Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Hey if there are any people on this board who are social workers,or teachers or who have knowledge of this subject,help me out here.

Ok I know if a teacher or a administrator is told by a kid that they are being abused that the teacher or whatever is required by law to report this abuse to the authorities. Does the same apply to anybody who is in a authority position over kids? Like Boy Scout leaders or youth group leaders? Would this apply to a youth minister?

This kid went to a associate pastor who is also the youth ministry leader and told him that he was being physically abused by his mom and step dad,who are long time members of the church. The kid also told the youth minister that his parents were growing and selling weed. Instead of contacting the authorities the youth minister went back and told the kids parents,putting the kid in more danger.

Isnt the youth minister legally in the wrong?

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
1) I'm pretty sure the legal ramifications would differ state-to-state so something that might apply in one place, may not apply to your state.

2) I'm guessing, but I think the "teachers must report abuse to child services" is more of a school district type guideline, rather than a legal requirement.

3) Have you reported this to child services yourself?

U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Depends on the laws of the individual state. Each state's "mandated reporting" laws apply to different categories of people.

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.pcao.org/whatis/suspect.cfm

Edit: The list of mandated reporters in that link is not all inclusive. Just an FYI.

Last edited by urbrowns; 02/22/10 09:42 PM.
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Here's a link to the actual Mandatory Reporting Act in Ohio:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2151.421

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As others have pointed out, it differs from state to state. In this case, I believe the pastor has a moral but not legal obligation to report the parents to the authorities.

I would also suggest that you report the parents to child services as well since you know about the situation and one adult(the pastor) not reporting the parents is bad enough.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know about legally, but morally yes, he has an obligation to tell the authorities.

And now that you know of the situation, you have a moral obligation to go to the authorities yourself.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I wish I was at home right now, my wife is a licensed juvenile counselor working for a state juvenile correctional facility. We could ask her.

But, aside from the above links, I think the youth minister may have been a bit foolish but not breaking any laws concerning mandatory reporting.

The child may be lying for any number of reasons, or he could be telling the truth. That should be ascertained by speaking with the proper authorities and no matter who calls cops, you can bet the parents will go berserk.

And lastly, just because you call children services, does not mean that he will be taken out of the home or that they will be brought up on charges. It is unfortunate because a lot of kids have morons for parents and no matter what happens judges just don't like separating families. My wife sees a lot of kids whose parents are NOT parents at all and a legal system that is supposed to protect kids but in the end doesn't. Then they wind up in juvey.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Many have come to the thought that you should report it, but after having someone close to me get accused of it, based solely on the story of a 4 year old. then having DCF and the police investigate, all the while the story by the girl kept changing each time she was asked to tell it, to the point that the suspect in the story it wasn't even the person originally suspected. Because his name was involved he has been investigated, put through mental stress like you wouldn't believe, because the stigma of such accusations will carry with you for a long time if they get out, even if you are cleared and it's proven false.

Needless to say, it's been under investigation for 2 months, he is much more relaxed about it now, but it is still not a closed case. This has caused him and his family a lot of anguish and stress, and since has ruin a relationship he was in.

So while I think you have to watch out for the children, I think the system is severely skewed toward the children's side(and in many cases rightfully so), even when there is little to no evidence to support it, and accusations alone can ruin someones life. All it takes is a well planned out story by a child, and charges can be brought with little or no physical evidence.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't know about legally, but morally yes, he has an obligation to tell the authorities.

And now that you know of the situation, you have a moral obligation to go to the authorities yourself.

The authorities are already involved,and I actually heard the parents are in jail right now pending posting of a bond. The teen is in a temporary foster home awaiting apporoval to go stay with his grown sister.

I was just wondering more what actions can be taken against the pastor legally besides the ones that will be taken by the church itself.

KING

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My Ex works for Childrens Services in Franklin County.. I'll ask.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
THX Saint.

To add to the story,the parents were arrested yesterday. I was told today that the father killed himself. I have not found out if he was still in jail or if he got bond and then did it.

I think there is a about to be a lot more to come out about this guy that he decided to kill himself. I know for sure not long back he was beating the mother so I am kind of thinkink they were all victims of this guy.

I just hope now the kid isnt going to be feeling to much guilt,he is really a great kid.

KING

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wow.. I think this story is getting some media attention now.. I think I found it on Digg... but of course it has a different take on the story... just that the son ratted the father out for growing pot... and nothing him being abused... but it links to a Pro-drug site.. which would explain why. or it could a different story...

different link than the one on Digg.

Last edited by ~TuX~; 02/25/10 04:19 PM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wow.. I think this story is getting some media attention now.. I think I found it on Digg... but of course it has a different take on the story... just that the son ratted the father out for growing pot... and nothing him being abused... but it links to a Pro-drug site.. which would explain why. or it could a different story...

The reason thueir pot growing was discovered was because the kid went and told that he was being abused. I know for a fact that the guy has beaten on his wife,so I tend to believe that he beats on his kid also.

KING

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

The reason thueir pot growing was discovered was because the kid went and told that he was being abused. I know for a fact that the guy has beaten on his wife,so I tend to believe that he beats on his kid also.

KING

bad part is the media is saying nothing about the physical abuse.. just stating it as if the kid just told the cops that his father was growing pot.. which to a lot of people are saying.. "this is why the war on drugs is bad".. but the media is leaving out a big part of the picture that changes the outlook of the accused man.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kingo.. I got an email back from my ex.. she thinks the pastor is included in the group that you call "Mandated Reporters" meaning if they know, they have to tell Childrens Services..

Now then, as pointed out earlier.. it's different everywhere.

Here was her response, hopefully it means something to you.. I only copied and pasted your original question.

I am not sure if they are mandated reporters. Anyone can make a report-including this person. Growing and selling weed is only a child welfare issues if it puts a child's safety at risk. What is the physical abuse? Suggest that they call this in to child welfare-need details of abuse, including an address.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
THX Saint,that is good info.

KING

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Child Abuse Reporting Regulations Question

Link Copied to Clipboard