Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
web page

Santonio Holmes sued for assault, battery
Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2010 9:37 AM ET
SantonioHolmes.jpgQuarterback Ben Roethlisberger isn't the only member of the Steelers currently facing challenges via the legal system.

Receiver Santonio Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, faces a civil lawsuit for assault and battery.

According to CourtHouseNews.com, the suit was filed on March 24, 2010 for an incident occurring only two weeks earlier in Orlando.

Specifically, the incident occurred on March 7 -- only two days after Roethlisberger's latest misadventures. And this possibly proves once again that players learn nothing from the misadventures of their colleagues.

The civil complaint contends that Holmes confronted plaintiff Anshonoe Mills after she refused to leave the arm of a couch in the VIP area of the Rain nightclub. Holmes allegedly "put his hand" in Mills' face while attempting to remove her from the couch. Holmes then allegedly "threw his entire glass cup of liquor" at Mills' face, allegedly causing a laceration below her eyebrow and "blinding her temporarily."

She claims that, outside the club, she asked a police office to "reprimand" Holmes for his conduct. The complaint then alleges that "he" (it's unclear whether the pronoun refers to the officer or Holmes) "proceeded to inform the plaintiff that he was an NFL football player and that he could not face criminal charges." Mills also alleges that Holmes then "offered to give [her] money because he was a [sic] NFL star and could not get into trouble."

Mills claims that she "felt pressure from [Holmes] and the Orlando Police Department not to press chargers," and that while under said pressure he made "a short victim statement incoherently stating that she was hit in the face and bleeding near her eyes, however, intended not to press charges." She claims that the Orlando Police Department failed to write a police report.

Holmes faces claims of assault, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The owner of the club at which the incident occurred also faces a claim for negligent failure to provide adequate protection. (Hopefully, the security tapes haven't been covered up with new footage.) Mills seeks unspecified damages in excess of the jurisdictional minimum of $15,000.

Stay tuned for more.

UPDATE: I've spoken with attorney Jacques Cooper, who has confirmed that he represents Mills and that the action was filed last week. He said that he has a copy of the "short victim statement," and he asked me to call him back this afternoon to discuss the situation in further detail because, as he explained it, he is in Jacksonville preparing to enter a court hearing.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Who is dumber Holmes or this woman ?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Sounds like they are both sharing the same brain.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Another Steeler idiot. How embarassing is this for the city of Pittsburgh?

- A quarterback who is being charged with sexual assault - again. And a wide receiver who likes to go around abusing women. - Isn't this the third time Holmes has been in trouble?

I am so glad that we have a management and ownership team that places value on good principles, and respect for other people.

Hey Rooneys, keep letting this continue, and you will continue to get embarassed on the playing feild by your brethren in the AFC North - just like last year.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Who was that Steeler WR they cut because they said he violated his contract for breaking the law in a domestic dispute? I think it was Cedrick Wilson. Well, Holmes couldnt be much worse and they wont think to waive him. It just shows that if you have the skills, some teams put them above the law and thats why the players feel they can get away with it. Im not saying the Browns organization has never done this. One year under Butch Davis, alot of players were getting arrested on gun and weed related crimes. Gerard Warren was a rookie and kept around (leaving Plexigos house with a un-liscenced handgun) and a young CB prospect that was caught with weed. Frank Sellers was released and he was with the CB.

I do think some cops are scared about arresting high profile sports figures.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
*in best Vince McMahon voice* I hope Santonio Holmes is FINED and SUSPENDED!!!!

Seriously, Santurdio was dead to me the moment he put on Satan's jersey and helmet.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Another Steeler idiot. How embarassing is this for the city of Pittsburgh?

- A quarterback who is being charged with sexual assault - again. And a wide receiver who likes to go around abusing women. - Isn't this the third time Holmes has been in trouble?

I am so glad that we have a management and ownership team that places value on good principles, and respect for other people.

Hey Rooneys, keep letting this continue, and you will continue to get embarassed on the playing feild by your brethren in the AFC North - just like last year.

I will take all their drama times ten for their performance on the field over the last 5+ years!

Let's not throw stones - we had Braylon punching a star's friend, Tucker using steroids, and several other off-field issues.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

and several other off-field issues.

Which included a WR killing a guy while drunk in Miami. The Browns have had their players in the headlines for lots of other things too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And let's not forget that Big Ben and Holmes are both Ohio guys!

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

and several other off-field issues.

Which included a WR killing a guy while drunk in Miami. The Browns have had their players in the headlines for lots of other things too.

And the Browns cut Stallworth once reinstated, and quickly shipped Braylon to NY.

The Steelers said they wouldn't put up with that kind of behavior when Cedrick Wilson hit is girlfriend (I believe that is who he hit), and he was subsequently cut. Then James Harrison does the same, and whaddyaknow? It's easy to say that they will not tolerate that behavior and cut a player who doesn't contribute much. It looks like they are setting an example and coming down hard. Then the excuses are made and when Harrison is in the same situation, and he remains with the team. Holmes has been in trouble at least 3 times during his time there, and now Ben with some very serious allegations.

Sure, the Browns have had issues, as have all teams. But those guys pretty much never played again for us after those incidents.

Now the Bengals, they take it to a whole new level. Not only do their players find themselves in the back of a squad car more than those Cincitucky inbreds have extra genes, they also SIGN guys with known criminal and drug histories.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Let's not throw stones - we had Braylon punching a star's friend, Tucker using steroids, and several other off-field issues.

- Braylon was released the next day.

- Stallworth's contract was terminated

- Tucker is no longer with the team

Roethlisberger and Holmes are still with the Steelers. Like I noted, if the Rooneys continue to let this happen, the Steelers will continue to get embarassed on the feild like they did by us and the rest of our division.

I applaud Randy Lerner and Mike Holmgren for not putting up with these antics.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If this is true (big if) then Holmes will be suspended right?

He has been in trouble before.

Can you imagine if Roetlisberger and Holmes both got suspended? Pretty crazy.

I just know if I was a millionaire (and I wanted to go to strip clubs) I wouldn't be going to any strip clubs. The strip clubs would be coming to me.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Doesn't cost that much to put a pole in your house. Hell, they are already in the basement in most houses. Just fix 'em up a bit.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Police report now being filed?

Police report coming on Santonio Holmes incident
Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2010 12:02 PM ET

In her lawsuit against Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes, Anshoenoe Mills alleges that the Orlando Police Department failed to prepare a formal police report after Mills complained to an officer that Holmes threw a drink that cut her under the eyebrow.

That could be changing.

OPD spokesperson Barbara Jones tells us that "the report has not been completed in the system," which implies strongly that a report is coming. Which implies strongly that the matter has not been closed.

We've separately learned that Holmes will contend that, while he was indeed present at the time of the incident, another person threw the drink at Mills.

Neither the Steelers nor Holmes have commented on the situation.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Anshoenoe

Is that a play on words?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's easy to say that they will not tolerate that behavior and cut a player who doesn't contribute much.

It's easier for us ... since hardly any of our players contribute.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ha, true.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

We've separately learned that Holmes will contend that, while he was indeed present at the time of the incident, another person threw the drink at Mills.

Sounds like he has Carmelo Anthonys lawyer and he has a buddy in his entourage willing to take the rap.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just know if I was a millionaire (and I wanted to go to strip clubs) I wouldn't be going to any strip clubs. The strip clubs would be coming to me.

I know they aren't millionaires.. but ask the Duke Lacrosse team how well that works... Being out in public at least you have objective witnesses.. if you bring them into your home and they claim rape/assault/foul play... then it is your word against theirs completely...

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Santonio Holmes sued for assault and battery

Link Copied to Clipboard