if I am given their table again, I want them to remember the things that I found disappointing.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
If you tip a person for bringing a pizza, or bags to your room, why wouldn't you tip someone who delivers a piano???

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Because I paid a 20-40 dollar delivery charge? If it's proper etiquette to tip them, I'll do it next time. I was unaware.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Worked for tip money before. At least 15% if OK service, up to 25% if outstanding or something exceptional done for us. Some of my friends are tightwads who work harder than servers to figure out how little. One even looks for "lousy" service so as not to tip at all. I tip.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Peen I just read through your posts and agree with all of it..

I usually start at 20% instead of 15%.. good service can go up to 25-30%.. bad service down to 10-15%... if I'm compelled to go below 10% then I'm talking to a manager. That's for a "typical" restaurant visit.

I also agree on the wine thing.. if I order a $60 bottle of wine it takes the same level of service as if I ordered a $30 bottle of wine so I will figure that in.

If I sit a bar for a long time I base it more on time than on the check. Heck I went to a Browns Backers Club once and had something to do after so I couldn't drink.. I had Diet Coke. It was a good game and I was excited and ended up having 4 or 5 refills on the Diet Coke over 3 1/2 hours... I asked for my check and she said not to worry about it so I just gave her a $10... what percentage is a $10 tip on a $0 check?

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
10% or less if service is really horrible. Fortunately I've never had that happen.
15% for average.
20%+ for exceptional.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
always 20% and i'll go over if it was really good. only a handful of cases where i tip 17-19% and that's for pretty bad service.

as far as i'm concerned, if i decide i can go out and eat somewhere, i can afford to leave a good tip. their jobs don't pay well and i'm not saving money off of someone else.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

what percentage is a $10 tip on a $0 check?

undefined, big spender!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Since I have previously worked for years in the service industry I will ALWAYS tip at least 15%.

And unless someone is a complete jerk its inappropriate to tip any less than 10%.

Bad tippers are always remembered----and often times they get the service they deserve.

I remember this one customer who always tipped one dollar no matter what---he would come in every thursday. He always wanted his drinks, then his food, and then he wanted his check---all right away. He often wanted his check on the table before he even got his food.

He was a cheap piece of crap who ordered the same thing EVERY time. His check was always the same and he always tipped a dollar. No one ever wanted his table, and it got to a point where no one would take that table and he would sit there for ten minutes or so before anyone got to him. And whoever got his table never gave two nickels about his service-----he was only going to tip a dollar max anyways---so why put any effort forth?!?

He eventually got the hint and stopped coming in to eat. We all treated his table with the least bit of priority. We would make sure to take care of the other tables---especially those tables who were known to be good tippers, and that other jackass would be forced to wait until we were good and ready to bring him his grub.

We called him Goldilocks because of his flowing blonde locks. Occasionally he would complain about the service but no one cared. You tip a dollar, You get what you pay for. No server is going to go out of his or her way for a dollar.

You want good service---you gotta pay for it. And if you frequent a particular restaurant---then the servers know you and they know what to expect. And if you are stingy with your tipping----then they will grow stingy with the service.

Another thing that was annoying is when people would get a little drunk and after running up a tab with like 5 beers and a few shots and you ask them if they are ready for their check----then they say something like; "I don't need that, why don't you take it."

My favorite response was always; "I would; but I don't come to work to pay for other people's drinks----while I am working I would actually like to make some money."

I distinctly remember saying that to some drunken moron at a table full of his friends. When I handed him his bill he slapped it against my chest and was like---"how about you take it."

I used that line and everyone laughed at his idiocy. He was a horrible tipper anyways so I didn't care one way or the other.

That is part of the danger of being a poor tipper. The waiter will remember any negative trends and can eventually get to a point where they don't care one way or the other.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Legend
Legend
I'm a 20% tipper as the base. If it's bad service I'm still going to leave 10% although I have thought I should just leave a note saying, "when whittling, always whittle away from your body", after all, it's a potential life saving tip that should be the most valuable of all.

#GMSTRONG
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
10 % minimum, the rest depends on the service.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I leave 20% typically. I leave less if I feel the service wasn't good. For the most part though, you know when you go to a resteraunt that the tip is part of the deal, and to leave less than 15% if the service is avg is a total Dbag move. Thats how the person makes a living, you know that going in. Dont want to tip, then go a place with take out etc..

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Tipping at a restaurant is easy. If the server is awesome 20%+, good 20%, average 15-18%, and horrible 0-5%. I know the 0-5% is bad form but you really have to try to be a bad waitor (coming over only twice, barely talking, not bring drink refills after being asked 3 times, refusing to give the bill, acting like a dbag cause you don't like being a waitor). I've given the "horrible" tip twice in my life and the guys EARNED them both.

And yes, I always take into consideration how many table the guy/girl has. If it's crazy busy, I don't hold them to a high standard.

The one that gets me, is the bartender. "Can I get a Bud Lite?" "Sure, that's $4." You then give them $5? For doing 5 seconds of work? That's a 25% tip for nothing. At least a waitor works for 30-60 minutes for their 20%....but 25% for picking up a bottle and handing it to you? Ugh.

It's different when you're at the bar for a while, ordering multiple drinks, talking, ordering some fries....I get that. One beer, forget it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
My understanding is that TIPS stands for "To Insure Proper Service" If that's the case, wouldn't it be important to tip before you are served?

Just kidding

I Tip well (20% or more) when I receive good service. Less if it's average, and I've been known to give Nothing if the service sucks.. (have only done that once in my life, the service was horrific)

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
Now let's add to this conversation another aspect of tipping that I see many doing what I feel is improper.

Discounts, I see people all the time that will give a coupon or gift card to the waitress to ring up a new total with, and then tip on the new lower total. To me that's not right, you tip on the original amount.

Often if I it's $1 drafts and 1/2 priced appetizers I will figure that into my tipping as well, As my $20 tab may have been $30-40 if it wasn't for those specials, and it's not going to kill me to leave $8 vs $4.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree. I just think too many people are cheap bastards.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
That's a good point. I've always tipped according to the final bill. Now I feel like a schmuck.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus The tipping poll

Link Copied to Clipboard