Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
I know we need a lot, but since we have 10 picks, I'd like to see the Browns trade one of the 3rds for a 2011 2nd rounder....look for a desperate team with a chance to suck (b/c of schedule, QB issues, etc) and you could be looking at a top 15 2nd round pick

I've always been a fan of that especially since we have 3 3rds this year

Thoughts?

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I've been thinking a lot about something similar the last few days. And the result is that I'm still torn. Here are the opposing side for my argument with myself...

A) this is an uncapped year and next year may not be. as well this is a deep draft year, next year may not be. first, it might be better to stockpile picks this year to take advantage of a deep draft. second, front loaded contract with small bonuses (say instead of 5 years 50 mil with 25 bonus, 5 years 50 mil with 1 bonus and 24 first year's salary) might put our future cap situation into really good shape (assuming there is one in the future) without screwing us now (same first year payout regardless in my example). for this, I'd be tempted to trade next year's picks for some more this year. I've wondered if the Browns are the team that has offered a 2nd this year and 1st next year for Oakland's first this year...

B) Getting more first rounders next year could be a huge advantage if (1) the qb class is as good as it has the potential to be (4 1st rounders possibly) and/or (2) a rookie wage system is set up for next year with a new CBA.

I'm really torn on this.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Great points, clwb419. I was originally thinking "No thanks!" because of how deep this class is (perceived to be), but now you've got me fence sitting! I think one thing is for sure - we'll be wheeling and dealing in SOME way this draft...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
I wasn't thinking about trying to get another first rounder because we'd have to give up our 2nd this year and I don't think that is a good move. I'm thinking more along the lines our our 2nd or 3rd pick in the 3rd round....trying to get a second next year...

Since 3rd rounders don't make much money, I don't think the cap comes into play....

In terms of Oakland's pick....I guess I may be in the minority in thinking that while some may consider this a deep draft, I don't think it is very top heavy. I'd only do that if I really felt that Clausen was THE guy to have b/c you would spend one on him and then try to get a Eric Berry, Joe Haden, or O-line with the other one

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
I'm all for it, especially if it's a first for our second. That would make it a lot easier to go up and get a qb next year, or if we have the season most anticipate, to take a franchise qb and STILL have a 1st rounder. Heck, I'd like to see them move one of our fifths for a fourth and/or a third for a second.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Hers a scenario. First two obvious points, Baltimore may
A) not want to trade with us, or
B) Not want to trade up.
But anyway how about we:
Trade down with Baltimore sending the number seven to them for number twenty five, Jared Gaither and a second and third next year.( I am not sure what the exact compensation would have to be but would assume more than one pick next year.)
At twenty five we go BPA in a needed area CB,Safety, WR etc.
I.E. Taylor Mays, Golden Tate etc.
Then next year we package the picks necessary to move and take our franchise QB.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
the best way to draft our franchise QB next year is to lose alot of games this year

C
Legend
Legend
C
There should be a couple to choose from next year (Luck, Locker, Mallett, Ponder, Johnson, and Keenum).

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

the best way to draft our franchise QB next year is to lose alot of games this year

Yeah, I guess that would work too. I was actually basing the whole thing on the Browns improving this year. I also think the QB class next year will be stronger.

Legend
Legend
I'd rather keep the three 3rd's while trading our 1st and 2nd to San Fran for their two 1st. The draft chart says is a decent trade for both teams. Why San Fran would want to do....don't care, it's fun to think of possible outcomes.

Browns = 7 (1500) & 38 (520)
49ers = 13 (1150) & 17 (950)

Could even toss them a 5th to shave down the 80 point difference.

I know, I know....the draft value chart is just a guide. And I'm only using it that way for discussion.

Of course, a trade like this only works if you know the two guys you want will be there at 13 and 17. AND that you can't find someone to fit the same roll with your 2nd rounder. Unlikely....but again, something fun to think about.

Imagine getting two of these:

Odrick (DT), JPP (DE), Haden (CB), Iupati (T), Morgan (DE), Davis (T), Thomas (S)...possibilities are endless.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
Those two firsts are much more valuable than our 1st and 2nd because of the salary a team will have to pay the #7 pick and the great depth of talent in this draft.

Legend
Legend
I agree. Besides Seattle, SF has the best situation in the draft. Then NE.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I agree. Besides Seattle, SF has the best situation in the draft. Then NE.

I agree with that order. harder one to determine, after that list, who would be in the next best situation?

Philly? Or Cleveland? (someone else?)

I would think it is us, especially if we can trade back, but having so many picks and lower $$$ dedicated on that top pick certainly helps Philly's case.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would say New England is set up the best. They have a late 1st and three 2nd rounders. They can do anything they want in this draft. And they also already have Oakland's 1st rounder for 2011, so they can trade their 1st rounder in 2011 if they want to move up a lot (Dez Bryant?).

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Trade 2010 pick for 2011 pick?

Link Copied to Clipboard